Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Explosions in the Sky -- Charlotte, NC -- April 3rd, 2011

The third post-rock show of the year for me. And it didn't disappoint. Amos' Southend was packed. There were as many people there as there were at the Avenged Sevenfold and Black Tide show I went to back in '07, which I didn't expect considering the region's weak post-rock scene. There are tons of kiddies in the Charlotte area, and neighboring areas, that love that A7X/Carolina Rebellion-type of music (you know tickets for Carolina Rebellion are going for $200-$300 now??), but there aren't a ton of kids that like post-rock. The crowd really was surprising. I got the vibe there were a lot of concert virgins there though. I stood on the balcony to the left of the stage (from the audience's POV), with a bunch of kids who I think were part of a youth group. There must've been twenty or more of them. When the opening band, The Octopus Project, said "fuck" on stage, they all looked at each other in puzzlement. Needless to say, regardless of the venue being packed, it wasn't the most vivacious audience I've ever been apart of.

The Octopus Project was a funky type of post-rock/electronic band. They weren't mind-numbingly good by any means, but they were entertaining and fun to listen to. I can see why EITS would choose them as an opener. The chick in the band played one really weird electronic instrument that made noises according to the frequency she neared and distanced her hands from its motion sensor. It made a high-pitched whirring noise. I think the crowd really dug them. They got about as much applause as Explosions in the Sky did.

Explosions in the Sky Setlist:

1. Postcard From 1952
2. The Birth and Death of the Day
3. Your Hand in Mine
4. Last Known Surroundings
5. The Only Moment We Were Alone
6. Catastrophe and the Curve
7. Let Me Back In
8. Greet Death
9. Trembling Hands

They played a lot of their new material, which isn't as good as some of their older stuff. "Postcard From 1952," "Last Known Surroundings," "Let Me Back In," and "Trembling Hands" are all from their 2011 release Take Care, Take Care, Take Care. I think it's a pretty solid album - not the best I've heard this year - but solid. Explosions in the Sky isn't going to write a 'bad' album. But it's pale in comparison to The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place, How Strange, Innocence, All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, etc… They did play two songs from The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place, which was nice. I really really really wanted to hear "First Breath After Coma," but I don't think it'll be on a setlist for this tour.

Their sound was ace live. I think the dynamics of what this band does come across beautifully in a dark venue. They're one of those few bands that I'd actually say sound as good, if not better, live than on a disc. The guitar tone is crystal clear. The drumming is very martial in tone. That is, instead of playing a 4/4 kick heavy drumming style, Hrasky plays more tom and snare - the type of drumming similar to what you'd hear in a marching band. It helps to push the music during a slower, arpeggio paced song. When the drum beat speeds up, it's usually when the guitars are going hard and heavy. This band is centered around their beautiful guitar work though. Three guitar players, at times, and one bass, interlocking melodies. They can go loud and aggressive and they can be soft and sensitive. Like a lot of post-rock bands, many of their songs are crescendo driven. They build up slowly before reaching a climax. They are very technically proficient. They excel in playing and feeding off each other. Their style makes for a magnificent live performance.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
The chick in the band played one really weird electronic instrument that made noises according to the frequency she neared and distanced her hands from its motion sensor. It made a high-pitched whirring noise.
That would be a theremin:

^ Click me to read the Wikipedia article about this device!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
N00B

I am SO DOWN with this setlist. I saw Explosions In The Sky with Eluvium opening bacck in like 2007 when "all of a sudden, I miss everyone" came out.

They opened with First Breath After Coma and just went on from there, quite an amazing show. Sigur Ros is still the best 'post-rock' band ive seen live.. even beating out the recent Godspeed reunion show.

Id really like to see Explosions play stuff from the new album, its quite fantastic actually and might be on par with 'the earth is not a cold dead place' will have to give it a few more listens to decide.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

^ Click me to read the Wikipedia article about this device!
I was just about to do this!

09/07 - Coheed and Cambria
10/30 - King Diamond
12/08 - Opeth / In Flames / Red Fang
Old 04-04-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
They played a lot of their new material, which isn't as good as some of their older stuff.
Quote:
But it's pale in comparison to The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place, How Strange, Innocence, All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, etc…
People keep saying that. I don't see it (or hear it, to be exact). I think the new album is just as awesome as anything they've ever done - certainly not better, but definitely not "pales in comparison" territory, either. ("Last Known Surroundings" is especially fucking awesome... )

Quote:
I really really really wanted to hear "First Breath After Coma," but I don't think it'll be on a setlist for this tour.
me wuv dat song 2

Glad to hear you had an awesome time. This gives me a major sad, because I won't get to see them this time around by the looks of things. They're playing Pittsburgh on Friday and COlumbus on Saturday, and I have to watch my kids both nights.

Pissed Natty is fuckin' damn well pissed.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 04-04-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:38 PM
We're dying on the inside

I'd like to see them do First Breath After Coma, but The Birth and Death of the Day is one of the two or three greatest post-rock songs ever recorded and a big reason for my plunge into the genre, so that would be more than worth the ticket cost for me.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I'd like to see them do First Breath After Coma, but The Birth and Death of the Day is one of the two or three greatest post-rock songs ever recorded and a big reason for my plunge into the genre, so that would be more than worth the ticket cost for me.
Yeah, that rolling snare part damn near brings me to tears every fucking time I hear it. What a fucking amazing song.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Ah, thanks. I honestly hadn't a clue what it was. It seemed like some peculiar alien instrument to me. Now I feel like a noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguytoo9 View Post
Sigur Ros is still the best 'post-rock' band ive seen live.. even beating out the recent Godspeed reunion show.
I have no doubt of that. Sigur Rós is right up there with Agalloch and Alcest on my list of bands to see live. I would actually expect it to be better than a GY!BE show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguytoo9 View Post
its quite fantastic actually and might be on par with 'the earth is not a cold dead place' will have to give it a few more listens to decide.
Quote:
People keep saying that. I don't see it (or hear it, to be exact). I think the new album is just as awesome as anything they've ever done - certainly not better, but definitely not "pales in comparison" territory, either.
I just don't agree. Maybe I'm not getting it, but I think Cold Dead Place is waaaaaaay better. It's probably my favorite album of theirs. To me there's just not a song on Take Care, Take Care, Take Care that measures up to "First Breath After Coma," "The Only Moment We Were Alone," or "Your Hand in Mine." Maybe it just needs some time to sink in. EITS isn't really the type of music though that I'd expect to 'take time to sink in,' so...
Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
there's just not a song on Take Care, Take Care, Take Care that measures up to "First Breath After Coma,"
Can't disagree with this part, at least.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

I like this set quite a bit. I'd be fine with it in a few weeks.

Tags
explosions in the sky