Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-15-2011, 05:51 PM
One who onions things

Deep Purple -- San Francisco, CA -- August 15th, 2007

This was at the Warfield Theater in SF and was my second concert ever, and at the time, I wasn't even very much of a metalhead. I was still a total classic rock nut, and I was admittedly a pretty terrible Deep Purple fan. I bought Machine Head on iTunes and thought it was a neat album, which was pretty much the extent of my knowledge of their music. Of course four years later, I own way too many of their albums, and they've become one of my all time favorite bands. I truly do not remember much of the opening band, other than they did a pretty lame cover of Machine Gun by Band of Gypsys.

So Deep Purple slayed, and they played all the hits from Machine Head, which pleased me plenty enough. Of course, I found out about so many cool songs thanks to the concert and The Highway Star, a truly comprehensive Deep Purple fansite that I got the setlist from. To this day, the light-work in tandem with the guitar riff chorus during Perfect Strangers still stands as one of my all-time favorite concert moments. Steve Morse was a more than able replacement for Blackmore (though I had no idea who either were at the time) and his guitar solo was neat since it was made up of a couple neat instrumentals and a collage of classic rock riffs that made all the parents go nuts. My dad and I had awesome seats with a perfect view of the stage, and the sound was top-notch as well. I also remember thinking that Ian Gillan sounded like a sea-captain throughout the show, which was a plus to me. The way Ian sung Into the Fire, he made it sound like "Into da fooiiiyaahhh" which was also pretty funny. For Smoke On the Water, the band brought out Jeff Watson from Nightranger to play along, and he and Steve had a cool dueling solos. Also, seeing my dad rocking out during Smoke On the Water was hilariously awesome. I also remember thinking that Speed King was amazingly badass when I heard it. In retrospect, there are still a few songs I would like to see played, but at an hour and 45 minutes, this was a plenty long show. The band is known to switch up the setlists night-to-night, so expect to get something neat on their summer tour. I'd still like to see Fireball (the original non-stop double bass metal song), Black Night, The Battle Rages On, Woman From Tokyo and Hard Lovin' Man, which are all possible given their recent setlists over the last couple of years.

Set-list comes from a member of the Deep Purple fansite, The Highway Star.

1. Pictures of Home
2. Things I Never Said
3. Into The Fire
4. Strange Kind of Woman
5. Rapture Of The Deep
6. Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye
7. Knocking At Your Back Door
8. Lazy
9. Contact Lost/Classic Rock Riffs/Well Dressed Guitar
10. Keyboard Solo
11. Perfect Strangers
12. Space Truckin’
13. Highway Star
14. Smoke On The Water (with Jeff Watson)
ENCORE
15. Speed King (with Bass and Drum solos)
16. Hush
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16

Tags
deep purple