Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Hey, I voted for a rap album. Granted, no one else here had heard of it...
I know Diabolic, I just didn't listen to the record. He is a great rapper.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Hey, I voted for a rap album. Granted, no one else here had heard of it...
This is the first year I can remember for a long time where my top ten didn't contain at least one non-metal album.

Although I've never had something as diverse as rap or dance or anything in mine. If it's not metal it's more than likely acoustic or blues or something. Last year I had The Black Crowes at #2, for instance.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Oh, and yay for IntrOnaut! It's about time they got some love on here.

Likewise for Triptykon (although that's not really surprising), Watain, The Sword, Atheist and Immolation (although Aeon's latest album was better ).

Some of you guys are really missing out on some dandies, though - for example, The Ocean, Lair of the Minotaur and Kvelertak. Especially for those last two - I don't see how a metal fan could not like those albums on some level...they are just so damned awesome (and fun!).

...and too bad for Kylesa. Their new album doesn't hit the bullseye as directly as Static Tensions did, but it really is a grower and worthy of some big love. I think they'll get snubbed a ton this year - not just on here but by critics in general - because people's expectations got all jacked up due to Static Tensions.

...and BTW, if you liked Watain, you may also want to check out Lightning Swords of Death. If you liked The Sword, you should definitely check out Karma to Burn. If you liked Atheist, the new Decrepit Birth is quite good as well. Finally, if you liked Immolation...well, you already know what you need to do there.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Oh, and yay for IntrOnaut! It's about time they got some love on here.

Likewise for Triptykon (although that's not really surprising), Watain, The Sword, Atheist and Immolation (although Aeon's latest album was better ).

Some of you guys are really missing out on some dandies, though - for example, The Ocean, Lair of the Minotaur and Kvelertak. Especially for those last two - I don't see how a metal fan could not like those albums on some level...they are just so damned awesome (and fun!).

...and too bad for Kylesa. Their new album doesn't hit the bullseye as directly as Static Tensions did, but it really is a grower and worthy of some big love. I think they'll get snubbed a ton this year - not just on here but by critics in general - because people's expectations got all jacked up due to Static Tensions.

...and BTW, if you liked Watain, you may also want to check out Lightning Swords of Death. If you liked The Sword, you should definitely check out Karma to Burn. If you liked Atheist, the new Decrepit Birth is quite good as well. Finally, if you liked Immolation...well, you already know what you need to do there.
I was quite excited to see Intronaut make the top 20 as well, Valley Of Smoke is one hell of a record, Likewise with The Sword. The record that made the top 20 that excited me the most was Dillinger Escape Plan, that was my number 1 and I really didn't expect them to make the top 20.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 AM
...the dead are among us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
The Ocean, Lair of the Minotaur and Kvelertak
I picked these three up in the last few weeks and am pretty sure that with more time The Ocean and Kvelertak would have made my top 10.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Altars of Radness

I think the list is pretty good, although I don't think The Final Frontier is worthy of being #1.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:16 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Seeing this list makes me realize that I am sort of an outsider here, in that I'm not an Iron Maiden fanatic.

Maiden won this year for the same reason Slayer got 2nd last year. That's it, really.

BTW, I only have one album on my top ten common to this one, and a couple honorable mentions I think Am I the only person who voted for Woe?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
This board is a fuckton less divided than it used to be. It's starting to be more of a centralized group of people with a few outliers, rather than just a whole bunch of cliques.
Well said. I just think there is less hating overall and people respect each others opinions even if they don't always agree.

I'll admit I enjoy a healthy debate every now and have never bagged on a band I didn't at least give a few listens to. Bands like Ludicra, The Ocean & Alcest came so highly recommended from so many people that I was sure I'd like them. They just didn't click for me. On the other hand bands like Bison BC, Black Breath, Hellish Crossfire & Aeon were barely mentioned or recommended to me and blew me away.

Some bands just made such bad 1st impressions on me that I didn't give them a fair chance. Had the song Alley Cat not been my 1st exposure to Seventh Wonder I probably would have liked that cd much more. I'm trying to judge cd's as a work of art and 1 terrible song is worse than 2 average filler songs to me.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
Seeing this list makes me realize that I am sort of an outsider here, in that I'm not an Iron Maiden fanatic.

Maiden won this year for the same reason Slayer got 2nd last year. That's it, really.

BTW, I only have one album on my top ten common to this one, and a couple honorable mentions I think Am I the only person who voted for Woe?
Me either.

And yes. Don't worry though, I was the only person to vote for most of my top 10

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Me either.

And yes. Don't worry though, I was the only person to vote for most of my top 10
I tried to talk myself out of voting for Bison BC because I knew they had no shot but the more I listened to it, the more I liked it. Funny how that happens.

I'm still surprised a band like Sodom who is worshipped in the metal community can put out their best cd since M16 and no one notice. Sodom cd's have always been impossible to find in America though...