Postcard from 1952
The Birth and Death of the Day
Yasmin the Light
Last Known Surroundings
Your Hand in Mine
Catastrophe and the Cure
Let Me Back In
The Moon is Down

I drove in a little bit late, hoping I'd miss a little bit of the opening act, Papercuts, who weren't my cup of tea. I totally underestimated my ability to find parking, it was shit. I strolled into the Fox Theater right as Paper Cuts were ending, so I went and picked up a shirt and walked onto the floor. It was a short 15 or 20 minute wait until EITS took the stage, but it seemed like it took forever. It was a weird feeling, because I'm only 5'11" but I was easily one of the taller people there, so I felt guilty for standing in front of people so they couldn't see.

They took the stage around 10:20, and I just couldn't contain myself. The room seemed filled with an exciting energy and I wasn't the only one who just buzzed with anticipation. Munaf had a microphone in front of him and said a few words. He seemed really excited to play at the Fox Theater, which is a really impressive venue from the stage to the seats. Their setlist contained pretty much everything I wanted to hear that wasn't named First Breath After Coma. The Only Moment We Were Alone is one of the more soulful parts of Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place and is a great track to open up the show with. There is no song that gets to the core of me more than The Birth and Death of the Day, and I let some serious tears out during that song's final crescendo. I've also always loved Your Hand in Mine as one of their more fun songs, and I left with a new love for Catastrophe and the Cure. Munaf and Co. also have a ton of presence on stage with the cliché post-rock stage moves in tow. I couldn't help but compare this with the Godspeed You! Black Emperor show I saw in February, and I just loved this show so much more. Both bands have an incredible importance to me and seeing them was so much fun, but I just haven't ever been moved so much at a show before. I left elated and I don't think I've ever wanted to watch a band play an encore more.

I got some good video of The Birth and Death of the Day, I'll upload it to Youtube tomorrow.

Last edited by idrinkwine732; 05-03-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:11 PM
We're dying on the inside

Soooooooo jealous. They are one of my last remaining links to my obsessed with post-rock days. Bought the new one today and have a total boner for it.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

I think relative to their studio music, and to what each band does, Explosions is the better band live. The dynamics of their music is just perfect for a live setting.

Nevertheless, I actually enjoyed the GY!BE show more.

That Fox Theater looks killer though, just from the pictures. I'd love to see a show there someday.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
I think relative to their studio music, and to what each band does, Explosions is the better band live. The dynamics of their music is just perfect for a live setting.

Nevertheless, I actually enjoyed the GY!BE show more.

That Fox Theater looks killer though, just from the pictures. I'd love to see a show there someday.
GY!BE gives off, for the lack of a better word, a more epic feel than Explosions in the Sky do. With that said, I still agree that their music is a lot more suited for a live setting. It's energetic, it's light, it's cool.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:43 AM
N00B

Yap they're pretty freaking amazing live
Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Updated with Birth and Death of the Day video.

Tags
explosions in the sky