Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-27-2010, 02:25 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I'm in love with both albums even if I prefer Alcest's by a decent amount, but I have no idea how it occurred to you to compare them. They sound nothing alike and have basically polar opposite atmospheres.
I asked my friend what cd's he thought were underrated this year and he said Man's Gin, Red Sparowes & Alcest. I started laughing and informed him that there is little chance Alcest hits any "underrated" lists this year. I know it's been hyped beyond belief since April to me personally but he didn't get into it until September so that made a little more sense. Actually all 3 of those would make my Top 30 but probably in that order. I just really like Man's Gin more than I expected.

Ironically he had never heard of Cobalt and I turned him onto them last year only to have the favor returned with Man's Gin. If it wasn't for him I doubt I would have even heard the cd or known it was conencted to Cobalt in any way. I wonder how many people who loved Cobalt even know about Man's Gin. Do you agree with the Jar of Flies analogy?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:15 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I asked my friend what cd's he thought were underrated this year and he said Man's Gin, Red Sparowes & Alcest. I started laughing and informed him that there is little chance Alcest hits any "underrated" lists this year. I know it's been hyped beyond belief since April to me personally but he didn't get into it until September so that made a little more sense. Actually all 3 of those would make my Top 30 but probably in that order. I just really like Man's Gin more than I expected.

Ironically he had never heard of Cobalt and I turned him onto them last year only to have the favor returned with Man's Gin. If it wasn't for him I doubt I would have even heard the cd or known it was conencted to Cobalt in any way. I wonder how many people who loved Cobalt even know about Man's Gin. Do you agree with the Jar of Flies analogy?
Yeah, I honestly hadn't thought of that before but that's a perfect description. It has the same oppressive feel as the heavy Cobalt stuff but through an acoustic lens, which is basically exactly what AIC did on Jar of Flies. Good call dude.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Headbanger

You can add Black Breath - Heavy Breathing to this list. I own their EP Razor to Oblivion from a few years ago and liked it but never heard anything about them doing anything else. One of the gems I stumbled upon looking at other lists was Black Breath's 2010 cd Heavy Breathing. Man I like these guys. This cd picks up right where the EP left off. There is some filler in the 2nd half of the cd but this is still a very entertaining cd that has somehow flown under the radar.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
17) Aeon - Path of Fire
Good fucking call. I didn't notice this one on the list before. Stay tuned to my year-end thread to see where it ends up (along with several others you've mentioned thus far...).

I would even go so far as to say that "Path of Fire" was this year's "Those Whom the Gods Detest". (Yes, it's that fucking good,)
Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Good fucking call. I didn't notice this one on the list before. Stay tuned to my year-end thread to see where it ends up (along with several others you've mentioned thus far...).

I would even go so far as to say that "Path of Fire" was this year's "Those Whom the Gods Detest". (Yes, it's that fucking good,)
Nice. I'm starting to think it's more underrated than I 1st thought. I haven't seen it anywhere except our lists I think.

Last edited by jhdeity; 01-09-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:39 PM
...the dead are among us!

I'd like to throw The Epigenesis by Melechesh onto this list:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSz-NNnKkM
8/30 - Morbid Saint / Vektor
Old 01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post

I can buy that. I remember listening to Melechesh and Orphaned Land around the same time and even though Orphaned Land was receiving all the accolades I like Melechesh better personally.
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post

Melechesh is indeed amazing. Glad to know other people here appreciate them.
Personally I liked Emissaries better, but The Epigenesis was still great. It got my #6 position this year.