Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-13-2011, 02:11 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Seems we basically got the same set they've played everywhere on this tour except 'The Train'. Other nights they've played 'Mississippi Moon', and sometimes they drop 'Complain'. It's not actually a markedly different set to the one they did on their US dates last year.

Personally, could have done without 'Alright', but otherwise yeah, solid set.

Someone remind me in about 9 hours time to dig out the interview I did with Dug just after Ogre Tones came out. Seems like there're enough KX fans here to give a shit.

This was my first time seeing KX, and I think maybe I was expecting more from them, but still good.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary

Last edited by ravenheart; 04-13-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:12 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I actually have the whole speech written down on my Facebook. Long story short it's about making the best out of life, no matter what you do. As much of a pussy it makes me sound, I almost had tears in my eyes. I got them to sign my copy of the Ogre Tones' booklet and got dug to sign the bass pick he handed to me at the end of the set.

Can you please post that speech or link me to it? i'd love to read it
Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
They are easily they 3 coolest dudes as a band that I've ever met.

After every show, they go back to the merch tables for a meet and greet for EVERYONE, no VIP tickets. They will sign anything, take any picture and answer any questions.

Hearing Dug's speech during Over My Head back in 2009 changed my life forever.
What's your Fb addy? I'd like to read the actual quote

12/07: Slipknot/Korn (?)
12/13: Despised Icon (?)
Old 04-13-2011, 01:22 PM
That Guy

No Problem guys:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=346554550200
Quote:
For me, personally, today, has been a rough day and I really needed to be inspired by something to help me through the day, especially today. So because I don't have anything going on tonight, I wanted to write this Sermon from King X's show in Milwaukee, Wisconsin earlier this year in June 26th, 2009. I'm writing this out completely from the legal bootleg I have from the show. I hope everyone out there reads this and feels inspired. It's a long read but well worth it:

Doug's Sermon during Over My Head, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 6-26-2009:

Welcome to The First Church of Rock And Roll. Here are your pastors, Ty Tabor (Guitar, Vocals), Jerry Gaskill (Drums, Vocals). You can just call me Reverend Dug (Doug Pinnick, Bassist, Vocals).

Yeah it's The First Church of Rock And Roll. Now we don't subscribe to any religion. We have no doctrine. We have no rules or regulations. We have no Heaven or Hell. We have no forgiveness for sins. We leave that up to the religious people. This is just Rock And Roll.

Freedom! Free Your Mind! Let Yourself Go! Have A Good Time! Express Yourself! And Love One Another! I call that Rock and Roll.

Can I get a witness? Y'all know what I'm talking about. I have a story to tell you.

When I was a young boy, I was about 16 years old. it was a long time ago. My cousin she said to me, "Doug, it's a terrible thing to do the thing you don't wanna do for the rest of your life." I thought about that for a second. "To do the thing I don't wanna do for the rest of my life." I saw all my relatives going to a job that they didn't want to do. They were miserable, they were not happy. I wonder about that You know, like, a lot of people beat their wives. They're bad to their children. They live miserable lives. They're Manic Depressives, they're unhappy, it's because they are doing the thing they don't want to do for the rest of their lives. You know what I'm saying?

Some of you are musicians and artists. You're Guitar players, Bass Players, Drummers, Singers...Let me hear you! (Crowd Cheers Loudly) Now listen! I was 38 years old before King's X got a record deal. Everyone said "It's Over" "Give Up" "Get A Real Job" "Give Up This Bullshit!" But I stuck it out. I was 38 years old.

I was 23 years old when I started playing bass. That's old for some people. I want to tell you people. If it's in your heart, if it's in your soul, if you feel it's what your suppose to do, THEN DO IT! Don't let anyone stop you. Do you hear what I'm saying? It's a terrible thing for a man to do the thing he don't wanna do for the rest of his life. Do you hear what I'm saying?

Now you may not get rich. You may not get famous. You might not get to be on MTV. You may not get to play in front of anybody except a handful of people, maybe your family. But it doesn't matter. Cause you gotta do what you are meant to do. You got to do what's inside of you. You know what I'm saying? DO IT!

It's a terrible thing to do the thing you don't wanna do for the rest of your life.

Life is too short to love someone who doesn't love you. Life is too short to do the thing you don't wanna do. Life is too short to live with someone who you know you don't need to be living with. Life is too short to put up with PEOPLE'S BULLSHIT! Life is too short. You get what I'm saying?

Can I get a witness?

It's Alright? (Crowd: Alright!) It's Alright? (Crowd: Alright!) It's Alright? (Crowd: Alright!) It's Alright! (Crowd: ALRIGHT!!!) It's Alright! (Crowd: ALRIGHT!!!) It's Alright! (Crowd: ALRIGHT!!!) It's Alright (Crowd: ALRIGHT!!!)

You are the King's X Choir. Ha Ha. And I've been listening to you sing all night long. And you sound good. You sound good. Yeah. Good Going People!

"Music Music. I Hear Music. Music I Hear Music Music Music. Oh Oh Oh Lord. Music Over My Head!!!" (repeated 4 times, Crowd Joins In)

*Song Finishes*
Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 PM

Glad he didn't do that at my show...

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Glad he didn't do that at my show...
In case I made it sound that way. The music didn't stop while he was giving his speech/sermon/whatever you want to call it. All three still played. I think that's what added to the power of it.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:58 PM

I dunno man, that cliched "be want you want to be and don't let anyone tell you otherwise" stuff comes from every damn band on the planet at some point. Dug is certainly able to say things with a lot more soul than most, but it's still the same "fuck the doubters" shit teenagers go nuts over.

It's what makes emo bands emo

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 PM
That Guy

Quote:
I dunno man, that cliched "be want you want to be and don't let anyone tell you otherwise" stuff comes from every damn band on the planet at some point. Dug is certainly able to say things with a lot more soul than most, but it's still the same "fuck the doubters" shit teenagers go nuts over.

It's what makes emo bands emo
But isn't Emo's message saying "My dad hates me because he won't buy me a convertible I asked for in Black, and my girlfriend won't let me fuck her best friend so I had to dump her. so now I'm I'm crying on the computer trying to get cyber sex with a 40 year old man so the mascara will stop running down my face?"
Old 04-13-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
But isn't Emo's message saying "My dad hates me because he won't buy me a convertible I asked for in Black, and my girlfriend won't let me fuck her best friend so I had to dump her. so now I'm I'm crying on the computer trying to get cyber sex with a 40 year old man so the mascara will stop running down my face?"
No, that's gay

Emos, goths, even the teens who went nuts over Nirvana at the time, they're all fundamentally the same. "No one understands me, I'm oppressed because I want to be different, people tell me I can't be who I want to be" bla bla bla.

Then all their favourite bands get on stage and say "don't let anyone tell you you can't be who you are" and they love it and feel like someone understands them, or some shit. Eventually they grow up and realise they weren't different in the first place, but it's all incredibly tired and shallow nonetheless.

Not words to describe Doug, and as I say he can certainly make just about anything sound far more important than any of these other dipshits, but he's basically saying the exact same thing I heard the singer of Black Veil Brides say in February, right before Wednesday 13 came on said the same thing all over again with Murderdolls.

But it's cool that at the time it resonated with you

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 04-13-2011, 05:09 PM
That Guy

Quote:
No, that's gay

Emos, goths, even the teens who went nuts over Nirvana at the time, they're all fundamentally the same. "No one understands me, I'm oppressed because I want to be different, people tell me I can't be who I want to be" bla bla bla.

Then all their favourite bands get on stage and say "don't let anyone tell you you can't be who you are" and they love it and feel like someone understands them, or some shit. Eventually they grow up and realise they weren't different in the first place, but it's all incredibly tired and shallow nonetheless.

Not words to describe Doug, and as I say he can certainly make just about anything sound far more important than any of these other dipshits, but he's basically saying the exact same thing I heard the singer of Black Veil Brides say in February, right before Wednesday 13 came on said the same thing all over again with Murderdolls.

But it's cool that at the time it resonated with you
You.....saw....Black Veil Brides.....?

But regardless, It did stick out with me because King's X is one of if not the most underrated band that's still going. They should be one of the biggest bands int he world right now, but alas they are not. They are playing venues, that I'm currently playing, and that does make me feel pretty sad. But through all of that they are still touring playing and making a career out of it, and this was at the point in my life I joined my band Shattered, and was about to get kicked out of my cover band for having another band. So Dug's message was exactly what I needed.

Maybe all of those bands say the same thing, but it's pointless when those bands, but I'll never see them live unless I have to open for them, or they are opening for a band I would actually care about. So it means more coming from Dug, then those guys.

Tags
king's x, klone