Flotsam and Jetsam -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 9th, 2014
King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9, 2014
Slash -- Hampton Beach, NH -- July 9th, 2014
Sebastian Bach -- London, England -- July 9th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-09-2011, 03:20 PM
N00B

Clutch -- Nashville, TN -- March 6th, 2011

One of the few off dates from the Motorhead tour. At the Mercy lounge, a Small club of maybe 300 or so. The usual place they play the last three years. I have been fortunate enough to see Clutch coming up on 25 times since 1994 and This show easily ranks in top 3 Clutch shows I have seen in the past 20 years. Hard to top the early 2004 evening with Clutch shows on the Blast tyrant tour where they played 3 hours. And oddly enough I saw them with Motorhead the night before in NC and I was sad to say it was my least favorite Clutch set ever. What a difference a Night can bring.
Great paced set that never let up even with the numerous jams that often fell in between songs. Neil was on fire doing the crazed preacher facial expressions and arm movements. never seen a frontman get so much out of so little actual movement. Not that he just stood there, not at all but if you've seen the band you'll know what i mean. The guy is brilliant.
Thrilled to see some songs again I haven't seen in almost 10 years like Boarder and Regulator. 1 to 6 and then 13 to 16 are correct. might be out of order a bit in the middle. If I missed a song jump in and let me know.

1. Profits of Doom
2. Mob Goes Wild
3. 50,000 Unstoppable Watts
4. Struck Down
5. Texan Book of the Dead
6. Burning Beard
7. Elephant Riders
8. The Regulator
9. Open Up The Border
10.The Soapmakers
11.Gravel Rd.
12.Cypress Grove
13.Big News I > Jam > Big News II
14.Electric worry / One eyed Dollar

ENCORE
15.Spacegrass
16.Animal Farm
Old 03-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Headbanger

Even though they still piss me off by still doing nothing off Speedway or Impetus this is a damn good setlist.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:03 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Even though they still piss me off by still doing nothing off Speedway or Impetus this is a damn good setlist.
Not to be a dick, but you know this isn't going to happen, so this really isnt worth complaining about anymore.

Awesome set.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
Not to be a dick, but you know this isn't going to happen, so this really isnt worth complaining about anymore.

Awesome set.
Why? Why not play a 2:50 song like Marcus just to please the old school fans? I'd rather hear Electric Worry into Marcus before One Eye Dollar anyday.

Maybe I'm the eternal optomist but unless it's a record company dis or some reason why they don't want people buying those cd's why ignore them?

Do they hate Eastwest and/or Earache records or something? Do they not get enough money if they sell those cd's as opposed to the s/t? If it's that I'd almost understand but until I hear that is the real reason I just can't let it go. There are people who don't even know Speedway exists and it's one of their 3 best cd's to me.

Why release Pitchfork and Lost Needles a few years ago and never play a great track like Wicker? I thought it was odd PF&LN was released on Megaforce so maybe it is a record label thing. Anyone know?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM
N00B

I've seen Marcus at least three times in the past couple years.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the lightsaber.

Quote:
Why? Why not play a 2:50 song like Marcus just to please the old school fans? I'd rather hear Electric Worry into Marcus before One Eye Dollar anyday.

Maybe I'm the eternal optimist but unless it's a record company dis or some reason why they don't want people buying those cd's why ignore them?

Do they hate Eastwest and/or Earache records or something? Do they not get enough money if they sell those cd's as opposed to the s/t? If it's that I'd almost understand but until I hear that is the real reason I just can't let it go. There are people who don't even know Speedway exists and it's one of their 3 best cd's to me.

Why release Pitchfork and Lost Needles a few years ago and never play a great track like Wicker? I thought it was odd PF&LN was released on Megaforce so maybe it is a record label thing. Anyone know?

http://www.flockedmedia.com/2010/11/...paul-gaultier/

This kind of explains why they don't play certain songs anymore:

Amanda: Since Clutch has progressed so far throughout the years, do you find it strange to do some of the older material? Meaning, your head was in a different place then, and you’ve grown as a band and as musicians. When you are playing the song does your mind think, “Wow, I am so not this person anymore.”

Jean Paul: I think maybe there are some songs that Neil doesn’t really want to sing, and we don’t really want to play. Binge and Purge is an excellent example of something like that. We’re not particularly angry people; I think we’re all really happy to be playing music. With that being said, I still enjoy playing some of those old songs too. At this point, we’ve sort of gone through the entire catalog. The songs that still work live, the songs that we’re still comfortable playing in the set list; we make a different set list every night, and consequently the songs that we pull from, our catalog, is a lot bigger than most bands is, so we play stuff from every album, from the very old stuff to the newest album, Strange Cousins From the West.

The Pitchfork and Lost Needles situation is strange I figured they would have played some of the those tracks after the release (which I keep thinking they played Far Country for some reason back in 05 or 06). Wicker would have been awesome!

Here is a little explanation:

When did the idea to re-release Pitchfork first surface, and are you satisfied with it?

http://www.lambgoat.com/features/interviews/clutch.aspx

Neil: We originally released Pitchfork as a 7 inch on a small label, and then started selling it on our own as a CD a few years after that. And then about three years ago, we were given this opportunity to go to Japan, and essentially it was, "we need to go to Japan and we need some money, what do we do?" So we made a deal with Megaforce Records and we licensed them the Jam Room record and the Pitchfork record, and they in turn gave us some money. We went to Japan, and that was pretty much it. Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
I've seen Marcus at least three times in the past couple years.
Same here and I saw El Jefe Speaks along with Walking the Great Shining Path of Monster Trucks.

Clutch has not completely abandoned TSL, they just haven't played anything from it this tour.

I think El Jefe, Rats, Monster Trucks, and Marcus will be back in the rotation.

That said, this was a very solid set, and I really wish one of the off dates was in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by evildeadjedi; 03-09-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 PM
slave to the grind

Over the course of the 8 times I've seen them I have definitely seen them do Shogun, Impetus, and 12 oz. Epilogue on several occasions, as well as El Jefe and Monster Trucks at least once. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I saw 12 oz. on a setlist from this current tour. I'm seeing them tomorrow, and I honestly don't care what they play. It'll be awesome as always!
7/25-Undergang
8/1-Buried at Birth
8/4-Oathbreaker
8/5-Early Graves
Old 03-10-2011, 05:37 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildeadjedi View Post
http://www.flockedmedia.com/2010/11/...paul-gaultier/

This kind of explains why they don't play certain songs anymore:

Amanda: Since Clutch has progressed so far throughout the years, do you find it strange to do some of the older material? Meaning, your head was in a different place then, and you’ve grown as a band and as musicians. When you are playing the song does your mind think, “Wow, I am so not this person anymore.”

Jean Paul: I think maybe there are some songs that Neil doesn’t really want to sing, and we don’t really want to play. Binge and Purge is an excellent example of something like that. We’re not particularly angry people; I think we’re all really happy to be playing music. With that being said, I still enjoy playing some of those old songs too. At this point, we’ve sort of gone through the entire catalog. The songs that still work live, the songs that we’re still comfortable playing in the set list; we make a different set list every night, and consequently the songs that we pull from, our catalog, is a lot bigger than most bands is, so we play stuff from every album, from the very old stuff to the newest album, Strange Cousins From the West.

The Pitchfork and Lost Needles situation is strange I figured they would have played some of the those tracks after the release (which I keep thinking they played Far Country for some reason back in 05 or 06). Wicker would have been awesome!

Here is a little explanation:

When did the idea to re-release Pitchfork first surface, and are you satisfied with it?

http://www.lambgoat.com/features/interviews/clutch.aspx

Neil: We originally released Pitchfork as a 7 inch on a small label, and then started selling it on our own as a CD a few years after that. And then about three years ago, we were given this opportunity to go to Japan, and essentially it was, "we need to go to Japan and we need some money, what do we do?" So we made a deal with Megaforce Records and we licensed them the Jam Room record and the Pitchfork record, and they in turn gave us some money. We went to Japan, and that was pretty much it. Yeah.

Same here and I saw El Jefe Speaks along with Walking the Great Shining Path of Monster Trucks.

Clutch has not completely abandoned TSL, they just haven't played anything from it this tour.

I think El Jefe, Rats, Monster Trucks, and Marcus will be back in the rotation.

That said, this was a very solid set, and I really wish one of the off dates was in my neck of the woods.
Damn, thanks for the info and education. Ironically Binge and Purge is my favorite Clutch song and always has been since the 1st time I saw it live. They used to open with it when they were still an opening act.

I just listened to Passive Restraints and was blown away. Man I love that song. I tried to listen to Strange Cousins after that and I just don't get that album at all. I could literally do a top 75 Clutch songs and not 1 song from that cd would make my list.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:57 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Thanks for those links as well. Damn good reads.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the lightsaber.

Quote:
Damn, thanks for the info and education. Ironically Binge and Purge is my favorite Clutch song and always has been since the 1st time I saw it live. They used to open with it when they were still an opening act.

I just listened to Passive Restraints and was blown away. Man I love that song. I tried to listen to Strange Cousins after that and I just don't get that album at all. I could literally do a top 75 Clutch songs and not 1 song from that cd would make my list.
You're welcome man and I have seen Binge and Purge once way back in 95' it was a sight to behold!

Passive Restraints was an awesome song! SCFTW is definitely a grower, took a few listens for me. However, Let a Poor Man Be, Abe Lincoln, and especially MINOTAUR really made me like the album. How many times have you listened to SCFTW out of curiosity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Thanks for those links as well. Damn good reads.
You're welcome I'm happy to help

Last edited by evildeadjedi; 03-10-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Tags
clutch