Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Old 07-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Giant Squid -- San Francisco, CA -- July 1st, 2011

Cormorant:

New Song
New Song
Confusion of Tongues (New Song)
Ballad of the Beast
New Song

So Cormorant basically are the greatest band ever. That's all you need to know. Go buy everything from them because they are one of the finest metal bands on the planet and are all very nice people who are really genuine. All of the new stuff was absolutely bonkers and so much more varied than Metazoa. Throughout their set I was thinking between Jethro Tull, Whiplash-esque thrash sections, beating doom riffs and death metal. One of the new songs was introduced as Confusion of Tongues, which is the most bitchin' track ever, my favorite of the new ones I heard. Their sound convalesced into a rainbow of happiness and smiles, where all who heard them were instantly made happy. In seriousness, though, Metazoa is one of my favorite albums of all time and this new stuff sounds better. A lot better. Plus, seeing them throw in Ballad of the Beast is just insane, a song I thought they would never do live.

Giant Squid:

Tongue Stones*
Mating Scars*
Snakehead*
Figura Serpentinata*
Cenotes*
La Brea Tar Pits
Throwing a Donner Party at Sea
Revolution in the Water
?

* = New

So basically Giant Squid are the second greatest band ever. Okay, no, I'm not that lazy, but I'm going to gush over this band too. I was a little bit queasy about hearing the new Giant Squid material, because I was so afraid they wouldn't be able to live up to the excellent The Ichthyologist and the even more excellent Metridium Fields. Fortunately, they did, but in a much different way. The new material was heavy. I mean, really fucking heavy. It was like those moments at the end of La Brea Tar Pits and Neonate heavy, but the whole way through. Jackie continues to be an inspiration as a cellist, and her presence has become one of the defining characteristics of Giant Squid. So all of Cenotes was quite a treat, as was hearing two live staples in La Brea Tar Pits and Donner Party, but hearing Revolution in the Water was surreal. They played a last song that was labeled on the setlist as 'Rain' but I was unable to recognize it from anywhere. Also, I never thought I'd see the day where Neonate wasn't in the setlist, but it wasn't.

I had a great talk after the show with Arthur, where I thanked him for being such an awesome musician. He was legitimately thankful, and that was nice to see. He said he recognizes me for promoting his band online and that took me way by surprise. I live for shows like this.

Last edited by idrinkwine732; 07-02-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Notwithstanding how much shit I've been giving you and Slappy recently for going to this show (that is, considering how little I've been on here lately ), I'm genuinely stoked to read this gig report and find out how much you enjoyed this show. If there was any way humanly possible that I could have attended this gig, I absolutely would have. Congrats, and nicely done. Revolution in the Water, eh? Very nice.

Sounds like Cenotes is going to be a motherfucker, as is the new Cormorant - as if 2011 could get any better.

EDIT: Too bad that song "Rain" wasn't a cover of this.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 07-02-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Buahahahahaha

This was a really great show. Show of the year so far for me. Every band played really well. My only gripe I could say was the lack of Neonate, and knowing that I'll have to wait at least another year to see it live.

Cormorant had this sweet deal where you got a shirt, poster, sticker, and CD of your choice for $20. I ended up getting the Metazoa shirt and The Last Tree. I talked to Arthur for a bit and just told him how much I love his music and the bass work on Metazoa. Something a little awkward though was after I got all my merch, I meet up with my buddies who were sitting at a bench and after I put all my Cormorant swag down I noticed that my $20 bill was still in between my shirt and CD, so I rushed back to the Cormorant table and gave Arthur the money. It was kinda weird because he didn't recall taking the bill, but didn't want to feel like he was taking my money, but I assured him that it was the $20 they I intended to pay and accidentally forgot too . He ended up giving me a couple extra stickers.

All in all, amazing show and I can't wait to hear the new Cormorant album. Cenotes I'm looking forward to listening to again when it comes out in October.
8/30 Whirr
9/3 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Punch (?)
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 07-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Slap, either you or Wine should take a picture of the merch and post it here. I would be much obliged.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Buahahahahaha

It's too late for that...

Giant Squid you can get here:
http://cottoncrustacean.blogspot.com/

Cormorant:
http://cormorantmusic.blogspot.com/
8/30 Whirr
9/3 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Punch (?)
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 07-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

I just wanted to see what the Cormorant poster looks like. I'm curious to see if the artwork resembles what some of the Profound Lore bands have done with their posters, and GY!BE.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Buahahahahaha

It looks just like the cover to Metazoa.

8/30 Whirr
9/3 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Punch (?)
10/30 KING DIAMOND

Tags
cormorant, giant squid