Dillinger Escape Plan -- Brooklyn, NY -- July 31st, 2014
Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991

Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
It's totally fine if you like those bands more than 'Deth and Slayer, but don't be a dick about it state it like it's a fact.
Yeah, because clearly no one ever ever states their opinions as if they're fact, especially on this forum and in this thread.

Everyone holds and states an opinion on a topic as if they believe it to be true. That's the purpose that opinions serve. If you don't agree with me, then hey, that's fine. But my post was not only stating my opinion about the bands in question, but also a response to the guy who said "don't compare Gojira and LoG to the big 4", or something. As if being around longer and having that status of being legendary automatically makes them immune to comparison to newer bands without such a reputation. It's funny, because i'm sure if I said the opposite of the matter (Megadeth and Slayer are better than Lamb of God and Gojira), then no one would be chiming in and saying anything about that. But because some of the big 4 were compared unfavourably to other bands, oh noes! Blasphemy!11!!11!

Seriously, if you disagree with me, that's fine. And if you want to rebuttle and basically just state that opinion as if it's a fact, that's also fine. I just hate when people get so upset when their favourite bands are talked about negatively and people have to be all "Ohh, well that's only your opinion bro..." Because one thing that's 10x more annoying than people who are dicks about their opinions are the people who have to chime in and say how it's only their opinions and that you can't say something is better than the other without stating "I think" or "in my opinion" at the beginning of it.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
Seriously, if you disagree with me, that's fine. And if you want to rebuttle and basically just state that opinion as if it's a fact, that's also fine. I just hate when people get so upset when their favourite bands are talked about negatively and people have to be all "Ohh, well that's only your opinion bro..." Because one thing that's 10x more annoying than people who are dicks about their opinions are the people who have to chime in and say how it's only their opinions and that you can't say something is better than the other without stating "I think" or "in my opinion" at the beginning of it.
THIS x 1000
Old 04-24-2011, 09:16 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

I feel bad for accidentally bringing Lamb of God and Gojira into this. It was intended as a joke, and never to compare anything. I mean, how can you compare them? Totally different styles of metal from different time periods. Is Opeth better than Slayer or Megadeth? How about Amon Amarth? What of Emperor, or Immortal? Hell, even Black Sabbath? You can't compare. It comes down to opinion, and well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Anyway, back to the big 4:

SLAYER NEEDS MORE HELL AWAITS IN THIS SET, and TO WORLD PAINTED BLOOD OPENING EVERY GODDAMN SHOW IN THE LAST 2 YEARS. /rant
Old 04-24-2011, 09:34 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post

SLAYER NEEDS MORE HELL AWAITS IN THIS SET, and TO WORLD PAINTED BLOOD OPENING EVERY GODDAMN SHOW IN THE LAST 2 YEARS. /rant
Part A : Yes

Part B : No. Gotta promote your newest album, right?

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

I wasn't comparing the quality of the bands music, I was comparing their historical significance. Is Witchfinder General better than Black Sabbath? Yes (shut up.) Am I going to say seeing them like was a bigger deal than Sabbath in their heyday? No. Lamb of God and Gojira do nothing for my personal music tastes (and their fans fucking suck) but my problem was that you can't interject any band you like and claim its as important of an event as the Big 4. I don't even really like the Big 4, certainly don't worship their music. But it is a big deal, whereas LoG is just another new band. As big as Anthrax back in the day? Maybe. But there wasn't more extreme metal (not a que for Exodus or whoever the fuck else came first corrections) prior to the existence of the four bands playing at this show, and like it or not they defined what the genre of thrash metal is to this day. Metal was going strong for 20 years before Lamb of God even existed, so even if they have influenced modern bands you can't compare the magnitude of their influence. At all.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Is Witchfinder General better than Black Sabbath? Yes (shut up.)
lol

I do enjoy the Death Penalty album though. Haven't heard the other one.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
lol

I do enjoy the Death Penalty album though. Haven't heard the other one.
I prefer the songs on Death Penalty but the vocal performance on Friends of Hell is superior. My favorite release is the Live '83 album, mainly because it's got the best songs performed with better vocals. Make sure you buy the record or download a vinyl rip though, the CD was pressed at a weird slowed down speed so the pitch and tempo of everything are thrown off and stupid.

EDIT: Just listen to this! It soo great.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Good points! Playing the devil's advocate a bit here, but I can't necessarily agree with your statement that Lamb of God is "maybe" as "big" as Anthrax back in the day. When you say "big", and not "better", I think of album sales and popularity, to which LoG has a ton of right now. "Wrath" was a so-so album, and debuted at #2, which is incredible in today's music scene. True, they're not selling out stadiums or anything, but give them 20 years and I bet they will.

As influential as Slayer? Hell no. Still incredibly important and influential to metal? You betcha. I've always viewed them as the re-incarnation of Pantera, brining back some southern swag and popularity to metal when it died out in the late 90's. They pretty much revitalized american metal, and directly influenced tons of modern "metal" bands, especially in america, in many genres.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
As influential as Slayer? Hell no. Still incredibly important and influential to metal? You betcha. I've always viewed them as the re-incarnation of Pantera, brining back some southern swag and popularity to metal when it died out in the late 90's. They pretty much revitalized american metal, and directly influenced tons of modern "metal" bands, especially in america, in many genres.
I agree. Who do you think was one of the catalysts of the uprise in the New Wave of American Metal in the late 90's early 2000's?

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 04-25-2011, 06:28 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
Who do you think was one of the catalysts of the uprise in the New Wave of American Metal in the late 90's early 2000's?
BrokeNCYDE
10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer

Tags
anthrax, megadeth, metallica, slayer