Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 06-25-2011, 08:12 PM
welp

MAKETHEMSUFFER12's Top 10 Favorite Albums

Because we all like making pointless lists to show how cool we think our musical tastes and opinions are, I said "Fuck it! Let's do this!"

So as the title informs you, here comes my top 10 favorite albums and why I like 'em. I'm not sure how often I will update this, but I hope some of you guys enjoy it either way.

Well, where do I start? Many thrash fans would agree that Testament are in the top tier of thrash bands in terms of quality, musicianship, and all-around awesomeness. The band, in my eyes, have not released a single bad album and this one takes the cake for me. This album is pure thrash metal greatness from start to finish. From the eerie(pun intended), mysterious intro to "Eerie Inhabitants", to classic tracks like "Trial by Fire" and "Disciples of the Watch," and an excellent cover of Aerosmith's "Nobody's Fault," this album is an absolute must-have for any metal fan. The production, like Testament's other early releases, is not the best, but at the same time it gives it a special feel. Chuck Billy's vocals are absolutely ferocious, Eric Peterson's style of riffing is unique and instantly recognizable, Alex Skolnick's lead work is leaps and bounds above his peers with a style all his own, and bassist Greg Christian and drummer Louie Clemente are a tight rhythm section. What makes Testament so great on this album is that they take plenty of influence from bands that came before them (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, etc.), yet they play in a way that is totally their own and unlike any of their peers.

Standout Track:
The New Order
Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Rats off to ya

At least it's not another top 100. I Look forward to the rest of the list bro.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 PM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
At least it's not another top 100. I Look forward to the rest of the list bro.
Dude I don't even think I've listened to 100 entire albums.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 PM
That Guy

Great start!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:12 PM
welp

Oh yes. The band/album that turned me into a death metal fan. In my very early metal days (late '05, early '06), I very ignorantly shrugged off death metal as shit and just noise with stupid vocals. I also thought Lamb of God was death metal. As you can tell, I was a moron. As time passed, I started to become more tolerable of screaming vocals (you can thank Slipknot for that, probably), and everything changed for me when I saw a commercial for Cannibal Corpse's then-latest album, KILL, featuring none other than "Make Them Suffer" in it. I remember showing the song to my best friend, who at the time was also getting into teh metalz, and he actually went out and bought the album. I don't remember if I had it on my computer or not, but I do know that while I liked it, I didn't love it back then, as the complexity and chaotic-nature of the music went right over my head at the time. Later that year, I felt that it was about time for me to actually buy one of their damn albums. I saw the video for "Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead" online, so I decided to check out The Bleeding. I remember it clearly; I went to the FYE in the Roosevelt Field Mall in the December of 2006, just a week or two before Christmas, I believe. I had like a 50 dollar gift card or something, so I bought The Bleeding, along with Slayer's South of Heaven and Trivium's The Crusade. The album just blew me away with its heaviness, brutality, and craziness, yet at the same time being memorable and catchy. The Bleeding has to be one of my favorite sounding albums, as it has that raw, old-school feel to it while still having good production values. The guitars are crushing, the bass is prominent, and the vocals aren't buried in the mix. Aside from the quality of the sound, the quality of the songwriting is excellent as well. You have to give Chris Barnes credit for the incredibly catchy and memorable vocal patterns and lyrics on this album (and the best vocal performance of his career, might I add). As I've mentioned before, this album is so great and lasts the test of time because the songs are great and memorable, which isn't something I can say about a whole lot of death metal. Oh, AND THE RIFFS!! Jack Owens' guitar work and Alex Webster's bass work on the early CC albums are just magical in that they capture the feeling of pure insanity, to my ears, at least. And props to Rob Barrett, of course, for being able to actually keep up (sorry, Bob Rusay)! Paul Mazurkiewicz's performance is solid as always. The band would just not be the same without his drumming. I owe my love for death metal to this band and this album, so for that, I say thank you.

tl;dr: Shit's awesome. Listen to it.

Standout Track
Stripped, Raped and Strangled
Old 06-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
Because we all like making pointless lists to show how cool we think our musical tastes and opinions are, I said "Fuck it! Let's do this!"

So as the title informs you, here comes my top 10 favorite albums and why I like 'em. I'm not sure how often I will update this, but I hope some of you guys enjoy it either way.

Well, where do I start? Many thrash fans would agree that Testament are in the top tier of thrash bands in terms of quality, musicianship, and all-around awesomeness. The band, in my eyes, have not released a single bad album and this one takes the cake for me. This album is pure thrash metal greatness from start to finish. From the eerie(pun intended), mysterious intro to "Eerie Inhabitants", to classic tracks like "Trial by Fire" and "Disciples of the Watch," and an excellent cover of Aerosmith's "Nobody's Fault," this album is an absolute must-have for any metal fan. The production, like Testament's other early releases, is not the best, but at the same time it gives it a special feel. Chuck Billy's vocals are absolutely ferocious, Eric Peterson's style of riffing is unique and instantly recognizable, Alex Skolnick's lead work is leaps and bounds above his peers with a style all his own, and bassist Greg Christian and drummer Louie Clemente are a tight rhythm section. What makes Testament so great on this album is that they take plenty of influence from bands that came before them (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, etc.), yet they play in a way that is totally their own and unlike any of their peers.

Standout Track:
The New Order
Definitely in my Top 10 too
Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 AM
N00B

Disciples of the Watch and Into the Pit, two of my favorite thrash songs of all time.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:41 AM
welp

The Blackening. One of the most praised and discussed metal releases of the last decade. Many claim it to be this generation's Master of Puppets while others say it is the most overrated album of this generation. Whichever stand you take, I'd say that it's hard to deny the quality of this release. It's hard to believe that this is the same band that jumped on the Nu Metal bandwagon in the late 90s. The epic arrangements and bone-crushing heaviness of this album does an excellent job of erasing the memories of The Burning Red and Supercharger from our minds (even though I don't really have any about their releases since I was watching Power Rangers and playing my Game Boy when they came out...). It even goes beyond the band's classic debut, Burn My Eyes, their equally solid sophomore effort, The More Things Change, and their critically acclaimed comeback album, Through the Ashes of Empires. The Blackening manages to trump all of these albums, and at the same time reinvent Machine Head's sound for a new generation of metal fans. Many claim MH to be jumping on the thrash bandwagon like they did when Nu Metal was in style, but the sheer excellence of the music makes such a point irrelevant. On The Blackening, the band successfully combines their signature heaviness and grooves with epic arrangements, a great melodic presence (the singing is better than anything Robb Flynn has ever done before), and old-school thrash influences (which isn't surprising, considering both Flynn and lead guitarist Phil Demmel were important members of the classic Bay-Area thrash band, Vio-lence) to create what I am sure is to be a timeless album that will be cherished by metal fans for many years to come.

Standout Track
Clenching the Fists of Dissent
Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 AM
N00B

This is the best "top albums" list I've seen in a while. The Blackening would definitely be in my top 5. Every song is such a great song. The intros on Clenching the Fists and Halo are put together so well and really bring out the heavy chorus riffs. I'm glad they've made 2 solid albums in a row (Through the Ashes of the Empire and The Blackening). The new one should be epic as well based off of the new single Locust which was amazing.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-voltage View Post
This is the best "top albums" list I've seen in a while. The Blackening would definitely be in my top 5. Every song is such a great song. The intros on Clenching the Fists and Halo are put together so well and really bring out the heavy chorus riffs. I'm glad they've made 2 solid albums in a row (Through the Ashes of the Empire and The Blackening). The new one should be epic as well based off of the new single Locust which was amazing.
Well said by both of you. I'll admit if Locust was on The Blackening it would be one of my least favorite songs but maybe it'll grow on me like Wolves did.