Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014
King Diamond -- Stockholm, Sweden -- July 25th, 2014
Municipal Waste -- Echo Park, CA -- July 25th, 2014

Old 04-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Headbanger

Yeah this blows goats. I was thinking I could finally hear Island of Domination live then this? Hopefully he was just being a cry tit about something and gets over it. This makes no sense...
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 AM
Beware; I am a threadkiller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinfulsot
and the link worked for me...

Look at the time of your post and the time of mine.
Yes. i still surprise myself when i fail to pay attention to appropriate details.

KK's retirement aside, i don't get that this farewell to Priest tour will be including a new album as well.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Custom User Title

This is the last Priest world tour, but the band will continue on recording and playing occasional shows.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Statement from KK:

"Dear friends,

It is with much regret that I will not be with you this summer. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your concerns about my health. Please rest assured that I am O.K.

There has been an ongoing breakdown in working relationship between myself, elements of the band, and the band's management for some time.

Therefore I have decided to step down rather than to tour with negative sentiments as I feel that this would be a deception to you, our cherished fans.

However I would urge you to please support the Priest as I have no doubt that it will be a show not to be missed.

All my love and respect."

30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen
Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
Why is it dumb to say I wonder? What if Ian Hill leaves too? At what point does it become a cover act? In fact, Ian Hill is the only founding member left if my memory recalls right.

The British Steel tribute act around here can play the same stuff. I have no personal animus toward this new guitar player, I'm sure he's capable to do whatever is asked of him, but capable isn't what people are going to ask for, especially and precisely because it is the farewell tour.

That's why I won't pay more than $20 for it.

OR

Is this "farewell tour" a marketing ploy to draw more people to the shows? There is a new album coming out, maybe they will have a "change of heart" and continue on. Ozzy has been on a farewell tour since No More Tears.
At what point does any band become a "cover act"? I don't understand why some band line-up changes are OK and other aren't. Some bands change personnel all the time and no one minds, certain other bands do it and everyone cries "tribute act". One rule for one, another for everyone else. It's never made sense.

And why should the others stop? Cancel all their tour plans and not do what they want to do just because one guy doesn't feel like taking part? Bullshit.

KK really doesn't add much anyway. I won't miss him when I see them at least twice on this tour. It's still Priest, and their set will still be worth seeing.

If KK were there you'd pay the full $40 or whatever? You were really going to pay $20 to see a Judas Priest show and $20 to see KK Downing specifically? I don't think so.

30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen

Last edited by ravenheart; 04-21-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
At what point does any band become a "cover act"? I don't understand why some band line-up changes are OK and other aren't. Some bands change personnel all the time and no one minds, certain other bands do it and everyone cries "tribute act". One rule for one, another for everyone else. It's never made sense.

And why should the others stop? Cancel all their tour plans and not do what they want to do just because one guy doesn't feel like taking part? Bullshit.

KK really doesn't add much anyway. I won't miss him when I see them at least twice on this tour. It's still Priest, and their set will still be worth seeing.

If KK were there you'd pay the full $40 or whatever? You were really going to pay $20 to see a Judas Priest show and $20 to see KK Downing specifically? I don't think so.
This.

I honestly think he's the MOST expendable member of the five, as good as he is.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
This.

Precisely why it took them all of 30 seconds to find a replacement.

30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen
Old 04-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
This.

Really? He's the most expendable after hard rock's most one-note bass player next to Cliff Williams?
Old 04-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Really? He's the most expendable after hard rock's most one-note bass player next to Cliff Williams?
I don't know about Cliff Williams, but Ian Hill has the capacity to play the bass really well, he just recognizes that the music he plays needs a solid bassist, not somebody flashy, and sticks with that roll. Regardless, I would say that KK is more important to the band. I'm sad that he's gone, but this is it for Priest really. After this they'll be doing studio work and only sporadic live shows, and with half of their songwriting core gone and their frontman having a perfectly successful live band he seems to enjoy touring with, I'm not optimistic that they'll be around at all for too much longer.

I wish that KK was on the album, but it was probably written, if not recorded already, with his input, and I also wish that I could see them with him live, but I'm sure the show will be amazing anyways and I'm sure they picked a good replacement. I also have a lot of respect for KK for making his departure painless and acting gentlemanly towards the band.

One thing I wonder though is if the band's retirement from active touring was caused by KK's problems, compounded by Halford's solo work being successful enough that he had an alternative route. With KK gone and Halford having more freedom in Priest to write Priest might reverse their decision to end it, but that's just random, wishful speculation.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

Quote:

Gee, he's only a founding member, I'd say that qualifies as a big departure, no?

As to your last paragraph, if I go and pay to see a movie, I wanna see the movie, not the deleted scenes featurette. If I go to Yankee Stadium, I wanna watch the Major League club, not the AA farm team. Paying full price for something also carries the promise of seeing the full package as advertised, that's why I feel bad for European fans who bought their stubs already...they got the shaft.

No one cares when Fred Durst Johnny Fill In The Blank leaves group XXXXX because they aren't unique or special, that's why it's different in this case.

a) Billy Gibbons leaves ZZ Top, is it still ZZ Top?
b) Dennis Stratton leaves Iron Maiden, is it still Iron Maiden?

You're telling me you can't see the difference in this? Das not compute on this one?