Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 04-30-2011, 03:03 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Hellawaits77's Top 30 Death Metal Albums

General Grading Scale

- How much I enjoy the album!!!! That's it, other than more respect to the more popular bands.

For this list, I will be including all subgenres of death metal. Grindcore, tech death, and yes, some deathcore. There will be some bands with more than one album, but I purposely checked out some material I had never listened to by bands I was familiar with, in order to include a broader, more diverse list. I'll admit, there aren't any truly underground bands here, but there may be a few you haven't checked out, so maybe I can convert a fan or 2. I'm sure I'll get some hate for a few picks, and there are some shockers, especially towards the top. So here goes!!

12/07: Slipknot/Korn (?)
12/13: Despised Icon (?)
Old 04-30-2011, 03:16 AM

Aborted
Slaughter and Apparatus : A Methodical Overture

While Aborted is not one of my favorite bands, I enjoy most of their work, especially their lyrics . What stuck out to me on this album is how I was actually able to decifer most of the songs on the first listen. Much of their work kinda blends together and can get boring. Sven's vocal style is a big plus in my book, too. He uses a unique combo of extremely low gutteral growls, medium growls, and a sort of "hardcore" shout. Usually that type of hardcore shout in grindcore would irk me, but I like it.

The album opens w/ The Chondrin Enigma, which includes a sorta boring intro, but cuts into some nasty brutal grindcore rather quickly (aka puts a smile on my face). Probably the best song on the album. I really dig the solo in the 7th track, 'Archetype: Malice & Scorn'. Many people praise their newest album, 'Strychnine.213' for being the most diverse, but this album has more diversity in it's songs, which puts it as my favorite Aborted album. As I said before, I'm not an expert on all things Aborted, so if there are some things here that you don't agree with, I'm sorry.

Favorite Tracks
The Chondrin Enigma
And Carnage Basked In Its Ebullience

Old 04-30-2011, 06:52 AM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

that band is not for me hahaha, definitely not my cup of tea but keep up the list

and I think that Amon Amarth is considered death metal right ? so I'll be waiting for them !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Fragments of a sunbeam glaring on a kitchen knife

I really like that album cover, tracks were better than I thought theyd be
Old 04-30-2011, 03:56 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
and I think that Amon Amarth is considered death metal right ? so I'll be waiting for them !
Yep! Melodic death metal. Definitely should make this list.

Can't wait to see the rest! I respect your opinions on metal, so this should be interesting.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

I've never really listened to Aborted much at all, maybe a couple of songs. I'll have to check them out sometime.

I look forward to the rest of this thread.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:04 PM

Neuraxis
Asylon

Figured I'd do one while finishing my last Wild Turkey before I went out. Going to a lot of shows in Montreal, I was always treated to long Neuraxis sets as openers, as they're from the MTL. I never really got into them, but I liked them enough to check out their shit, and I'm especially glad I checked out their newest release. Much of Montreal's death metal falls into that "Northern Hyber-blast" category that Kataklysm falls into. It gets hated on some, but it's different than straight on death metal, which makes it unique IMO.

The first thing I noticed about this album that stuck out to me was it's ability to be technical without having any nerd metal in it. Ugh, I hate nerd metal. I really dig the overall feel of the album, it does a great job of not being repetitive, and there are some strong songs in the middle. I think a lot of death metal albums drag in the middle. The 5th track, 'Sinister' is the standout track to me. Besides a stupid, albeit very short intro, it features some awesome technical riffs over a downtuned, heavy rythym, a combo which sounded great to me. I also like the 2nd track 'Asylum'. A slightly more technical track, which is still brutal. Their vocals are one-dimensional for the most part, but I'm cool with that, cause they're solid and brutal. To top it all off, these guys are a great live band. The last couple tunes drag a bit, or else this album would be even higher. One of Montreal's best extreme bands, without a doubt. They've taken over Kataklysm as my favorite Montreal band.

Standout tracks
Asylum
Sinister

Old 04-30-2011, 08:22 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Does this mean... no Kataklysm?!
Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Does this mean... no Kataklysm?!
Maybe, maybe not

Old 05-01-2011, 08:33 PM

The Last Felony
Too Many Humans

Another band out of Montreal, I found out about these guys by way of some luck. Mayhem was playing Montreal in '09, and the rest of the bands dropped off the tour, so the venue replaced them w/ some local acts. I checked these guys out, and dug them. They put on a good live show too. Their first album was solid brutal death, with some aspects of deathcore to it. W/ this release, they completely do away w/ all the deathcore undertones, and produced some awesome brutal death, w/ a little tech and grind involved.

I instantly fell in love with this album. I almost couldn't believe how much I liked it. The first tune 'We Are Future Housing Developments of Maggots' punched me in the mouth w/ quality double bass blasting w/ a fast, technical rythym. The vocalist belts out quality gutteral grows without a lot of variety, but he's pretty good. He will use some typical shrieky vocals too, which are ok, but I prefer the growls. The other standout tracks are at the 3 + 7 spots, so it keeps the listen interesting and fresh. And for a being an underground, fairly young band, I'm also very impressed by the production. Very clear sound, not much of the muddiness you encounter in many death metal items. The drums are a little low in the mix, but the guitars are extremely clear. I almost compare them to a faster, less technical Dying Fetus. I hope these guys actually tour soon, it seems like they only do 1 a year.

Standout tracks
We Are Future Housing Developments for Maggots

Promoting my own video - a tune from their first album : Starving Your Apathy