Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO-- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002
Queen + Adam Lambert - Toronto, ON - July 28th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 PM
illuminatus917's Avatar
illuminatus917 illuminatus917 is offline
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: the mountains, NC
Posts: 3,022
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by illninoese View Post
So most of these shows are 21+UP and I'm 20 years old so I'm kinda fucked over right now and pretty pissed. Does anyone know if The Earl in Atlanta, GA is strict about making sure your 21? I can't miss this show
This is why I'm going up to Cleveland. The 21+ is costing me an extra 2-3 hours of driving.
__________________
Never whistle while you're pissing.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM
idrinkwine732's Avatar
idrinkwine732 idrinkwine732 is offline
Pursue happiness with diligence
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethefall View Post
my least fav is Ashes,
new enemy
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-16-2011, 07:16 PM
illuminatus917's Avatar
illuminatus917 illuminatus917 is offline
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: the mountains, NC
Posts: 3,022
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
new enemy
Yeah, can't say I understand the reasoning there...
__________________
Never whistle while you're pissing.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-18-2011, 11:38 PM
insidethefall insidethefall is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Yeah, can't say I understand the reasoning there...
Folk metal>post rock, although I'll admit ashes is stellar minus the drums
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 AM
idrinkwine732's Avatar
idrinkwine732 idrinkwine732 is offline
Pursue happiness with diligence
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethefall View Post
Folk metal>post rock
Not only do I disagree with that statement, I disagree that any agalloch album has been folk metal or post-rock.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 PM
insidethefall insidethefall is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Not only do I disagree with that statement, I disagree that any agalloch album has been folk metal or post-rock.
C'mon I mean even Agalloch themselves have admitted the heavy influence of post-rock on Ashes and their earlier stuff, especially the Mantle, is heavy on the folk aesthetic (i.e. a variety of folk instruments were used), hence the term Folk Metal.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
idrinkwine732's Avatar
idrinkwine732 idrinkwine732 is offline
Pursue happiness with diligence
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethefall View Post
C'mon I mean even Agalloch themselves have admitted the heavy influence of post-rock on Ashes and their earlier stuff, especially the Mantle, is heavy on the folk aesthetic (i.e. a variety of folk instruments were used), hence the term Folk Metal.
Sure, but just because influences exist doesn't make it so. For instance, Behemoth has a black metal influence yet is not black metal in the least. Same logic applies. I don't think Agalloch really sound like post-rock or folk metal.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 PM
christopher's Avatar
christopher christopher is offline
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 5,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
This is why I'm going up to Cleveland. The 21+ is costing me an extra 2-3 hours of driving.
Oh shit! On a side note, you're going to Merlefest??? Lucky bastard, I want nothing more in life than to see Doc Watson perform, but he never comes to LA
__________________
Who needs salad when you've got Satan?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
insidethefall insidethefall is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Sure, but just because influences exist doesn't make it so. For instance, Behemoth has a black metal influence yet is not black metal in the least. Same logic applies. I don't think Agalloch really sound like post-rock or folk metal.
Behemoth WERE a black metal band, then a hybrid of death/black then pure death metal but that's beside the point. I'm not saying that Agalloch are any particular style, to me they are just Agalloch but I must say when they experiment with a musical style, they tend to really embrace it. If I were to label PF I would say folk/atmospheric metal, The Mantle, I would say Folk Metal, Ashes - Post Metal, Marrow Black/Dark/Atmospheric Metal. I like to lump things into categories, probably because I was in library school for so long.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 PM
moobys37's Avatar
moobys37 moobys37 is offline
All of my life, I've been waiting for you...
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh/California
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Sure, but just because influences exist doesn't make it so. For instance, Behemoth has a black metal influence yet is not black metal in the least. Same logic applies. I don't think Agalloch really sound like post-rock or folk metal.
If what John told me they were considering for their next project comes true, well, you'll see...
__________________
Future Islands: 8/8
Slowdive: 10/23
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
agalloch

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008