Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014
Killswitch Engage -- Providence, RI -- July 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-07-2011, 08:02 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
i figured there'd be a lot of people from this board that attended this show based on the lineup, so i decided to stop by this board and write a review.

the main reason i went was for Municipal Waste. i most likely would have went anyways even if they didn't play because it was a free event and it'd be awesome to check out some legendary metal bands. i went to this show with just one of my friends who also came primarily for Municipal Waste. we arrive at the area around 1:30ish. i have been to the glasshouse at least 6x, so it was really cool seeing that whole area blocked off for this metal festival filled with metalheads. it was a bit tiring to wait in the will call line for like an hour and a half, but the wait went by pretty fast actually. after getting our wrist bands we went to get some jack in the box and come back in time to catch some of Wormrot.

after getting back from eating, we watch the first band of the day at tent #1, Wormrot. at first they kind of bored me, but after about 10 minutes i enjoyed them. i have heard of this band many times before and when i checked them out prior to the show i thought they were alright, just not something i'd probably listen to on my own time honestly. but overall i enjoyed their set and they were a great way to kick off the festival.

next band was Fuck the Facts. like Wormrot, i have heard of this band before and i knew they had a chck singer so i wanted to check them out and see what they were all about. it was siuprising to see that voice come out of a chick honestly. i enjoyed their set but not as much as Wormrot. i left after 15 minutes because i wanted to see Bonded By Blood who were just starting.

i have been a fan of Bonded By Blood for maybe 2 years. i've known about this band for awhile since i remember this band playing local shows all the time back in '07/'08 before they got big. i had also just seen them last week with Death Angel in hollywood. but i was still stoked to see them again. when i got in they had already started their first song even though i got there 5 minutes ahead of time. they played great but i miss their old singer, but the new singer still did a good job. there were a few good circle pits going on for their set. i honestly didn't really enjoy their new album, so i was primarily really into their set when they played songs off Feed The Beast. those songs happened to be Immortal Life, Mind Pollution, and Feed The Beast, which they closed with. overall they great and i really enjoyed them.

next up was Athiest. i was interested in seeing them but i wanted some water so my friend and i walked down to street to get some. i had planned on walking in the glasshouse maybe 10minutes into their set but to my suprise their was a huge line and no one was getting in for Athiest. bummer since i wanted to check them out. i never got into Athiest honestly but from what i remember they sounded good.

next band i saw was Immolation. i don't really listen to death metal overall but i was interested in seeing them. overall i thought they were good but not amazing or anything.

next up was Death Angel. i felt bad because i heard a lot of people saying they were gonna go watch Obituary instead. i had just seen Death Angel last week but i decided to watch the first 15minutes of their set, leave and watch at least 20 minutes of Obituary, and come back and see the last 10 or so minutes of Death Angel, and i did just that. Death Angel like last week, were tight live. too bad their crowd wasn't that big at all. i went across the street to the Fox Theater to check out Obituary and that venue was pretty packed. i had never been to that venue actually but it's a theater very similar looking to the Avalon, Wiltern, and the Music Box for those in the LA area. the main pit floor for Obituary was packed to the fullest and they weren't letting anyone else in. Obituary sounded very tight live and the crowd on the floor were very into it. the pits were looking pretty intense. like i said before, i don't really listen to death metal, tried it many times for a few years but it never works out, but this band slayed live. i wish i could have watched them more but i only watched them for about 20 minutes because i wanted to be inside the glasshouse and wait for Municipal Waste so i could guarantee my spot inside the venue and not get lucked out with a big line with no one getting in like what happened with Athiest. so i came back and watched the rest of Death Angel and they were awesome.

after a 20 or so minute wait was the reason i came to this fest: Municipal Waste. the first and only time i have seen them was with At The Gates back in 2008 but not much people were into them. i have been wanting to see them again after getting into them, but i wasn't into them THAT much back then, plus i never had anyone to go with, but for the past year i have been listening to them a lot and have been really wanting to see them again. funny thing now is that A LOT of my friends like Municipal Waste after showing them before and they didn't like them. anyways, the Waste got on stage and fucking thrashed. they were a grip of fun. lots of a circle pits, a wall of death, lots of singing along, etc. i think a smaller venue would be a better fit for them, but they still slayed.

after seeing the Waste i was very satisfied with this entire day. my plan was to check out Morbid Angel afterwards and catch the last 45 minutes of them but i'm sure that was everyone's plan who watched the Waste. the line was veery long for them and they weren't letting anyone else in the venue because of over capacity. i'm not bummed about not seeing them since i don't listen to them, but it still would have been a treat to see the death metal legends.

i saw the singer of Municipal Waste after their set hanging out so i talked to him for a bit. he was a really cool dude and was really thankful that a lot of people watched them instead of Morbid Angel because he was saying he was worried everyone would be at Morbid Angel and that their crowd was gonna be empty lol. after talking to him for a bit i checked out Anaal Nathrakh. to be honest i really didn't like their studio work from checking them out before, but they really brought it live. everyone in the front was very into it. i only watched them for 20 minutes because i was very exhausted and i wanted to go home and sleep.

anyways this show was a blast. i saw and talked to rjturtle a few times, talked to andrewmetalhead at the end of the show, and saw some other metalhead friends i see at shows every now and then. and even though i wouldn't listen to most of these bands on my own time, all of them brought it with their live show. Obituary impressed me the most besides Municipal Waste.

if anyone saw me i was the somewhat dark-skinned guy with the spiked hair, cut sleeved black/red/yellow children of bodom tour shirt from 2008, black shorts, and most people would say i'm a bit muscular too. maybe i should've came on this board before the festival and said what i was wearing so some people could say what's up but oh well anyways this show was a blast and very much a memorable day. the only bummer was not seeing Athiest but i'm not too bummed about that.
I KNEW IT!!! I knew it!, I knew it. Dude, I saw you waiting in line next to me at the will call. I remember what you look like from your posts on the "post pictures thread". Fuck, man. I actually wanted to go up to you and say whats up! But I was worried it wasn't you. You had spiked hair? Right? Dude, you were right next to me at the will call line(at around 2pm-3pm). Damn, I kept saying to myself "Dude, this guy looks so familiar, I think this guy is from metalsetlist.com"....damn. I wanted to go up to you and say "HEY WHATS UP, Aren't you xstructivdefect from metal setlist?", but I was worried it might have not been you and I would of been a little embarrassed if I got the wrong guy.
10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 03-07-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 AM
N00B

Does anyone have the Dark Castle setlist from Scion? Also, does anyone know who their guest vocalist was?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnywithachainsaw View Post
Does anyone have the Dark Castle setlist from Scion? Also, does anyone know who their guest vocalist was?
I'm about to listen to Spirited Migration and see if I can recognize anything. I'll let you know.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 AM
N00B

just discovered this site while scouring the web for Scion Rock Fest feeback. I had a blast! I'm always down for free Scion shows....but this was ridiculous!

my personal highlights were:
Wormrot
finally seeing Fuck The Facts after 5+ years of waiting
Immolation
ANAAL NATHRAKH

caught partial sets from Woe, Primate, Atheist, Dark Angel, Bastard Noise, Obituary's last song and Morbid Angel as well.
Wish I could have seen Floor and Agalloch but hey, it's all free so I can't complain too much.

I have videos from Anaal Nathrakh's closing set and most the other bands I saw over on my youtube channel for the curious:
http://www.youtube.com/user/fullmetaljoker#p/u
Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocious_fetus View Post
just discovered this site while scouring the web for Scion Rock Fest feeback. I had a blast! I'm always down for free Scion shows....but this was ridiculous!

Wormrot
Immolation
ANAAL NATHRAKH

caught partial sets from Woe, Primate, Atheist, Dark Angel, Bastard Noise, Obituary's last song and Morbid Angel as well.
Wish I could have seen Floor and Agalloch but hey, it's all free so I can't complain too much.

I have videos from Anaal Nathrakh's closing set and most the other bands I saw over on my youtube channel for the curious:
http://www.youtube.com/user/fullmetaljoker#p/u
Welcome to the site, I love your username.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnywithachainsaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
I'm about to listen to Spirited Migration and see if I can recognize anything. I'll let you know.
So they definitely played Awake in Sleep and Into the Past, which was heavy as fuck. Seriously, makes the album version look like shit.

I'm having trouble with other parts though, A Depth Returns sounds familiar, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocious_fetus View Post

Wormrot
Immolation
ANAAL NATHRAKH

10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 03-07-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
I was appalled at the behavior from some of the people. Not being helped up in the pit.

During all of Obituarys set I was in the pit and every single time I fell to the ground a fellow metal head would immediately pull me the fuck back up in less than 2 seconds. I would return the favor by doing the same..which happened a lot
10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post

Come on, cut the new guy some slack. Jessica Alba was HOT in that show.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

That was such a great night! That was easily one of the best concerts I've been to.

The Bands I saw were:

I was listening to Wormrot while I was waiting in line for the Glass House and they sounded pretty good. I've never really cared for grindcore that much but they sounded like a band I could listen to.

Christian Mistress (This band was pretty boring overall, but they had some good riffs)

Bonded by Blood (Fun band, I had seen them at the Chain Reaction twice already and it was nice to see them play a longer set)

Atheist (Good set but I haven't really listened to Atheist that much aside from the Unquestionable Presence album. I enjoyed them though)

Immolation (My second favorite band of the night. Seeing Father, You're Not a Father live was one of the best moments I've had at a concert. I really regret not seeing them with Vader last year but this made up for it a little bit. I was banging my head and pumping my fist so hard that I actually hurt my arm at one point. But after cooling down for about a minute or so I was able to get right back to headbanging and fist pumping.)

Obituary (For some reason I've never really been able to get into Obituary that much. I get easily bored with their songs and the production on their earlier albums kind of ruins the songs for me. But they sounded much better live than on their studio albums to me. I enjoyed seeing "Final Thoughts" and "Evil Ways" as those are a couple favorites of mine out of their overall material.)

Morbid Angel (Finally I was able to see one of my favorite Death Metal bands and they did not disappoint. I had been listening to their 2009 set ever since I got the waitlist confirmation email on Monday so I was well prepared for their set since they played every song off of it. I was able to push my way to the front little by little during Obituary so that I was within 2 people of the railing, and that's the closest I've ever been at a big show. I was in front of Dave the whole time. When they opened with Rapture I went insane. Covenant is my favorite album by them so I was glad to see that they played so much from it. Also I got really excited when Dave said they were going to play a few songs off the new album but it turns out he was just joking. Nevermore sounded great though. And I knew the song as I had listened to their 2008 Hellfest performance of it dozens of times. Tim Yeung did a great job filling in for Pete. I've always liked Tim Yeung's work so I was pleased to hear that he would be filling in for Pete while he recovers. The only bad thing about Morbid Angel's set was that they messed up God of Emptiness. That totally ruined the vibe of that song for me, but aside from that I couldn't have asked for anything better from them. They're in my top 5 bands seen along with Slayer, Megadeth, Behemoth and Suffocation)

Now for some random comments about the show:

-It looks like my friend and I really made a mistake going to Juan Pollo instead of checking out the Grill 'Em All truck. We had to go back to his car to put some stuff away and while walking back to the Festival Grounds we decided to duck in to Juan Pollo real quick to grab some food. But after reading the posts here about Grill 'Em All it sounds like we missed out on some quality grub.

-I hate metalheads with long hair that are my height! The guy right in front of me during Morbid Angel had long hair and he was about my height, and he kept swinging his hair right into my face and eyes. Whenever he started headbanging I would have to close my eyes to brace for the impact.

-I was rather unimpressed with the response the bands were getting at the Glass House. I had seen Suffocation there in October last year and the crowd was dead. The turnout was very discouraging. The turnout for this was much better of course. The place was packed, but the crowd still seemed rather unenthusiastic. My friend said the same for Death Angel. I didn't see Municipal Waste and neither did my friend, so maybe the crowd response was better for them. It certainly looks like it was with that Wall of Death video.

-My friend had to wait for me to get out of the Fox Theater as he didn't get in. He wanted to see Death Angel over Obituary and I went to the Fox Theater immediately after Immolation finished because I didn't want to risk not getting in. I originally planned to watch Death Angel for half their set and then duck in for the rest of Obituary but I didn't want to put anything to chance and we had already seen Death Angel at the Chain Reaction recently.
So when Death Angel finished my friend headed over to the Fox Theater and waited in line until 10:40 when they announced they were no longer letting people in. He was thoroughly pissed. But he is not into MA nearly as much as I am.

-The will call line at first looked like it was going to take a very long time but it moved rather quickly for how long it was.

I had such a great time at this show and if they ever bring this festival back to Southern Cali I'll be there. And thanks to treghet for recommending this forum.

Tags
anaal nathrakh, atheist, death angel, immolation, morbid angel, municipal waste, nails, obituary, primate