Judas Priest -- Worcester, MA -- July 26th, 1988
Arsis -- West Springfield, VA -- September 1st, 2014
Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014

Old 03-13-2011, 01:10 PM
N00B

New Drum Set Help

I've been looking into some new drum sets and have been stuck between a few decisions. Also it would be good to mention I've been low on my cash flow recently so I'm not aiming for anything overboard.
Now I have between these two, which ones do you think I should get?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-Roc...84-i1685817.gc

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/msg/2259362816.html

If you have any other set suggestions for around the same price range, be sure to mention it. If not, please help me on which set I should choose and be sure to mention why. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-13-2011, 06:04 PM
That Guy

As one of the few drummers here, I'll be happy to help you out.
The Superstars over the Rockstars. Superstars are intermediate drums and Rockstars are beginner. So the hardware/shells/ect will all be better on the Superstars. But when looking at the Craigslist ad and also the guitar center link, you would only be getting the drums in either case.

Do you have any hardware/cymbals stands/pedal currently? If not I'd say get the the Superstars. Besides the fact they have been used in Malevolent Creation, they are better drums. Also save about $500-$600 on hardware and cymbals if you don't have them already. That part always sucks, but it's worth it.

If I'm missing any information let me know and I'll help you out.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 PM
N00B

Thanks! I was thinking the same so far. And yes, I already have my own hard ware and cymbals. For the craigslist one, I'm trying to contact the seller but no luck so far. If I fail to do so, do you have any suggestions around the price. Ones that would be good for metal and etc.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:56 PM
That Guy

Honestly any setup can be perfect for Metal as long as the bass drum is 20" kick or above. I've tried 18 before and it sounds way too high.

My personal peference is Pearl. I've been using Pearl Exports since I started playing 14 years ago. I play Exports because every set I've had I've been able to tune eith ease and in the stuio and live can make sound very badass. Although you can only get Exports used now as they were discontinued for the Vision seriies a few years back.

Honestly above all else, I'd say go used. As long as the shells are in great condition and not cracked, they are perfect with the right drumheads and a knowledge of tuning.

If you come across any kits you might consider a deal, put up a link here and I'll let you know if it is worth it or not. I'm happy to help out in any way I can.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:22 PM
N00B

Thanks man, I'll be sure to let you know if I find anything.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:49 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

My suggestions:
Buy used.
Buy good shit, start small and build your way up if you want a bigger kit instead. Buying a 20 piece Crapstar will be overwhelming if you're trying to learn, as well as teach you to depend on your equipment more than your skills, and leave you with a kit that you have to sell/trade up for. I highly reccomend the Superstar series.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:57 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
My suggestions:
Buy used.
Buy good shit, start small and build your way up if you want a bigger kit instead. Buying a 20 piece Crapstar will be overwhelming if you're trying to learn, as well as teach you to depend on your equipment more than your skills, and leave you with a kit that you have to sell/trade up for. I highly reccomend the Superstar series.
I've been playing for 5 years lol. But my starter set I've had for about 3/4 years is falling apart.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 PM
N00B

One of them still hasn't replied, but I found this guy - http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/msg/2259580190.html
Which ones do you think?
Are there any better than the ones I already showed you?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM
That Guy

Of all the ones listed, this is the one that stands out the most to me:

Quote:
Set # 11 FOR INTERMEDIATE, AND PRO DRUMMERS: Tama Starclassic 100% Birch 5 piece set in a red sparkle fade lacquered finish . The sizes are 22 x 18 bass, 10, 12, 14 mounted toms and matching 5 x 14 snare. Beautiful looking, great sounding and in very good condition. Comes with tom mounts if you want drums only. Drums only $650.
Since you have all the cymbals and hardware, $650 for a complete set of Tama Starclassics *Tama's highest series* is a steal. I'd jump all over that.

All the other sets mentioned are either complete shit *Percussion Plus* or beginnier/interdemiate kit. The Starclassics are the only top of the line series available of those mentioned. if I didn't have my drums I'd be all over that.