Grindcore Fest -- Los Angeles, CA -- July 12th, 2014
Midnight -- Toronto, Ontario -- July 12th, 2014
Satanic Warmaster -- Mexico City, Mexico -- July 5th, 2014
Dying Fetus -- Merriam, KS -- July 12th, 2014
Phobia -- Tempe, AZ -- July 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 06-29-2011, 03:30 PM
The time has come for all to see the men behind the curtain cast into disease

Everyone's got their favorite Maiden album, so here's mine. If you regularly post on this board, then I really don't need to tell you why this album is so great. It's Maiden, one of the, if not, the greatest heavy metal band of all time, at one of their finest moments. The opening one-two punch of "Aces High" and "2 Minutes to Midnight" is one of the greatest album openers in metal history. The middle of the album has some truly underrated songs, my favorite probably being "Back in the Village," as I've always been a fan of Maiden's speedier, up-tempo songs. But the end of the album is what seals the deal for me. The middle-eastern influenced riffing combined with traditional Maiden style on the album's title track makes it stand out as one of the best songs of Maiden's career. And last but certainly not least, possibly my favorite Maiden song of all time, the 13-and-a-half minute epic, "Rime of the Ancient Mariner." What makes this song so great is that it truly takes you on a journey (a good modern example of such a song would be Mastodon's "The Last Baron"). A true classic.

Standout Track
Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Last edited by makethemsuffer12; 06-30-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Did somebody say Fair Warning? Lord strike that poor boy down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post

Everyone's got their favorite Maiden album, so here's mine. If you regularly post on this board, then I really don't need to tell you why this album is so great. It's Maiden, one of the, if not, the greatest heavy metal band of all time, at one of their finest moments. The opening one-two punch of "Aces High" and "2 Minutes to Midnight" is one of the greatest album openers in metal history. The middle of the album has some truly underrated songs, my favorite probably being "Back in the Village," as I've always been a fan of Maiden's speedier, up-tempo songs. But the end of the album is what seals the deal for me. The middle-eastern influenced riffing combined with traditional Maiden style on the album's title track makes it stand out as one of the best songs of Maiden's career. And last but certainly not least, possibly my favorite Maiden song of all time, the 13-and-a-half minute epic, "Rime of the Ancient Mariner." What makes this song so great is that it truly takes you on a journey (a good modern example of such a song would be Mastodon's "The Last Baron"). A true classic.

Standout Track
Old 06-30-2011, 08:01 AM
N00B

Locust has grown on me every time I listen to it. I love when a song gets better and better with each listen. The one song that took a while to grow on me on The Blackening was A Farewell to Arms. At first I thought the song was just okay, but now I love it.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Great choices so far dude. None of them are on my own personal list of favorites, but they are all fantastic albums. I look forward to seeing the rest of the list.
8/9 Summer Slaughter
9/28 Coheed

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Great choices so far dude. None of them are on my own personal list of favorites, but they are all fantastic albums. I look forward to seeing the rest of the list.
That's kinda funny, because my next choice is...
Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 AM

(Shogun)

Aaaaaaand this is where people are going to get butthurt. "A Trivium album above a Maiden album???!! BLASPHEMYYYYY ARRRGGHHHH!!!!!11" Trivium has been one of my favorite bands for a while now, and while I wouldn't say they're a better band than Maiden by any means, they'll always have a special place in my heart. It also helps that this album is absolutely monstrous. It is the album that combines all of the elements that has made Trivium great in the past and at the same time managed to shut some of the haters up. The band's musicianship and songwriting has never been better than on this album. Stylistically, the band takes their thrash, prog, and melodeath influences and combines them with their pop-esque melodic sensibility found on their previous releases. All these elements combine to create a heavy, technically proficient, and accessible metal album that really stands out, IMO. If you still doubt me, then listen to the album's epic title track (their masterpiece, if you ask me) to truly see what this band is capable of.

Standout Track
Shogun
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:

Standout Track
why is this album so great?

no seriously
Old 06-30-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
why is this album so great?

no seriously
Listen to it.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
That's kinda funny, because my next choice is...
You bastard You were on a good roll too....
8/9 Summer Slaughter
9/28 Coheed

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 06-30-2011, 12:31 PM
N00B

I''m definitely not hating on Shogun like most people probably will. It is another album that would be in my top 10. Our lists are pretty close so far. I hate how people will rip this album and probably never listened to it. It is a great metal record from guitar work to drums to vocals. Just give it a chance. If you haven't listened to it, just listen to Insurrection and tell me how that's not a good song.