Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014
Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Sleepwell Deconstructor

Dragged Into Sunlight- Hatred for Mankind

Hatred for Mankind is the first album I've heard this year that has really impressed me. It is heavy as all fuck and you can really see some of their influences all over the place. They do a really superb job of switching between awesome doomy riffs to fast paced crusty death metal and injecting a good sense of dynamics. This band is defintely evil as hell and you can see shades of Incantation, Eyehategod and Napalm Death all over the place. The two songs that really stand out to me are Lashed to the Grinder and Stoned to Death and Volcanic Birth.

This is an awesome record and even though its a reissue a great way to start the year! 8.5/10.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

I have this one dl'd, but I thought it came out a while ago...

Did it get a US release in '11?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:50 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post

Quit trying so hard, dude. It's obvious you just want to hear this so you can tell us all how good it is even though it's hard to find.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Quit trying so hard, dude. It's obvious you just want to hear this so you can tell us all how good it is even though it's hard to find.

Don't forget that I hate it but pretend to like it.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Finally wrote a review for this. I only write reviews for albums that I actually have something unique to say about, and I felt like I did for this.

---------------

Hatred for Mankind, the title of Dragged Into Sunlight’s first full-length album, is fitting: the hate-filled atmosphere seems to fuel a misanthropic passion, of which the music reflects. Yet this record could just as easily be called Heart of Darkness.

Dragged Into Sunlight play some extremely pissed off death-doom. Normally, I don’t listen to death-doom, for it just too brutal to the ears. Doom metal typically bores and/or depresses me; combine it with death metal and it scares me. Dragged Into Sunlight is different, though: on a primal level, they fuckin’ terrify me. Make no mistake, this type of metal is not fun to listen to. But again, Dragged Into Sunlight is different. As far as misanthropic death-doom goes, this is fun to listen to. Listen to the impromptu solos in “Buried With Leeches” and “Volcanic Birth” and you’ll see that Dragged Into Sunlight don’t only know how to make a record bursting with emotion, they can actually write some pretty damn good songs. No shit, they actually have some really good riffs. They even break up the monotony with some thrashy and grindy passages. On the other hand, the vocals are entirely incomprehensible, and, honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I hate to be cliche-sounding but, honestly, the only reasonable explanation for this phenomenon is that Dragged Into Sunlight have soul. They have a point to make, and they’re not gonna fuck around. This band is legitimately fucking angry. Either that, or they’re very good at pretending.

Pay close attention to the samples (of which there are many), read the lyrics, or even simply glance at the artwork, and you may catch a glimpse at what the band is trying to accomplish here. If you’ve ever read Heart of Darkness, you remember Marlow’s final epiphany, that man’s soul is full of evil, and that the evil is everywhere. The fact that there are people who are capable of making the type of music that only Dragged Into Sunlight can just proves that theme. Music like this just isn’t natural. Most people don’t wake up one day and decide to make a death-doom record, much less a Dragged Into Sunlight record. For these guys to have even attempted to make such a record, they must have ventured into the Congo.

To sum this review up: Conrad would be mighty proud.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Prince shouldn't have been banned. Waaaay too entertaining.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
Finally wrote a review for this. I only write reviews for albums that I actually have something unique to say about, and I felt like I did for this.

---------------

Hatred for Mankind, the title of Dragged Into Sunlight’s first full-length album, is fitting: the hate-filled atmosphere seems to fuel a misanthropic passion, of which the music reflects. Yet this record could just as easily be called Heart of Darkness.

Dragged Into Sunlight play some extremely pissed off death-doom. Normally, I don’t listen to death-doom, for it just too brutal to the ears. Doom metal typically bores and/or depresses me; combine it with death metal and it scares me. Dragged Into Sunlight is different, though: on a primal level, they fuckin’ terrify me. Make no mistake, this type of metal is not fun to listen to. But again, Dragged Into Sunlight is different. As far as misanthropic death-doom goes, this is fun to listen to. Listen to the impromptu solos in “Buried With Leeches” and “Volcanic Birth” and you’ll see that Dragged Into Sunlight don’t only know how to make a record bursting with emotion, they can actually write some pretty damn good songs. No shit, they actually have some really good riffs. They even break up the monotony with some thrashy and grindy passages. On the other hand, the vocals are entirely incomprehensible, and, honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I hate to be cliche-sounding but, honestly, the only reasonable explanation for this phenomenon is that Dragged Into Sunlight have soul. They have a point to make, and they’re not gonna fuck around. This band is legitimately fucking angry. Either that, or they’re very good at pretending.

Pay close attention to the samples (of which there are many), read the lyrics, or even simply glance at the artwork, and you may catch a glimpse at what the band is trying to accomplish here. If you’ve ever read Heart of Darkness, you remember Marlow’s final epiphany, that man’s soul is full of evil, and that the evil is everywhere. The fact that there are people who are capable of making the type of music that only Dragged Into Sunlight can just proves that theme. Music like this just isn’t natural. Most people don’t wake up one day and decide to make a death-doom record, much less a Dragged Into Sunlight record. For these guys to have even attempted to make such a record, they must have ventured into the Congo.

To sum this review up: Conrad would be mighty proud.
Goddamn I've got to listen to this.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post

I just read it was reissued on Prosthetic last month.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
I just read it was reissued on Prosthetic last month.
Yeah, I ordered it from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Goddamn I've got to listen to this.
Success!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:46 PM
That Guy

I've yet to check this out. I will do so tonight.