Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 06-11-2011, 09:56 AM
N00B

Def Leppard -- San Francisco, CA -- December 14th, 2002

I'm posting this to show that Leppard has mixed up the setlist over the years. This tour was in support of their pop album, X. So in seemingly blatant defiance of that, they open their tour with side 1 of High 'n' Dry. Even on the tour in support of their greatest hits compilation, they were playing Hello America, Rock Brigade, and Mirror Mirror.

This setlist is correct (I have the bootleg).

Intro (Disintegrate)
Let It Go
Another Hit And Run
High 'n' Dry
Bringin' On The Heartbreak
Switch 625
Stagefright
Foolin'
You're So Beautiful
Hysteria
Long Long Way To Go
Four Letter Word
Promises
Now
Women
Rocket
Photograph
Animal
Armageddon It
Pour Some Sugar On Me
Rock Of Ages
Love Bites
Let's Get Rocked
Wasted
Old 06-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars24 View Post
I'm posting this to show that Leppard has mixed up the setlist over the years.
Throughout the 90s they use to play a wider range of songs to. But this set is almost 10 years ago. I see the point you're trying to make but I would've tried to go with something more recent.

Like I said in the other thread, Joe's voice is shot beyond belief now. He can't do most songs like he used to. So they stick with the safe set nowadays so Joe doesn't completely lose his voice. Plus, 15,000 people don't come to their shows to hear deep cuts. They want they hits so that's what they do.

I get the feeling here that some people don't realize that back in the 80s and early 90s Def Leppard and their songs were bigger than Nickleback is today. The songs were/are just too huge to ignore live and i've accepted that and am fine with it.

I also find it kind of strange that you would consider Women a treat since it was a staple for so many years. I've heard that at least 3 of the 5 times i've seen them.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
N00B

9 years ago, or 2 years ago, "it don't matter." They've been a greatest hits band for 20 years. But even when they released a pop album, they mixed it up live. In 2002 they could've played it safe, but didn't. Before the X tour, playing side 1 of High 'n' Dry live was a fantasy.

They were the biggest rock band on the planet in the late '80s. Two albums sealed their setlist fate. When they do these summer tours with even more commercial bands, they are aware the majority of the crowd will only know the hits. But when they do their own tours to support albums, they do mix it up a little more. But you'll always get the obvious dozen or so tunes. Then again, I saw them on the Adrenalize tour and they didn't do Photograph.

Women is my favorite Leppard song, and it's only occassionally added to a tour. Every time it's played, it'll get a from me.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:42 PM
N00B

I would kill to hear Women, High N Dry, Let it Go, or Wasted. Seen Def Lep 3 times, and its almost the same exact setlist everytime. I like Hysteria, but I love High N Dry and Pyro. I would like to just hear Too Late For Love, why they don't play that is beyond me.
Fleetwood Mac
New Found Glory
Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars24 View Post
9 years ago, or 2 years ago, "it don't matter." They've been a greatest hits band for 20 years. But even when they released a pop album, they mixed it up live. In 2002 they could've played it safe, but didn't. Before the X tour, playing side 1 of High 'n' Dry live was a fantasy.
Actually it does matter a little. It' kind of like "what have you done for me lately" thing. The last time I saw them was on this tour and they didn't have any mainstream act opening. I didn't get a set like this at all. It was their greatest hits with like three new ones thrown in. You're right about before that tour playing the first half of HND was a fantasy because they had to wait for the album's 20th anniversary to do it. That's the reason they played it at some shows that tour since it had just turned 20 the year before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickLed19 View Post
I would like to just hear Too Late For Love, why they don't play that is beyond me.
Wow, another regular that you've somehow missed. They rotated that with every other night with Foolin' on their last tour. So to say they don't play it at all isn't true.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:42 PM
N00B

And I know this, I had tix to that tour and they cancelled my date. They rotated it, that means they played it half the time. In my opinion its much better than Foolin. You are bringing up a setlist from 9 years ago. Def Leppard has been playing pretty much the same setlist now for 6 years. They throw in a few different songs from High N Dry sometimes, but come on.

Would it kill them to take Animal or Foolin out of the setlist and they some songs for the real fans? I understand they have to play Sugar, Photograph, etc every night. I just do not think they have to play every single hit every night.
Fleetwood Mac
New Found Glory
Old 06-12-2011, 11:58 AM
things are more than just what you see

isn't this the same argument that is had over most bands that have been around for a long time? People ask if Metallica need to play Nothing else Matters or Sad but true every night as well.

9/21: Uproar Festival
Old 06-12-2011, 01:52 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_jman View Post
isn't this the same argument that is had over most bands that have been around for a long time? People ask if Metallica need to play Nothing else Matters or Sad but true every night as well.
Metallica changes the set every single night, and always plays stuff that die hards wanna hear. I wish every band was like Metallica, play the hits but also switch it up some as well.
Fleetwood Mac
New Found Glory
Old 06-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickLed19 View Post
Metallica changes the set every single night, and always plays stuff that die hards wanna hear. I wish every band was like Metallica, play the hits but also switch it up some as well.
Metallica changes it up every night so it keeps it fresh for the band. Lars even said that's the main reason they decided to do it. Also, with Metallica it's expected that they change the set every night. With Lep it's not. So there's no point in complaining and wanting a band to do something you damn well know they have no chance of doing. It accomplishes nothing.

Both Def Leppard and their fans know that they're a nostalgia act now. I haven't seen them since 2002 but i'm seeing them this summer and do you know why? Nostalgia. They're one of those bands that you don't take too seriously live. You just go to hear the hits, have a good time and that's it.

If you don't like the set then don't go. It's not gonna affect the bands bank account in anyway.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:20 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Metallica changes it up every night so it keeps it fresh for the band. Lars even said that's the main reason they decided to do it. Also, with Metallica it's expected that they change the set every night. With Lep it's not. So there's no point in complaining and wanting a band to do something you damn well know they have no chance of doing. It accomplishes nothing.

Both Def Leppard and their fans know that they're a nostalgia act now. I haven't seen them since 2002 but i'm seeing them this summer and do you know why? Nostalgia. They're one of those bands that you don't take too seriously live. You just go to hear the hits, have a good time and that's it.

If you don't like the set then don't go. It's not gonna affect the bands bank account in anyway.
I can agree with that, but when you are a huge Def Lep fan like myself it kinda sucks to only hear Hysteria shit all the time. Just imagine if one of your fav bands of all time only played the same stuff over and over. I respect bands more if they change it up, and give everyone what they wanna hear.

Def Lep plays a 20 song set, they only really have about 10 songs that they have to play. They could switch it up some. I still love them though, so its all good. We will see what the setlist looks like this week. If they continue to play Wasted and Let it Go, I will be really happy.
Fleetwood Mac
New Found Glory

Tags
def leppard