Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 05-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I am monitoring this thread!

I will also publically berate you if some key albums aren't included
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 05-01-2011, 08:06 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post

Haha, I'm sure there will be an album or 2 missing. I will accept the beration!!

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post

We can gang up on him.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post

The Last Felony
Too Many Humans
Hmmm. I'll be following your list too.

If I don't see some Atheist and Arsis pop up here I'm going to be super pissed.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:14 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:

Neuraxis
Asylon

Figured I'd do one while finishing my last Wild Turkey before I went out. Going to a lot of shows in Montreal, I was always treated to long Neuraxis sets as openers, as they're from the MTL. I never really got into them, but I liked them enough to check out their shit, and I'm especially glad I checked out their newest release. Much of Montreal's death metal falls into that "Northern Hyber-blast" category that Kataklysm falls into. It gets hated on some, but it's different than straight on death metal, which makes it unique IMO.

The first thing I noticed about this album that stuck out to me was it's ability to be technical without having any nerd metal in it. Ugh, I hate nerd metal. I really dig the overall feel of the album, it does a great job of not being repetitive, and there are some strong songs in the middle. I think a lot of death metal albums drag in the middle. The 5th track, 'Sinister' is the standout track to me. Besides a stupid, albeit very short intro, it features some awesome technical riffs over a downtuned, heavy rythym, a combo which sounded great to me. I also like the 2nd track 'Asylum'. A slightly more technical track, which is still brutal. Their vocals are one-dimensional for the most part, but I'm cool with that, cause they're solid and brutal. To top it all off, these guys are a great live band. The last couple tunes drag a bit, or else this album would be even higher. One of Montreal's best extreme bands, without a doubt. They've taken over Kataklysm as my favorite Montreal band.

Standout tracks
Asylum
Sinister
Whoa, really? I mean, I was actually surprised at how much I liked it when I heard it a couple months back, considering I don't even like tech death -- but this in your top 30 death metal albums of all time?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:10 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
For this list, I will be including all subgenres of death metal. Grindcore, tech death, and yes, some deathcore
Oh Manks... you aren't gonna be happy...
Old 05-02-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
Whoa, really? I mean, I was actually surprised at how much I liked it when I heard it a couple months back, considering I don't even like tech death -- but this in your top 30 death metal albums of all time?
Told you there would be some shockers. Also, this isn't my list of "Most Influential Death Metal Albums." Again, the main thing I'm judging these albums on is simply how much I enjoy listening to them.

11/25-Slayer (?)

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 05-02-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:16 PM

# 27

Dying Fetus
War Of Attrition

Ah, the opening 'Homicidal Retribution'. Fuckin great song. I'm a big fan of all of DF's albums. Always brutal, always have great lyrics, and their breakdowns make all these deathcore bands today seem like pussies. I also love the vocal tradeoffs of John Gallagher and Sean Beasley (and Jason in the early days). Neither do anything out of this world spectacular, but the differences play off each other way, and keep things fresh. I know there are several death metal bands who do this, and I think it' a pretty cool thing.

This album is one of my favorites to listen to at the gym. Interesting all the way through, never gets stale, and it always fires me up. I think this album has some of the more catchy rythyms of DF's impressive catalogue. The intro to Homicidal Retribution is a perfect example of this. What makes it stick w/ me so much is it's ability to be groovy, technical, and fast without having any nerd to it. The 3rd track, 'Raping The System' is one of my favorites. A 6+ minute number that begins w/ some awesome double bass and a slowish, groovy guitar rythym. The "slowness" doesn't last long, it get's pretty darn brutal around 45 seconds. Track 5, 'Unadulterated Hatred' is another strong number. I get frusterated when John Gallagher is rarely mentioned among people's favorite death metal vocalists. His gutteral growls are some of my favorite, and he's a hell of a guitar player.

Standout Tracks
Homicidal Retribution
Raping The System

11/25-Slayer (?)

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 05-02-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
# 27

Dying Fetus
War Of Attrition

Ah, the opening 'Homicidal Retribution'. Fuckin great song. I'm a big fan of all of DF's albums. Always brutal, always have great lyrics, and their breakdowns make all these deathcore bands today seem like pussies. I also love the vocal tradeoffs of John Gallagher and Sean Beasley (and Jason in the early days). Neither do anything out of this world spectacular, but the differences play off each other way, and keep things fresh. I know there are several death metal bands who do this, and I think it' a pretty cool thing.

This album is one of my favorites to listen to at the gym. Interesting all the way through, never gets stale, and it always fires me up. I think this album has some of the more catchy rythyms of DF's impressive catalogue. The intro to Homicidal Retribution is a perfect example of this. What makes it stick w/ me so much is it's ability to be groovy, technical, and fast without having any nerd to it. The 3rd track, 'Raping The System' is one of my favorites. A 6+ minute number that begins w/ some awesome double bass and a slowish, groovy guitar rythym. The "slowness" doesn't last long, it get's pretty darn brutal around 45 seconds. Track 5, 'Unadulterated Hatred' is another strong number. I get frusterated when John Gallagher is rarely mentioned among people's favorite death metal vocalists. His gutteral growls are some of my favorite, and he's a hell of a guitar player.

Standout Tracks
Homicidal Retribution
Raping The System
cool write-up. Would be in my Top 15
Old 05-03-2011, 07:52 PM

# 26

Deicide
Legion

The opener, "Satan Spawn, the Caco-Daemon" has such an eerie and evil intro, the first time I listened to this album, I knew I was going to love it. The track went on the become my all-time favorite Deicide track, so I'm obviously partial to this album. Being a more technical album for Deicide, make's it stand out amongst their other releases, but though it's more technical, it doesn't lack brutality in any way. Glen's lyrics are great throughout, especially since they're all natural, not manipulated in the studio, as in their 1st release.

I remember on the way to a concert a few years ago playing this album, and a buddy who had never heard Deicide said "Dude, their drumming is fuckin' heavy." Uh yeah, you could say that. Steve Asheim's drumming on this one is killer. A few nights ago, I listened to the album from start to finish, and my head was dizzy for about an hour after. After the opening 'Spawn', 'Dead But Dreaming' kicks in and it's such a catchy tune to my ears. Definately a reason why this one is the only song from this album to remain in their live set. Though I wish they played much more from this album, 'Dead' is a killer tune. The 4th track 'Trifixion' starts w/ a slow (for Deicide) intro and isn't as brutal as other tracks on the album, but it remains a favorite of mine. It's slower rhthym w/ a nasty double bass behind it rattles the insides. The "in the name of Satan........." spoken part is awesome at the end of that one. The rest of the album, while not being bad, doesn't have a whole lot of highlights, or anything I found spectacular. But the first four songs on this album solidify it as a classic.

Standout Tracks
Satan Spawn, The Caco-Daemon
Trifixion

11/25-Slayer (?)