Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

European Carnage -- Moscow, Russia -- March 15th, 2011

@ Olympic Stadium
Support: None

Can't remember EVERYTHING exactly, but here it is. In no order...

MEGADETH
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
Hangar 18
Wake Up Dead
How the Story Ends
Head Crusher
Peace Sells
Symphony of Destruction
Tornado of Souls
Sweating Bullets
She-Wolf
Skin O' My Teeth
A Tout Le Monde
Trust
In My Darkest Hour

SLAYER
Angel of Death
The Antichrist
World Painted Blood
Americon
Hate Worldwide
Black Magic
Raining Blood
Dead Skin Mask
South of Heaven
Mandatory Suicide
Hallowed Point
War Ensemble
Silent Scream

Probably missing a few songs, but fuck it. I'm too high off moshing to care.

I went to the Megadeth meet 'n' greet, and I can say that meeting the four geniuses behind one of the best metal bands out there was one of the most fulfilling experiences in my life. Unfortunately, I could not get anything signed -- I had gone earlier on during the day (going as far as to skip classes) to the autograph session, only to have Mustaine and Drover leave the signing desks as soon as I had gotten inside. Unlike my companions, I wasn't too upset -- there's free autograph booths at Mayhem Fest

First came Mustaine -- and yes, he is still ginger. As I greeted him warmly, he noted on my 'foreign' accent, telling me I didn't look, or sound for that matter, Russian. I told him I was from the Bay Area, from California, and he immediately proceeded to asking me whether I was to hit the Mountain View Mayhem Festival stop. I told him I would, and with a hearty laugh he told me to bring the photo (which would be taken in a few minutes) of me and the rest of the band to him in July, so he could sign it.

Next came Ellefson -- he gave me a "Privet!", to which I replied I perfeectly knew English. He laughed, telling me that "-it's nice to have someone normal here." (I was the only American among a dozen Russian Megadeth Fan Club members). As he shook my hand, he took a quick look at me, and then asked me through laughter "Care to explain why you're wearing flannel to a thrash show?" I told him it was better than wearing a coat inside the stuffy stadium, and he gave me a "gotcha!" and told me to give him a shout-out at Mayhem.

Next came Broderick and Drover, together. Like Ellefson, they were glad to meet someone whose speech was understandable. We chatted about past Megadeth shows I had attended, and when the Cyber Army representative told everybody to pose for the group photo, I put my arms on Broderick's and Drover's shoulders (a photo of which I will keep as my Facebook profile picture for years to come).

--

Due to traffic (I had to go back and get my friends back home), I came inside right in the middle of the first song of Megadeth's set -- Holy Wars (an odd choice to open the show with). I immediately noticed that Mustaine's singing was slightly off -- this was only the beginning of a major dissapointment. I have to say that the only song that the band did justice to was Wake Up Dead -- a song that I had only started to worship after my first Megadeth gig, back in July, which was absolutely incredible. The mosh pit was unfortunately very stale during Megadeth's performance, with simply a little pushing, which was such a mood-killer that I could hardly call it moshing. I'm sad to say that Megadeth's performance tonight earned a three out of five -- I was tempted to give a four out of sympathy and adoration for the band.

Next came out Slayer, and World Painted Blood immediately hit off the pit. It was fucking crazy -- only the first song, and I could already taste the sweat of the adrenaline-fueled metalheads and me. I went batshit insane, pulling off every move in the book, along with my friend. Unfortunately, by the time Slayer had segued into the second track, Hate Worldwide, he had been headbutted by a fellow mosher, and began profusely bleeding from his eyebrow. As measly a wound this sounds, blood ran fast, and as everybody around him began inspecting the wound, he wiped the blood off, and freaked out. He left in a hurry, not telling me where he was going. I waved it off, and continued fucking shit up.

I absolutely loved Slayer. Their set was among the best I had ever witnessed. I am astounded that despite the situations with Araya and Hannemann (Holt was awesome, imo), they can pull off a FIVE STAR performance. Bravo, Slayer! This was the first time I had seen you and you completely went far beyond my expectations! Despite not playing Beauty through Order, Bloodline, or Disciple, that was fucking AWESOME. I can't wait till I go again to see them.

I bought a pretty cool Slayer t-shirt, which was insanely priced at $30 in Russian currency. My friend (injured one) said he'd never go to Slayer again, a very dissapointing decision.

On a side note, there was a Megadeth t-shirt on sale which had the caption 'Peace Sells 2011 Tour'. What? What Peace Sells tour? They played two songs from Peace Sells -- that's complete bullshit.

Anyway, I'll update the setlist later. BrutalDescent out, good night (hell to the yes) and good luck.

EDIT: Morning after. Slayer is now the best band I have ever seen live.
3/15 Gogol Bordello

Last edited by brutal_descent; 02-14-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
On a side note, there was a Megadeth t-shirt on sale which had the caption 'Peace Sells 2011 Tour'. What? What Peace Sells tour? They played two songs from Peace Sells -- that's complete bullshit.
Haha, I bet that means they're doing a tour playing all of Peace Sells or something. This year's the 25th anniversary after all.

Great review man. Glad you had fun in the pit, too -- I lasted about 30 seconds in the pit at my show.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:06 PM
N00B

Here is the set in order according to setlist.fm

[b]MEGADETH

1. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
2. Hangar 18
3. Wake Up Dead
4. In My Darkest Hour
5. She-Wolf
6. Skin o' My Teeth
7. A Tout Le Monde
8. How the Story Ends
9. Tornado of Souls
10. Trust
11. Head Crusher
12. Sweating Bullets
13. Symphony of Destruction
14. Peace Sells (w/Holy Wars reprise)

Still doing the Holy Wars reprise thing....

[b]SLAYER

World Painted Blood
Hate Worldwide
War Ensemble
Postmortem
Hallowed Point
Dead Skin Mask
Silent Scream
The Antichrist
Americon
Payback
Mandatory Suicide
Temptation
South of Heaven
Raining Blood
Black Magic
Angel of Death
Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian852009 View Post
Here is the set in order according to setlist.fm

[b]MEGADETH

1. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
2. Hangar 18
3. Wake Up Dead
4. In My Darkest Hour
5. She-Wolf
6. Skin o' My Teeth
7. A Tout Le Monde
8. How the Story Ends
9. Tornado of Souls
10. Trust
11. Head Crusher
12. Sweating Bullets
13. Symphony of Destruction
14. Peace Sells (w/Holy Wars reprise)

Still doing the Holy Wars reprise thing....

[b]SLAYER

World Painted Blood
Hate Worldwide
War Ensemble
Postmortem
Hallowed Point
Dead Skin Mask
Silent Scream
The Antichrist
Americon
Payback
Mandatory Suicide
Temptation
South of Heaven
Raining Blood
Black Magic
Angel of Death
Hmm, I got it mostly all right.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 03-15-2011, 06:58 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Sorry to hear that Megadeth sucked.

As always, Slayer never disappoints!!!

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 03-15-2011, 07:27 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
SLAYER
The Antichrist
Black Magic
Hallowed Point
Silent Scream
Nice.

I wonder when Megadeth will play Endgame.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 PM
N00B

Somewhere I read that Megadeth is supposed to tour in the last few months of 2011 playing all of Peace Sells. That might explain the shirt.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Replace Americon with Not of this God and would love to see Evil has no Boundaries, but thats never going to happen.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:49 AM
D.B.B.

Great Megadeth set IMO.

Slayer is kinda lacking but hey it's something different, plus songs from Show No Mercy never disappoint. Hope we get something like this during the Big 4 shows.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM

A few days before the Kiev concert, there were a few rumors about Slayer's set comprising of all of Season in the Abyss and setlist staples. I was initially excited for this (Seasons of the Abyss is arguably my favorite Slayer album) but now I think about it, and realize that would've been quite boring.
3/15 Gogol Bordello

Tags
megadeth, slayer