Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 PM
In Search of Truth

Maiden33's 2010 Thread

I wasn't gonna do it, I was hell-bent on not posting it because I figured no one cared and the board didn't need more, but like EVERYONE is doing it at this point, so why not. Not planning on doing any little awards or other lists, just my top 30 albums, with very short write-ups. I'm gonna start with albums 30-21.

30.Y&T - Facemelter

Favorite Songs: I'm Coming Home, On With the Show, Blind Patriot
A pretty solid comeback album. Dave Meniketti still plays his ass off on every song, and there's a couple of real gems here. Sadly there's definitely a couple of absolute duds that are full of bad 80s hard rock cliches. This album would've been outstanding if they would've made it like 3 songs shorter.

29.Ken's Dojo - Reincarnation
Favorite Songs: Forever, Set This Angel Free, Keeping the Flame Alive
A bit of a random selection, as I'm sure most people reading this have no idea what this is. All you need to know is that Michael Eriksen (Circus Maximus), Nils K. Rue (Pagan's Mind), and Glenn Hughes all did guest vocals on this CD. A bit inconsistent, but when a few absolute dynamite tracks that I love.

28.James Labrie - Static Impulse
Favorite Songs: One More Time, Jekyll and Hyde, Mislead
Certainly the oddball of my list. When I heard "One More Time" the first time, I hated it. I'm admittedly not a fan of of growling, and this CD took a good while to grow on me. But when I put my predispositions aside, I really enjoy the majority of this disc, growls and all. I think it's pretty well done for what it is, and in the right mood, I love it.

27.Firewind - Days of Defiance
Favorite Songs: The Ark of Lies, Kill in the Name of Love, World on Fire
I have to confess I think this seems kinda phoned in by the standards of what I expect from Firewind. There's a couple of real gems here as good as anything they've done before, but definitely a number of obvious filler tracks. It's good, but it's not great.

26.Masterplan - Time to Be King
Favorite Songs: Fiddle of Time, The Dark Road, Far From the End of the World
Sadly, this was a bit of a disappointment to me. Jorn Lande's return seemed to promise something a bit more monumental than this. Definitely a number of fantastic tracks, and I absolutely love Masterplan being exactly what they are - but I think this album is like 1 or 2 amazing tracks shy of measuring up to what I expected.

25.Tarot - Gravity of Light
Favorite Songs: Rise!, Gone, I Walk Forever
This was actually my introduction to this fairly old band. I actually really enjoy Marco Heitela's vocals, and this disc overall really impressed me. I could do without some of the more plodding-type tracks, but I really enjoy the majority of this album.

24.Royal Hunt - X
Favorite Songs: The Well, King For a Day, Shadowman
This was Royal Hunt's attempt at a bit of a 70's throwback album, and overall they achieved that, though it's still undeniably Royal Hunt. Collision Course was a top 3 CD of 2008 for me, so overall this IS a disappointment, but Royal Hunt hardly ever actually disappoints, and Mark Boals has assimilated to this band perfectly.

23.Star One - Victims of the Modern Age
Favorite Songs: Digital Rain, Earth That Was, Human See-Human Do
Arjen Luccassen delivers a fairly typical Arjen Lucassen album. Star One is actually my favorite of all of his efforts, though I think overall this falls a hair short of the debut, "Space Metal". There's a couple of unbelievably great tracks on this, but the album as a whole falls a tad short of my expectations.

22.Anthriel - The Pathway
Favorite Songs: Haven of Grace, Dark Divided Minds, Chains of the Past
An upstart Progressive Metal band from Finland, very much in the style of Symphony X. Songwriting is kinda sketchy at times but overall a great debut with tons of potential.

21.SoulSpell - The Labyrinth of Truths

Favorite Songs: Into the Arc of Time, Adrift, Amon's Fountain
Pretty great Metal Opera-style effort with some really sweet guest appearances from Zak Stevens/Jon Oliva (Savatage), Iuri Sanson (Hibria), and Renato Tribuzy. Also features some really fantastic female vocals.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 PM
That Guy

I've actually really been wating on your list.

So far, so good.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I've actually really been wating on your list.

So far, so good.
Same here. I knew it would have a lot of stuff I hadn't heard of, so I was looking forward to learning about some new music.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

I'll listen to the whole of the top ten.

I'm not quite into the whole power/prog stuff, but I'll give it a whirl.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 PM
In Search of Truth

20.Triosphere - The Road Less Traveled
Favorite Songs: Twenty One, Driven, The Human Condition
Definitely my favorite CD of 2010 by a female-fronted band. This is absolutely fantastic Melodic Metal with some great Progressive touches. Ida Haukland sounds very comparable to Doro Pesch, meaning a female vocalist that actually brings it. I really, really enjoy this disc.

19.Accept - Blood of the Nations
Favorite Songs: Teutonic Terror, The Abyss, No Shelter
A comeback that almost no one thought was possible. There are people out there who won't even give this a shot because of no UDO, but they are missing out on one of the best "True Metal" albums in the past several years.

18.Darkwater - Where Stories End
Favorite Songs: A Fools Utopia, Without a Sound, In the Blink of an Eye
Darkwater's second effort is making them a bit of a force to be reckoned with in the blossoming genre of Melodic Prog Metal (see: Seventh Wonder, Circus Maximus). Great hooks, great songwriting, great playing. Overall a really strong album.

17.White Wizzard - Over the Top
Favorite Songs: 40 Deuces, Over the Top, Out of Control
An incredible 80s metal throwback that stylistically is like a marriage of Iron Maiden circa 1984 and Riot circa 1988. Any fan of classic metal should absolutely love this. It's in your face and unapologetically kick-ass.

16.Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
Favorite Songs: Book of Life, Newborn Tomorrow, Dust to Dust
About the very best that relatively generic Power/Speed metal can be. Features Blind Guardian drummer Fredrik Ehmke.

15.Powerworld - Human Parasite
Favorite Songs: Cleansed By Fire, Time Will Change
I actually haven't heard their debut album, and really only checked this out because of the involvement of ex-Threshold vocalist Andrew "Mac" McDermont. I'm very glad I did though, as it's some outstanding stuff. Overall, just fantastically executed Melodic Metal. Great catchy songs. Enough said.

14.Myrath - Desert Call
Favorite Songs: No Turning Back, Empty World, Tempests of Sorrow
Outstanding Progressive Metal from Tunisia. This band has an absolutely brilliant sound which perfectly marries Arabic musical elements with absolutely fantastic Progressive Metal. I think the vocalist takes a little while to get used to, but aside from that, an absolutely outstanding CD from start to finish.

13.Dreyelands - Rooms of Revelation
Favorite Songs: Room 6: Blossoms of Decay, Room 7: Vain, Room 5: Way to You
A great Progressive Metal debut album. If this band continues to expand on this, they will become frighteningly great. The vocals remind me a lot of Mats Leven, which is a very good thing. Great playing, great melodies, but the songwriting could use a little work I think. Nevertheless, as I said, it's an incredible debut album.

12.Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
Favorite Songs: Stargazers, Journey to Arcadia, Death is Just a Feeling
The lesser of the two 2010 Avantasia discs, this definitely has its share of outstanding tracks and performances. However, it sadly has a couple of obvious filler tracks, that weigh down the overall album even though I keep coming back to it for what I love about it.

11.Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
Favorite Songs: The Final Murder, Rush of Silence
Even at #10, this album was a slight disappointment, as Christ 0 is my favorite Vanden Plas record. The focus is more on the overall big picture, and less on the individual songs. Nevertheless, it is a Vanden Plas album, and a fantastic one at that. Definitely will grow on you with repeated listens.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Headbanger

Very cool write-ups. I didn't know Myrath was from Tunisia. That helps explain their unique sound.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
12.Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
Favorite Songs: Stargazers, Journey to Arcadia, Death is Just a Feeling
The lesser of the two 2010 Avantasia discs, this definitely has its share of outstanding tracks and performances. However, it sadly has a couple of obvious filler tracks, that weigh down the overall album even though I keep coming back to it for what I love about it.
Those are my favorite songs on the album to. I also, like the title track, Alone I Remember and Promised Land a lot to. This album isn't as good as The Wicked Symphony but it's still pretty solid with some very good tracks.

Avantasia was one of my new discoveries last year and i've been enjoying their stuff quite a bit over the last two months. I'm really glad I took a chance on them.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I like this thread because, while I'm not into most of these bands, it's very different from most of the other review threads.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Nice, two of my own top 20 in there already.

If the final batch doesn't include Empires of Eden then something's wrong, though

Plus, Divided Multitude's album was better than most of those

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 AM
things are more than just what you see

Hey Maiden33, maybe you can help me with this. I am starting to really like some power /prog metal, the problem is like 90% of the singers are like really high tenors. That's one of the reasons I like a lot of blind guardian cause he doesn't always sing so high. Can you recommend any prog/power bands that have more of a beratone range vocalist? does any exist?

9/21: Uproar Festival