Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 04-30-2011, 08:20 PM
In Search of Truth

#96:
Pink Cream 69 - Sonic Dynamite
(2000)

I'm sure those who don't have any idea who this band is are currently quite amused at the band name, and as amused about the cover art. It's pretty blatant that this band was formed (and named) back in the late 80's, when a name like this was acceptable (back when glam was in fashion). Their early stuff is pretty much what you'd expect given their name, and in the mid 90's they wandered into some pretty experimental stuff, but by 1998 they had married their roots with a few elements of power metal as well as a few of AOR/Hard Rock. The end result is one quite pleasant to my ears, though this is certainly a band that not everyone is going to "get". Either way, I consider this their best album, and pretty much every track is quality.

Tracklisting:
01 Passage to Hope (1:23)
02 Seas of Madness (5:14)
03 Followed By the Moon (4:37)
04 Sonic Dynamite (3:08)
05 The Spirit (4:38)
06 Speed of Light' (4:43)
07 Waiting For the Dawn (4:45)
08 Let the Thunder Reside (5:06)
09 Lost in Illusions (4:10)
10 Face of an Angel (4:09)
11 Shattered Prophecy (3:48)
12 Spread Your Wings (5:00)

Featured Track:
"The Spirit"
Old 05-01-2011, 01:28 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I tried VERY much to keep this to "One Album Per Band", but in the end I had to make a couple of exceptions. Less than 10 artists scored a second album on the list.
I respect this tidbit because it makes me feel boring. As much as I feel like I have a pretty varied taste in music, I think if I made a top 100 it would have like every Maiden album except for NPFTD and VXI. I like my favorite favorites too much for me to have a list like this be remotely interesting.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:19 PM
In Search of Truth

#95:
BLAZE - The Tenth Dimension
(2002)

When Blaze Bayley was ousted from Iron Maiden to see the return of Bruce Dickinson, I think most metal fans assumed he would record one or two incredible mediocre albums and then fall of the radar forever. The reality was that Blaze would find an absolutely killer band of musicians, hire the amazing production of Andy Sneap, and write some killer songs. His debut CD, "Silicon Messiah" was outstanding, but he pushed the envelope one step further with the sophomore effort - loose concept album, "The Tenth Dimension". The metal rips, the ballads are great, and the whole thing absolutely craps on Blaze's collective work with Iron Maiden. Naysayers NEED to hear this album.

Tracklisting:
01 Forgotten Future (1:02)
02 Kill and Destroy (4:26)
03 End Dream (5:13)
04 The Tenth Dimension (6:17)
05 Nothing Will Stop Me (4:19)
06 Leap of Faith (3:38)
07 The Truth Revealed (1:43)
08 Meant to Be (6:25)
09 Land of the Blind (3:56)
10 Stealing Time (4:35)
11 Speed of Light (4:41)
12 Stranger to the Light (6:33)

Featured Track:
"The Tenth Dimension"
Old 05-01-2011, 09:03 PM
In Search of Truth

I'm starting to get concerned that people have already stopped following this.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

I'm following this! Tonight is gonna be a slow night with Osama dying and all!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

I'll just say I've been reading and keeping up with this and I'll continue to do so.

I'm already getting a vibe of the kind of music you like, and while it probably differs from my tastes a bit, I'll still follow and read what you have to say.

Best of luck maintaining the diligence.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:05 PM
In Search of Truth

#94:
Fifth Angel - Fifth Angel
(1986)

This will be the first of several albums I'll be referring to as one of the "best X albums you've never heard". Fifth Angel released two albums in the mid-to-late 80s and have now been pretty much wiped from the face of metal, sadly. The best way to describe this band is Queensryche a la the EP/The Warning, but with a more moderate-ranged singer and a little more focus on appealing, concise songwriting. If that sounds appetizing to you, I can't recommend this album enough. Every track is a great one - I truly uphold this as one of the finest "old school" metal albums that never gets its deserved respect.

Tracklisting:
01 In the Fallout (3:55)
02 Shout it Out (4:27)
03 Call Out the Warning (3:34)
04 Fifth Angel (4:04)
05 Wings of Destiny (4:39)
06 The Night (4:45)
07 Only the Strong Survive (3:48)
08 Cry Out the Fools (4:23)
09 Fade to Flames (4:04)

Featured Track:
"In the Fallout"
Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I'm starting to get concerned that people have already stopped following this.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

Don't worry we're still here. At least your thread has more views and replies than hellawaits death metal album thread so far. So that's something

I'm gonna have to give Blaze's other stuff a listen after hearing that song. That is a very good tune.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 05-02-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Headbanger

I think it's going to interesting. I had my power metal phase and still think highly of some of those albums even though i rarely listen to them.

That being said a metalhead rating Pyromania over High and Dry (assuming since you said very few doubles) is borderline blasphemous to me. I understand you were probably young and that album was influential or whatever but High and Dry especially the remaster version with Me and My Wine smokes that album on every level. The riffs are beastly and the cheese factor is virtually nil.

The cool thing is when I wiki'd both cd's I found they re-released Pyromania with a LA Forum live show from 83 with Let it Go, Mirror, Mirror, Wasted and basically the best Def Leppard setlist I've ever seen. WIN!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:15 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I think it's going to interesting. I had my power metal phase and still think highly of some of those albums even though i rarely listen to them.

That being said a metalhead rating Pyromania over High and Dry (assuming since you said very few doubles) is borderline blasphemous to me. I understand you were probably young and that album was influential or whatever but High and Dry especially the remaster version with Me and My Wine smokes that album on every level. The riffs are beastly and the cheese factor is virtually nil.

The cool thing is when I wiki'd both cd's I found they re-released Pyromania with a LA Forum live show from 83 with Let it Go, Mirror, Mirror, Wasted and basically the best Def Leppard setlist I've ever seen. WIN!
Fair point, but take into account that Pyromania was ranked #98, 3 albums from being cut off the list - so while in the end I do prefer it to High and Dry by a tad, it's not by MUCH. And yes, being that it was the first rock album I ever bought, it does hold a special place in my heart that probably gave it the advantage in the end.