Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-25-2011, 12:14 AM
That Guy

Fair To Midland -- St. Paul, MN -- March 24, 2011

Just got back from the show. HOLY FUCK! The best 13 bucks I've spent in along time.

I'll get into detail about everything tomorrow, I'm just too tired to go into detail about everything that happened *BUT THERE IS A LOT OF INSIDER INFORMATION I WILL GIVE TOMORROW CONCERNING TWO OF THE BANDS THAT PLAYED TONIGHT* but until then here's 3 pictures you guys might enjoy:

Me and Scale The Summit guitarist, Chris Letchford

Periphery vocalist, Spencer Sotelo and myself

Periphery Lead Guitarist, Misha, The Electric Lightbulb, Mansoor, and myself.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

INSIDER INFO?!

Ok, so Periphery is on Summer Slaughter?

also: DJENT GUY!
11/12 - Eyehategod
12/05 - Alien Ant Farm (what)
Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
INSIDER INFO?!

Ok, so Periphery is on Summer Slaughter?

also: DJENT GUY!
I'm not saying a word yet until I wake up tomorrow. I guess you can say I got insider info on all 3 bands, but I don't think that many people here care about Fair To Midland. But I will say this croming from the Djent guy...

Can you come over the horizon to bring me the hairpray?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

hairpray! \m/

also before it gets out of hand, i reviewed bmth's latest album and liked it but i absolutely hate everything else they've done!
11/12 - Eyehategod
12/05 - Alien Ant Farm (what)
Old 03-25-2011, 12:48 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
hairpray! \m/

also before it gets out of hand, i reviewed bmth's latest album and liked it but i absolutely hate everything else they've done!
Hahaha, it's all good man, but just remember, If I catch shit for liking SOME Djent, you gotta expect the same from liking BMTH.

BTW, no, I wasn't hinting at anything. Periphery is not touring with Bring Me The Horizon, or at least I pray to the gods of skinny punks that doesn't happen...or Spencer lied to me. But I don't think so. The info he gave me sounds pretty damn true and about damn time.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:08 AM
N00B

Fucking kickass show.

I'm not 100% percent sure about the order
Periphery
1. New Groove
2. Letter Experiment
3. Jetpacks was Yes!
4. Buttersnips
5. Light
6. New Live Intro
7. Totla Mad
8. Frak the Gods!
9. Icarus Lives!
10. The Walk

Also not sure on the order
Scale the Summit
1. Colossal
2. The Great Plains
3. Emersion
4. Levitated
5. Drifting Figures
6. Alpenglow
7. Gallows
8. Levitated
Old 03-25-2011, 01:31 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemeistro View Post
Fucking kickass show.

I'm not 100% percent sure about the order
Periphery
1. New Groove
2. Letter Experiment
3. Jetpacks was Yes!
4. Buttersnips
5. Light
6. New Live Intro
7. Totla Mad
8. Frak the Gods!
9. Icarus Lives!
10. The Walk

Also not sure on the order
Scale the Summit
1. Colossal
2. The Great Plains
3. Emersion
4. Levitated
5. Drifting Figures
6. Alpenglow
7. Gallows
8. Levitated
Holy Fuck! Those are some awesome sets! You guys probably saw my review for STS's latest album, but I absolutely adore it. Sucks that there's only 2 song from Carving Desert Canyons and none from Monument but The Collective is so good that I don't care.

Also: how was the crowd reaction for Periphery? Fair to Midland isn't metal, and I'm afraid there isn't going to be any moshes or anything for my djent boys. My friends and I might try to start one if that's the case; I can't possibly stand still when I hear The Walk or Frak the Gods

oh and no Zyglrox? Sad face.

Last edited by jd091; 03-25-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM
That Guy

Damn beat me to it. That's what I get for waiting till the next day. Periphery is dead on, but Scale the Summit played everything on The Collective except but Sacred Earth and Black Earth. I'll get into that in the review. As you guys may or may not know, my reviews have more to do with everything but the actual show.

Oh and Fair To Midland is indeed Metal. just wait till you hear thier new songs, especially Rikki Tikki Tavi. No I'm not bullshitting.

Anyways here my review.

For those interested, about an hour before the show did an hour long podcast together that will be up this weekend. It's basically us discussing our favorite albums of 2011 so far, along with a lot of sidetracks about other bands and our different opinions on them. I'll post the link in the general chat if anyone is interested when it comes out.

When I got in I went straight to the merch table. I picked up a Periphery sweatshirt jacket for 10 Bucks! it's got the blue Periphery logo from what I'm guessing is the last year since they had other sweatshirt jackets for normal concert prices.

The first band up was a local opener called Reaping Asmodeia. They are a local Tech. Death Metal band I've done a few shows with. Really cool guys. The music I wasn't really into that much. For me it had a little too much Deathcore for my liking. But their stage show is funny as hell. Although they weren't the best choice for a opening act. They did a hell of a job.

Next up was Scale The Summit, and damn they have gotten so much better from the Progressive Nation 2009 tour I last saw them at.Originally they were only going to be playing a 25 minute set, then one of the promoters of the tour went on stage to let them know they actually had a 45 minute set. So with that being the case, they played all but 2 songs off The Collective (Black Hills, Balkan) and The Great Plains.

Next up was Periphery. I just gotta say this. I love the band, they write great music and can pull it off damn well live, but their fans suck! One song in and I got my ass handed to me by the asshole 16 year old Hot Topic fans who just discovered that Math metal is cool. Everyone of drinking age was just looking at the 16 year olds and laughing at them for trying to start the mosh shit. Luckily they were able to get out of the way of them. My favorite Periphery song is Letter Experiment and I couldn't even enjoy it. So about half way through Jetpacks Was Yes! I left the pit and stayed out the rest of the night. It turns out none of the bands had setlists on this tour so I figured it wasn't even worth it.

So I went to the back and the sides before eventually going to the bar area to watch the rest of the rest.

Between Periphery and Fair To Midland, I got to hang out with Spencer Sotelo for about 10 minutes.

Here's insider information number one. This summer, Periphery will be doing a headlining tour. Although Spencer couldn't legally tell us who is opening for them, I joked around that the support should be Animals As Leaders and Tesseract. He then gave me a huge smile saying, "If you like our and their styles, you will love this tour." So, I guess we'll find out eventually for sure.

He was also talking about how the 2nd album is going to blow the debut album to shame. In his words there will be much more diversity and insanity. In my humble opinion, the more they more away from using the Djent chords, they better they will be. I mean obviously leave a little bit to keep their style going, but the non-djent parts of their songs are absolutely the best.

My other favorite line from Spencer was the reason why they haven't played Ow My Feels or Racecar yet is that they have yet to ever fully learn the songs. But for the upcoming headlining tours, they will learn both.

So then came on Fair To Midland. Who easily put on one of the best damn stage shows of any live band I will ever see. While I don't know the exact setlist, this is very damn close, if not the same setlist. I only say that because I'm not familiar wit the new songs:

Whiskey and Ritalin
Walls of Jericho
Musical Chairs Play Video
April Fools and Eggmen
Tall Tales Taste Like Sour Grapes
Rikki Tikki Tavi
Dance of the Manatee
Amarillo Sleeps on My Pillow
Golden Parachutes

During this time, I tried going back into the pit, but there was so many people I just wasn't up to it when I could hang out with the bands at the Merch tables. During this time I hung out with Misha for the first time of the night. He was singing along with Walls Of Jericho at the Merch Table, it was fucking hilarious. I got his autograph on a poster of the show. But the talks he was having with the other guys was hilarious. About where to sign autographs on guys to popping pills and crack *obviously joking*

I went over to Scale The Summit's merch table after this and talked to Chris and Jordan. I bought the new album and told them how impressed I was with the new material and how much they've improved since Progressive nation, they were both very gracious. Although they had a lot of people starting to talk to them when I did it wasn't the last I talked to Chris.

After all the hot topic kids discovered Misha was at the Merch table I went back to the bar area to watch the rest of FTM's set. During Dance Of The Manatee, singer, Darroh jumped up to the rafters, scaled the whole audience right side of lights and started singing upside down, then eventually jumping down into the crowd to finish up the set. During the last song, Golden Parachutes Misha went on stage and gave Darroh a piggy back ride, which lead to Darroh stage diving into the crowd for the finale.

After the show was the best conversations I had.

I went to back over to see Misha to get a picture *since I have a phone where I can actually take pictures on now I can actually now prove I met the musicians I've said I have* after 2 failed attempts we finally got a somewhat decent picture.

Then I went over to Scale The Summit table again where they were backing up. I wanted to talk to Chris again because he is like me musically where we enjoy almost all the same types of music. We talked for what felt like almost an hour. Everything from the new album, to the tour, to new music, to Jazz, to just simply band life.

And here comes insider information number two: First up Scale The Summit will be direct support for The Human Abstract's upcoming summer tour in a 5 band bill. I totally forgot two of the band he mentioned from last night but I do remember the band This Or The Apocalypse will be one of them. But as I just said Scale The Summit will be direct support, but sadly is not coming to Minnesota. Dates will be announced soon.. Followed by a tour of Europe and back here for either another direct support tour, or HEADLINING tour in the fall.

So after a really cool talk with Chris, I got my picture with him, and let him head over to Buffalo Wild Wings.

I lastly went over to the Fair To Midland table which was the same area as Periphery's table. I talked to guitarist, Cliff for a good long while. The other insider information is that FTM will be on tour in June when the new album comes out. But we had some good talks as well about music of all styles.

From there on out I just drove home to STS's The Collective blasting out of my car and enjoying what was a great night.

Last edited by MPF; 03-25-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 PM
All of my life, I've been waiting for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
And here comes insider information number two: First up Scale The Summit will be direct support for The Human Abstract's upcoming summer tour in a 5 band bill. I totally forgot two of the band he mentioned from last night but I do remember the band This Or The Apocalypse will be one of them.
THE HUMAN ABSTRACT
SCALE THE SUMMIT
THIS OR THE APOCALYPSE
LETLIVE
DEFINITIONS
ARCANE HAVEN
IN WAKE OF YOU

This is the bill in Pittsburgh.
Youth Code: 12/2
Angel Olsen: 12/9
Puce Mary: 12/11
Yob: 12/12
Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobys37 View Post
THE HUMAN ABSTRACT
SCALE THE SUMMIT
THIS OR THE APOCALYPSE
LETLIVE
DEFINITIONS
ARCANE HAVEN
IN WAKE OF YOU

This is the bill in Pittsburgh.
I'm guessing In Wake Of You and Arcane Haven are local openers as Chris said that it is 5 band bill with local openers. So Scale the Summit will be direct support with only a 30 minute set.

Tags
fair to midland, periphery, scale the summit