On A Wicked Night
Rebel Spirits
Thirteen
Bringer of Death
Black Angel/White Angel
Mother
---
Black Mass

So this is my first review, but I've been a lurker on this site for a LONG time, so here it goes.

I've been a pretty big Danzig fan for over ten years, and I was severely torn as to whether I should go to this show. It was $36 after tax, and I had already seen him five other times, and his show usually varies in quality as far as his vocal performance and the setlist. I finally sucked it up just because I thought it'd be pretty sweet to hear some of the new album live.

The House of Blues was pretty packed with the usual Danzig crowd...bald rednecks and chicks dressed in hot goth clothes. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a sell-out crowd, but it was still of a respectable size.

The first band, 2Cents, went over pretty well. Admittedly, they were pretty fun to watch for their stage antics and over-the-top personality. The keyboardist added a nice touch to their otherwise typical sound. The crowd went absolutely NUTS for their cover of Pantera's "The Art of Shredding" at the end of their set.

Devildriver were up next, and they delivered as always. It was a pretty predictable setlist, but it was played so well that I couldn't really complain. This was my fifth time seeing Devildriver, and I must say that I miss the days when they played a lot of material from their Self-Titled. On the upside, Dez looks a lot better these days...almost like he's been working out. Strange.

Danzig came on around 8:50, and it was no surprise that he opened with "Wotan's Procession" and "SkinCarver." He's been doing that since my very first Danzig show (), and I wish he would change it up.

At first, he was back to his old shenanigans of moving the microphone away from his mouth so that you could only catch half of the lyrics, but he stopped doing that pretty early into the set. Overall, he sounded fantastic on the lower notes, and extremely iffy whenever he had to raise his voice to his trademark wail. It was especially painful on "Mother," YOUCH.

The Deth Red Sabaoth songs sounded great though, as did "Thirteen" and "How The Gods Kill." The band sounded excellent as well, making up for Danzig's vocal performance.

The band left the stage after "Mother," and the house lights and music suddenly came up. It was surprising there was going to be no encore! It turns out that Steel Panther was supposed to play two hours following the concert end, and they had to cut it short so they could set up for that. The band emerged from the wings, looking extremely pissed, and went through "Black Mass." It would have been interesting to hear what they would have played had they not been cut off

Overall, it's still a show worth checking out if you're a Danzig fan. In my opinion, he should switch up that setlist a bit more. I'm still waiting to hear "Sistinas" and "Blood and Tears" live.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:37 AM
N00B

Thanks for the review, out of curiosity, what was security like for this show? Security has supposedly been really tough the past few Danzig tours.
9/13 - Samhain
Old 05-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Concert Veteran

That's just about the same set as when I saw him in November. Rebel Spirits and DYWTM weren't played and the encore was She Rides and Long Way Back From Hell. Not sure what's up with playing Black Mass I'm not a big fan of I, Luciferi so I would've been disappointed if I was there. Especially since you would've been expecting something off the first three albums as an encore. WP/SC does make for a good intro and opener but he's been doing that for awhile now. Since this is a tour for DRS I think using Pyre Of Souls: Incanticle as the intro and going directly into Hammer Of The Gods would've been a good way to open the show.

Also, who the fuck is Steel Panther and why was Danzig's set cut short for them? Damn the mighty have really fallen haven't they?

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 05-01-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:02 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Also, who the fuck is Steel Panther and why was Danzig's set cut short for them? Damn the mighty have really fallen haven't they?
I think Steel Panther is a really bad glam rock band from the 80's.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Nice first review BTW, welcome aboard.

As much as I hate 2 Cents I applaud them for picking a lesser known song by Pantera. I give them credit for that atleast. Still don't know how they get on good tours. If you have to close with a cover. Its pretty obvious they have nothing original that's any good. Just like they did on their last tour which escapes me at the moment.

DD set is pretty good. Missing lack of s/t but still not bad.

Its pretty lawl That danzig basically got bumped for Steel Panther. But still a very good set. Still bummed to miss this in a few days.

Last edited by 300%_Density; 05-01-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepstalking View Post
It turns out that Steel Panther was supposed to play two hours following the concert end, and they had to cut it short so they could set up for that.
theres_a_point_where_this_shitty_joke_has_gone_too _far_and_weve_clearly_passed_it.tiff
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 05-01-2011, 04:58 PM
From beyond beyond the thunder dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen View Post
Thanks for the review, out of curiosity, what was security like for this show? Security has supposedly been really tough the past few Danzig tours.
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

I like the Devildriver set, I'm suprised there aren't more songs off the new album though, which isn't a bad thing. I might go to this in Pittsburgh, but I'm guessing it's way too expensive.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
I think Steel Panther is a really bad glam rock band from the 80's.
They're not actually from the 80's. Their gimmick is that they're a hair metal parody band that pretends to be from the 80's.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
I like the Devildriver set, I'm suprised there aren't more songs off the new album though, which isn't a bad thing. I might go to this in Pittsburgh, but I'm guessing it's way too expensive.
This. Did they really only play 1 song off Beast? I pretty much would have bet the house they would play Bring the Fight to the Floor.

I like 2cents. They're a cool opener/fun band and are cool to party with. I respect bands who open then go hang in the crowd and jam out with people. These guys are cool.

Also Steel Panther rule. I saw them in San Diego as Metal Skool and didn't really get it back then even though some of the hottest women on the planet were there. Their cd is funny and catchy and their live show is better than 99% of the comedy shows you'll go to. If anyone needs to go to a Steel Panther show it's Glenn Danzig. He takes himself way too seriously and after being knocked the fuck out cold for all the world to see you would think he would get it. Instead he bans cameras from his shows. I still like his music but what a DoucheTool...
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther

Tags
danzig, devildriver