Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 AM
N00B

Metallica -- Newcastle, England -- March 3rd, 2008

Thought I'd tell you guys about my first Metallica exprience.

So anyway, I've always been a die-hard Metallica fan, and it was 13 years since they last played in Newcastle, England. But finally, they finally announce their tour dates for the World Magnetic Tour and I see Newcastle on there. Instantly, I told my dad (Who is also a metallica fan) and he straight away got the tickets, damn he's awesome.

The day finally arrived to see one of my favourite bands for the first time, I came home from school (I was 16 at the time) full of excitment waiting for my dad to drive us to Newcastle. We found out that 'The Sword' and 'Machine head' were supporting, which was pretty cool, since I've always enjoyed Machine Head.

So we finally get there, get to our seats (Please don't get mad) and waited for The Sword to start. Within minutes, they finall come out and start playing. However, there was massive problems with the sound for the first 3 songs, but as soon as they sorted the problem out, they sounded great!. Fantastic riffs, great solo's etc. They were not that bad at all, still couldn't understand the vocals though due to the sound problems. Also, I couldn't find their set anyway, so sorry guys!

Next up was Machine Head, they hit the stage about 20 minutes after The Sword, and I know I might get hated for this, but they were very dissapointing. The whole set was just loud noises, the frontman on every song was just screaming 'I WANNA SEE SOME MOSH-PITS YOU MOTHERFUCKERSSSSSSSS!! ARRRGHHHHHH'. It's a shame, their drummer was good though, and I still do like most of Machine Head's material, but god they were horrible live.

Machine Head set:

Clenching the Fists of Dissent
Imperium
Halo
Beautiful Morning
Descent the Shades of Night
Davidian

After the awful-ness of Machine Head, my hero's Metallica finally hit the stage within 30 minutes. By now, the sound was pretty much spot-on, very clearly and very very loud. Also, what I loved about this tour, is that Metallica changed their setlist every single night, and not one was the same, so this had me guessing ever since we got the tickets 'Oh god what are they gonna play'. So after the full set of Metallica, we got quite a strange set, all the classics like Master of Puppets, Seek & Destroy, the usual's which are expected. However, we got NO SONGS OFF RIDE THE LIGHTNING, I mean comon, nothing of their best album which was quite heart-breaking, and only one song off Master of Puppets , However, they did play 3 songs off my favourite album (Justice) and 3 songs off the awesome Kill 'Em All which was a very nice suprise, and lots of Death Magnetic (meh), But as the tour progressed, they started playing less Magnetic and more old shit, which was a shame for us . They also played one of my all time favourites, 'Whiplash' which was a hell of a blast.

Also what pissed me off was the people around me, this couple were sitting down through-out the whole setlist.. I mean, seriously what the fuck, you don't come to a Metallica gig and sit the fuck down. But apart from these slight complaints and a rather unusal setlist, it was still one hell of a night, and I can't wait to see Metallica again during sonisphere!

Metallica set:

That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
Harvester of Sorrow
No Remorse
One
Broken, Beaten & Scarred
Cyanide
Sad But True
No Leaf Clover
The Judas Kiss
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

*Encore*

Killing Time
Whiplash
Seek & Destroy

Last edited by TheClairvoyant; 02-21-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Yeah that's a pretty mediocre set. No Lightning tunes? That's fucking garbage. Hopefully your next Metallica experience comes with a better set.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Yeah that's a pretty mediocre set. No Lightning tunes? That's fucking garbage. Hopefully your next Metallica experience comes with a better set.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it will be, seeing them in Sonipshere England, they usually play a shit load of old tunes during festivals.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

The Sword is the best band on that bill :3
Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Solid set, but yes I agree it's BS there's nothing from Ride. I love how they switch up 7-9 songs in almost every show since 2004. That's why I get irritated when people bitch about Metallica's setlist. Yeah, some aren't the best, but at least they switch up their sets.

One of the shows I saw them in '09, they played 7 songs from DM. The next one I saw: only 3. That shows it

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)

Tags
machine head, metallica, the sword