Lethargica
Perpetual Black
Second Sane
Straws Pulled at Random
Future Breed Machine

Encore:
Soul Burn

FUCKING AWESOME SHOW!
The crowd was fucking wild! The pit was so intense that I think it beat Slayer in terms of insanity!

The singer's stage prescence was really fucking powerful, as was the bassist's, but unfortunately the guitarists and drummer (obviously, he's at the back) weren't getting much attention from the audience

Singer told audience countless times that this crowd specifically was the best, or at least one of the best he'd ever played for, and that if he could, he'd take them all along for the remaining dates of the tour.

Also - one final thing. Has anybody noticed that the Z in obZen is just like the Z in Zildjian?
3/15 Gogol Bordello

Last edited by brutal_descent; 02-14-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Very bad ass set. I know those songs are long but it looks like a short set. How long did they actually play? Still jealous as fuck you got to see them headline. If only they would bring back Sickening or Gods Of Rapture. Cadaverous Mastication might be a pipe dream but I'm allowed to dream.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Very bad ass set. I know those songs are long but it looks like a short set. How long did they actually play? Still jealous as fuck you got to see them headline. If only they would bring back Sickening or Gods Of Rapture. Cadaverous Mastication might be a pipe dream but I'm allowed to dream.
8:15 - 8:45 BLEED
9:25 - 10:45 MESHUGGAH
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 04-03-2011, 02:04 PM
How're yeh?

I've just started listening to Meshuggah, where's a good place to start, and are there any albums where they never playing anything off live? Should I avoid any CD?
Old 04-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I am Ahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommie View Post
I've just started listening to Meshuggah, where's a good place to start, and are there any albums where they never playing anything off live? Should I avoid any CD?
most of their live sets are drawn from obZen and Nothing, but they play some from Chaosphere and Destroy Erase Improve as well.
03/04/2013 Dropkick Murphys
Old 04-03-2011, 04:04 PM
not the mama

Quote:
They never play I or Catch-33 (cause they are 2 incredibly long songs), but you should definitely get those because they are their best work.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:57 PM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
I've always preferred 'Destroy Erase Improve' the most. They usually only play a song or two off that album at each show, but it's usually the closer. It's probably a more straight forward album them. 'Chaosphere' is what the title says, their most chaotic album. 'Nothing' and 'ObZen' are pretty similar, with 'Obzen' just being much, much better. Both follow the more hypnotic side of Meshuggah. 'Catch 33' is okay. And the 'I' EP is actually a really good midway point between older chaotic Meshuggah and the never hypnotic Meshuggah.

If I were to rank their albums I'd go with:
1. Destroy Erase Improve
2. I
3. ObZen
4. Chaosphere
5. Nothing
6. Catch 33

I've only heard the original version of Nothing, and I've never been too much into anything before Destroy Erase Improve.

And to go with the original posters comments, Meshuggah have one of the best stage presence of any band I've ever seen. When I saw them open for Ministry in 2008 there was no intro music, just HEAVY feedback into the first song (Perpetual Black Second), the lights were all behind the band which gave a cool effect and they all headbanged in slow motion to the music. Awesome to watch and hear.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Headbanger

Kinda strange they didn't play New Millenium Cyanide Christ or Suffer in Truth, 2 of my favorites but still a great set.

To a new listener I'd recommend Chaosphere and Destroy Erase Improve. Once you've gotten into them I'd recommend Obzen, Nothing and I.

The old stuff Contradictions Collapse & None are really cool but much different their later stuff really.

I'm a huge Meshuggah fan but I still don't really get Catch 33. I'm hoping someday it clicks with me but it hasn't yet.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:45 PM
N00B

Ive seen MESHUGGAH 4 times live now, once with CYNIC opening.

Anyway, this is a pretty freaking awesome setlist, Soul Burn as the encore is much better then seeing Future Breed Machine close it out every show. Im still DYING to see them play Closed Eye Visuals.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
They never play I or Catch-33 (cause they are 2 incredibly long songs), but you should definitely get those because they are their best work.
I saw them for Catch 33 back in 2005 and they did a Medley from that album. I think it was In Death Is Death, Shed and a couple others. If someone can correct me please do so.

Tags
meshuggah