Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_jman View Post
Hey Maiden33, maybe you can help me with this. I am starting to really like some power /prog metal, the problem is like 90% of the singers are like really high tenors. That's one of the reasons I like a lot of blind guardian cause he doesn't always sing so high. Can you recommend any prog/power bands that have more of a beratone range vocalist? does any exist?
Astral Doors
Lions Share
Symphorce
Brainstorm
Divided Multitude
Symphony X
Masterplan
Prymary
Innerwish
Circle II Circle

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 01-04-2011, 11:34 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Astral Doors
Lions Share
Symphorce
Brainstorm
Divided Multitude
Symphony X
Masterplan
Prymary
Innerwish
Circle II Circle
Yes, these, plus here's a few others:
Circus Maximus (guy has a big range, but has a really amazing low register he uses a lot on ballads and stuff)
Kamelot (Khan is pretty much the poster child for a power metal vocalist with a low(er) range)
Iron Savior
Wuthering Heights (Same vocalist as Astral Doors/Lion's Share)

More progressive metal bands that have lower-range vocalists:
Evergrey (Tom S. Englund is one of my favorite singers period)
Later Fates Warning/Redemption (Ray Alder )

and Circle II Circle also translates to Zak Stevens-fronted Savatage

Oh, and you might want to try Sinner. It's more hard rock-ish stuff, but Mat Sinner has a pretty low voice.

Also the new Avantasia albums have a lot of deeper vocalists for a power metal album, and Tobias Sammet's vocal range is deepening over time.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
things are more than just what you see

Thanks guys, so much. I'll check some of these out.

9/21: Uproar Festival
Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Headbanger

Evergrey has always been my favorite power/prog band since I met those guys at Foundations Forum way back in the day. I think they're the perfect "crossover" band to get people into P/P. 2nd on my list would be Symphony X and 3rd would be my friends old band Mystic Force. If you can get hold of a copy of their cd Man vs. Machine, it's a cd that was years ahead if it's time.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:06 PM
In Search of Truth

And here's the top 10:
10.Allen/Lande - the Showdown
Favorite Songs: The Showdown, The Guardian, We Will Rise Again
Well, it's a Magnus Karlsson album, that much is obvious. I actually was surprised by how fresh this album sounds and feels. The hooks are as present as ever, and the heaviness is perfectly executed when needed. Of course both vocalists perform outstandingly, but Jorn's solo songs outshine Russell's.

09.Creation's End - A New Beginning
Favorite Songs: Forsaken, World Holocaust, Of Shadow and Flame
Definitely the "Debut Album of 2010". So much talent is on display here, from the amazing vocals of Mike Dimeo to the outstanding shredding of Marco Sfogli, to the fantastic songwriting and surprising progressive elements. This album is crushingly heavy yet manages to stay very interesting and very melodic when it wants to be. Another definite "grower". This really blew me away.

08.Wuthering Heights - Salt
Favorite Songs: The Desperate Poet, Weather the Storm, Lost at Sea
Wuthering Heights dish out an outstanding batch of Prog/Power tunes with a great folky/piratey overtone. Nils Patrik Johansson's weird voice is at its very best here, and I think overall this is probably the group's strongest effort to date.

07.Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Favorite Songs: Starblind, The Talisman, The Alchemist
Well, a new Iron Maiden album is always an interesting topic of discussion. To keep it short, I think this is less consistent than it's predecessor, A Matter of Life and Death, as it has a couple of tracks I'm not in love with. That being said, my hat is off to the band for really breaking the mold of the previous reunion albums, and turning in more fast, upbeat, shorter numbers than they have in years.

06.DGM - Synthesis
Favorite songs: Just Like Before, Dreamland, Is Hell Without Love?

I normally wouldn't consider this eligible for this list, but according to the top 10 voting thread's rules, any full-length release of new studio recordings is eligible, so even though this is 80% of re-recordings, I can include it. Man does it deliver. DGM has undergone some lineup changes in the last 3-4 years so they decided to rerecord a lot of older material with the current lineup, in addition to including 2 brand new songs. The whole band is on fire, and this disc absolutely rules from start to finish. If anyone has ever wanted to check this band out, do it with this.

05.Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied II
Favorite Songs: A Paiting on the Wall, The Shooting Star
A comeback like this is pretty miraculous. Labyrinth's previous album, "6 Days to Nowhere" sucked, pretty hard, too. And they managed to not only return fully to their classic sound/style, but make an album that quite honestly might be their best one yet.

04.Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape

Favorite Songs: King of Whitewater, The Great Escape, Move on Through
One of the most anticipated Progressive Metal releases in recent years, and it did not disappoint. Every part of this album rules - every note, every phrase... it's just perfect. But then again, the last 1 or 2 Seventh Wonder discs were the exact same way, so I should not be surprised. Also, this band is now finally on the way to getting the respect they deserve.

03.Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Favorite Songs: Sacred Worlds, A Voice in the Dark, Wheel of Time
Blind Guardian are without a doubt one of the most respected names in the Power Metal genre, and they proved their mettle once again with this album, far surpassing its predecessor, "A Twist in the Myth". An almost perfect crossroads of all facets of their styles throughout the years. Great symphonic elements, acoustic elements, and absolute thrashy heaviness.

02.Silent Call - Greed
Favorite Songs: I Am My Nation, Every Day, Dream Tomorrow, The Wages of Greed
Just about every possible flaw with their impressive debut "Creations From a Chosen Path" has been corrected here, and Silent Call have established that they are a Progressive Metal force to be reckoned with. Amazing songwriting and stellar vocals from Andi Kravljaka. The sky is the limit for these guys.

01.Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
Favorite Songs: The Wicked Symphony, Runaway Train, States of Matter
I fucking love Avantasia, this is pretty common knowledge to most people who know me. I think Tobias Sammet's songwriting these days is the ultimate combination of instant satisfaction through catchy melodies and lovable staying power. Most of these songs have already become part of my musical make-up. I don't look at them as "new songs", they're just songs I love. I continue to sing the praises of Tobi's Scarecrow saga, and this is probably my favorite of all 3 albums within it. The vocal performances are

Last edited by Maiden33; 01-04-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Figured I would throw it out there, that I aint no power metal fan, but from this thread I have discovered Myrath, an epic band, and Avantasia's Scarecrow saga, which is also epic. Thank you Maiden33, think this is one of the few times myself and yourself will get along on this board haha!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
In Search of Truth

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments, glad to know people are getting some stuff out of this list.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Concert Veteran

Great review of the new Seventh Wonder. They were another new band for me last year and they're my favorite new discovery is quite a long time. I heard a song from Creation's End a month or so ago and I liked it so I think i'll give the album a try.