Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 04-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-voltage View Post
Thanks for respecting my opinion El Gordo, but how can you say that The Blackening is just mediocore?
Yeah when people don't get that album, I don't get them. I know we all have our own tastes and preferences with music but that album is amazing.

Then again I'm a huge Maiden fan and tried to get into The Final Frontier again after listening to Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind this week and that album isn't in the same world as those 2 to me. I don't get that album at all or people's love for it. To each his own I guess...
Old 04-30-2011, 01:29 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Ghost Revieries and Blackwater Park, top 2 but not in any particular order. HANDS. DOWN.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco44 View Post
Burst - Lazarus Bird
Totally fucking correct.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:32 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Thanks for respecting my opinion El Gordo, but how can you say that The Blackening is just mediocore?
Because it's just Machine Head doing what they've always done, but slightly better and with songs that are way too long. It's definitely their best since Burn My Eyes, but that's not saying much.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:27 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Screw popularity. I'm talking in sense of musical terms. Vol. 3 was very popular, don't get me wrong, but it is no where near a classic album as MOP was. The Blackening is brilliant. Every song is perfect. I'm not saying it's as good as MOP, I'm just saying it's as close to a MOP as any other album in the past 11 years. You can't argue that.
As has been pointed out, its just Machine Head doing what they do, just more of it. Its all in their safe zone. MoP was a good deal out of Metallicas safe one when it was released. Its good, and in my top 3 MH albums, but I just don't think its that strong. If I'm honest, I can't usually listen to it all at once, the songs are a tad too long for what I like from Machine Head. I respect people digging that album, but it baffles me that people can compare it to MoP in such a way.

And with regards Vol. 3, well, it blew me away anyway. The song-writing on that album is incredible, and the acoustic songs don't come off as poppy, in fact none of the acoustic songs were sold as singles. It is to me closer to the MoP of this generation, even though in reality, metal has become so diverse, there will probably never be an MoP of this generation.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:55 PM
N00B

Have you listened to all of the Machine Head albums. How can you say The Blackening is just Machine Head staying in their comfort zone? Their middle two albums (Burning Red and Supercharger) are completely different, Nu-Metal sounding even. I think they combined the genius of Burn My Eyes with Through the Ashes of the Empire.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:35 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Have you listened to all of the Machine Head albums. How can you say The Blackening is just Machine Head staying in their comfort zone? Their middle two albums (Burning Red and Supercharger) are completely different, Nu-Metal sounding even. I think they combined the genius of Burn My Eyes with Through the Ashes of the Empire.
Indeed I have, I own all their albums, as I've pointed out, I'm a fan. I will admit it is more on technical side, and some of the riffs rule (Wolves verse riff, holy shit!) but none of it made me go 'holy shit, am I still listening to Machine Head!?'. I'm not saying that its Nu Metal sounding, or that it sounds much like Supercharger or The Burning Red, only that the band stayed within their comfort zone on that album, and wrote a very fucking good album while they were at it. And even you summed it up, it sounds like they got their other two best works, and got all the good parts and put them together.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

in response to whoever said that they don't get people who don't like The Blackening: I don't get people who can't understand the idea that people have different tastes and no one album is ever going to universally loved, much less a Machine Head album.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:24 AM
N00B

The verse riff in Wolves melted my face off when I first heard it, but I think there are at least 20-25 riffs on this album that did that. Example: the first distorted riff in Clenching the Fists of Dissent.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
in response to whoever said that they don't get people who don't like The Blackening: I don't get people who can't understand the idea that people have different tastes and no one album is ever going to universally loved, much less a Machine Head album.
If you read the entire post that's exactly what I said. I used the #1 rated metal setlists album of 2010 as my example. Most people on here loved that album and I can barely listen to it.

Actually I think those 2 albums make an interesting comparison. What makes The Blackening so incredible to me is the riffs. I don't find the songs too long at all when there are interesting time changes and great riff after great riff. Sprinkle in some bad ass solos and interesting, cool lyrics and I'm all about it. Now I Lay Thee Down is one of my favorite songs in the last 10 years and is nothing like the rest of the album. It's probably the only song that reminds me of Burn My Eyes on the entire cd. I remember hearing some of these songs live and being totally blown away. Halo for instance is incredible live.

Nothing makes a song seem too long like a boring 2 minute intro or dumb lyrics. When you add a boring intro to almost every song it becomes tedious and makes you despise certain songs or just FF'd through the beginning of every song. There isn't a FF moment on The Blackening to me...