Queen - Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 AM
We're dying on the inside

Yeah, those last three top five lists are some of the whiniest shit I've ever read.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Loganarchy's favorite albums of 2010, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Yeah, those last three top five lists are some of the whiniest shit I've ever read.
They're supposed to be negative. I'm sorry if they come off "whiny" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
You saw Slayer in a foreign country and it was your biggest disappointment along with another Slayer show and 2 Megadeth shows? And your best performance was 1 song by some underground band? I feel bad for you man.
Don't feel sorry for me. Seeing them in a foreign country was a killer experience, I just set my expectations for the performance too high.

Last edited by larvtard; 12-28-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:52 PM

And now I shall count down my ten favorite albums of the year!

10. Misery Index- Heirs to Thievery:

The first time I listened to this album, I was captivated. It combined death metal and grindcore but not as deathgrind. Rather, the two genres worked against each other. The final product had a very nice punk edge to it.

Several months later I decided to download this whole band's discography. It seemed that Heirs was their worst album! Even so, I hadn't listened to it in a while. A couple of months later I gave it another spin. It still sounded good, but something was wrong…I just couldn't put my finger on it. I kept listening to it and the 'something wrong' became more and more obvious, but I still didn't know what it was. Then, one day, my brother randomly commented how he hated the new Misery Index album because it had too many breakdowns.

Surprised, I realized he may be right. I gave it another listen, and discovered that he couldn't be more right. Most of their riffage was of the chug-chug variety, even when the band wasn't "breaking it down."

So why am I still including this album? Good question. Even I'm not completely sure, though I do have to say that Misery Index are damn good songwriters. A bunch of these songs are totally memorable, and not in the bad way, either. Anyways, I would especially recommend this album to those metal fans just beginning to like death metal.

Recommended songs: "Embracing Extinction," "Fed to the Wolves," "The Carion Call," "The Spectator," "You Lose"

9. Bison B.C.- Dark Ages:

Okay, so I'm not a huge sludge fan. I do like sludge that's different, though: the progressive sludge of Mastodon, the pshycadelic sludge of Kylesa, or in this case, the thrashy sludge of Vancouver 's very own Bison B.C.

This band differs from most of their contemporaries in that they have a much wider range of influences, and they wear them proudly. Furthermore, they have ample opportunity to display these influences, as most of the seven songs on this album are well over the five minute mark. I would have to say that the most significant influence in this album is thrash metal. Honestly, I am just amazed at the amount of thrash riffs on this record. In fact, the thrash works particularly well with the sludge. And their vocalist has some pretty awesome death growls. (that's right, death growls in sludge!)

I remember the first time I listened to this record in full, I immediately posted on the '2010 So Far' thread that it sounded exactly like Remission. Nat quickly corrected me, pointing out that while they did take some influence from Mastodon, they sounded far more like High on Fire, which I agreed with. Really, I think this just points to the amount of influence on this record. The best part, though, is that Dark Ages doesn't sound like a tribute album, nor does it a shameful ripoff. Bison B.C. integrates their influences into a kick-ass form of sludge metal that is by far the best thing on the market today.

Recommended songs: "Two-Day Booze," "Take the Next Exit," "Wendigo Pt. 3"

8. The Crown- Doomsday King:

I'm ashamed to admit that it was only on my fifth or so listen of this brilliant record that I noticed the similarities between The Crown and The Haunted. Obviously, they were both from Gothenberg; so what? Well, pretty much any band that comes from Gohenburg has that 'Gotheburg sound.' It was just much more subtle in Doomsday King, I guess.

This album is a raging death/thrash assault. First of all, the foundation of this record is thrash metal (particularly ripping thrash, at that). Layer on there some blastbeats and death growls and you got an album! Of course, this record has some killer death metal sections as well, but like I said, this is mostly thrash with some melodic death influence to boot. The songs do kind of blend in with each other, but there are some pretty memorable songs, too.

Recommended songs: title track, "Blood O.D.," "Desolation Domain," "Through the Eyes of Oblivion," "From the Ashes I Shall return," "To Light"

Last edited by larvtard; 12-28-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 PM

7. Black Breath- Heavy Breathing

Black Breath isn't like other Swedish death-influenced grind/hardcore (e.g. Trap Them, Nails, The Secret, Early Graves, etc.). First of all, there's no grind whatsoever- it's all hardcore. Second, while the other bands merely take influence from bands like Dismember and Entombed in their riffs, Black Breath clearly rip those bands off.

Here's Black Breath's songwriting strategy: lay down a nice d-beat hardcore song and then put some Entombed riffs in. On some of the songs like "I Am Beyond" and "Virus," the riffs are more subtle. The buzzsaw sound is present, but the band is merely riding the riff and for all intents and purposes, you're listening to a hardcore song. Then there's songs like "Black Sin (Spit on the Cross" and "Escape from Death" where the riffs are definitely not subtle and aside from the fact that the frontman is doing hardcore shouts and there's some d-beat drumming, you're listening to an Entombed song. No doubt about it.

Now, I'm sure I just made this band sound completely unoriginal. Well, fuck that. They may not be the most original band on the market, but the way that they are organizing their clever rip-off scheme is original. Plus, it's a fun record.

Recommended songs: "Black Sin," "Escape from Death," "Wewhocannotbenamed"

6. Melechesh- The Epigenesis

I'm not gonna lie, I don't really know how to describe this band's sound. Black metal? Sort of, but not exactly. Melodic black metal? A lot of people have said that, but I don't really see how. Then again, I don't really listen to melodic black metal.

Okay, so let's go with melodic black metal, then. Well, Melechesh is from the Middle East, and supposedly they have some folk influence. Well, aside from the two boring Nile-esque instrumental tracks, I don't really see the folk. But honestly, it's a shame that I don't know how to describe the sound of this album. It's sorta thrashy, I guess, and at times a bit death-metal-ish, too... And unlike most black metal, the production on this album is amazing. And that's not just in regards to other black metal- this album's production is actually really damn good

Look- just listen to it. Okay? At least to one song. Do me a favor, because I have no idea whatsoever how to describe these guys. NO! Fuck that- you'll be doing yourself a favor by listening to them

EDIT: I've got it. It's avant-garde black metal. When the foundation is clearly black metal, but it's a pretty big deviation from the standard black metal sound (e.g. Cobalt). That being said, however, I don't know of any other bands that sound quite like Melechesh. I think that's where the real problem lies...

Recommended songs: "Sacred Geometry," "The Magicians and The Drones," "Defeating the Giants," "Negative Theology"

5. Landmine Marathon- Sovereign Descent

This is another band whose sound I cannot describe very well. I'm gonna try to make this quick, though: modern-day death/grind with heavy Bolt Thrower influence and female vocals.

Anyways, this album is pretty awesome. It sounds like nothing else I've heard before (established above) and is just a maniacal assault on the ears. There's a bunch of different influences, too. Ironically, the two most popular songs on the album, "Exist" and "Shadows Fed To Tyrants," are by far the weakest in my opinion. In fact, the second half of the album is much, much better than the first half with the possible exception of the third song, "Cruel Policy." That song is simply amazing, probably one of my top five songs this year if I made a list (and maybe I should... )

Recommended songs: "Cruel Policy," "Justify The Suffering," "Steadfast Hate," "Chained by The Same Fate"

*I get a lot of albums from my brother's iTunes. Oftentimes, I think iTunes screws up the transfer process. Up until tonight, I was not aware that there were nine tracks on this album. So excuse me*

Last edited by larvtard; 12-28-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:32 PM

You're gonna have to forgive me guys, my review for album #3 is on my dad's laptop, so I'm only posting up #4 tonight. It should be a good one though, I doubt many of you have heard it.

4. haarp- The Filth

First things first. I HATE doom. Cannot fucking stand it one bit. Yet I simply adore this album. And, frankly, I have no idea why. I mean, from what I've read online, it's not even that original or anything.

These guys are from New Orleans. You may not know any of the members (I don't think their old projects were very well-known) but Phil Anselmo produced this bad boy and even released it himself on his own record label. It of course has the dirty NOLA sludge sound; that should be expected.

The songs here are mostly 8 minutes long a piece, and yes, they all sound the same. Yet they all sound awesome, so I can forgive the band this time There are enough fast parts to keep me interested, too. And from what I remember, the drumming is pretty sick.

Basically, this album sounds like you're being dragged through the swamps of Louisiana with a 50-foot cinder block on your back after being chained to a tree as the winds of Hurricane Katrina rip you apart limb from limb. In the best way possible, of course

--------

Now that I think about it, I'm gonna post up some of my honorable mentions. I think the traditional way is to post the honorable mentions after the entire list is posted, but fuck that, we're all nonconformist metalheads here

Cardiac Arrest- Haven for the Insane

nice slab of OSDM (old school death metal). All the songs sound the same and they're barely memorable, but the guitar tone is wicked.

Nails- Unsilent Death

awesome grind/hardcore in the vein of Trap Them, Early Graves, The Secret, etc. A bunch of sick Dismember riffs as well. Alas, this record is only 14 minutes so I can't in good conscience put it on my list.

Trash Talk- Eyes and Nines

Initially I avoided this band because I knew that a lot of people my age like them (I was 17 at the time). But that was a mistake. Look, there comes a time where we all have to admit that deathcore fans would probably like the music we listen to if they were introduced to it. They're just too lazy to seek it out.

Anyways, this is very tasty hardcore. Very fun record. Also, you know how most grind/hardcore bands these days usually have one song on their album that's just a doom song? It's like a obligatory tradition for them, it seems. Anyways, Trash Talk pull of one of the best doom songs I've heard from a grind/hardcore band (the best being Trap Them's "Mission Convincers," of course). You'll know when it you hear it.

Like Nails, I couldn't in good conscience put this record on my list because of the length. I feel particularly guilty about it, too. I've listened to this album about 20 times since this summer. The first time I listened, I knew it was going on my end-of-the-year list. I just knew it.

more honorable mentions coming up later.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:12 PM

Okay, some more honorable mentions:

Immolation- Majesty and Decay

As far as death metal, this isn't very accessible. Still, it's fairly enjoyable. The bass on "The Purge" is sick

Infanticide- From Our Cold, Dead Hands

This is actually one of my favorite grind releases of the year. It has the Swedish Grind sound but it's a lot more brutal. Still, I'm sure I've heard this before...

Ludicra
- The Tenant

Pretty avant-garde black metal. Very, very captivating. "The Truth Will Set You Free" is amazing.
Strangely enough, the style of this album is very similar to that of my #1 album.

Cancer Bats- Bears, Mayors, Scraps, and Bones

Man, what an album. I'm serious, this is some awesome hardcore/metal. As pissed off as it sounds, it has a carefree emotion to it, like its just going with the flow. It's heavy, but it's not brutal; it's fun. A fun record, for sure.

Masakari- The Prophet Feeds

Cancer Bats may have been carefree, but these guys are pissed off. This album is pretty sludgy as well. Very interesting album, pretty kickass hardcore.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:57 PM

And the last three:

3. Early Graves- Goner

Early Graves is not just another Entombed-influenced grind/hardcore band. Rather, they are one of the more original ones in the scene. Comparisons to Trap Them are inevitable; however, Early Graves offers something more. While Trap Them cuts right to the chase and wastes no time ripping peoples’ faces off with their furious brand of grindcore, Early Graves focuses on actually creating songs, songs that will lure you back again and again.

On top of the brutally vicious Dismember-gone-grind riffage, they throw on a plethora of crust and thrash riffs, to boot. There is not a lack of breakdowns here in Goner, but Early Graves do breakdowns right. You don’t think to yourself, “Godammit, they had to put a fucking breakdown here;” you probably don’t think anything. The breakdowns feel part of the song itself, not just a random thing thrown in for good measure. In black metal, the weak production is supposed to create a feeling of atmopshere; I cannot vouch for the fact that the weak production (the album is recorded in Mono) in Goner contributes anything. Still, it doesn’t take anything away from it.

Sadly, their frontman, Makh Daniels, died in a fatal car accident a few months ago. I can already hear the smart guys shouting in unison: “Zomg, their name is Early Graves! How ironic lolololololololol!!!!” But in all seriousness, this album does feel like Makh’s final goodbye. If you listen closely, you can really hear the agony in his yells, the agony of being so painfully aware of his own fleeting mortality. It is truly a shame that such an artist had to die so young; his potential was still so great, even on a fantastic album such as Goner. Mr. Daniels, you are a legend in my eyes.

Recommended tracks: Goner, Faith is Shit, Give Up...and pretty much everything else, to be honest.

2. High on Fire- Snakes For the Divine
I’ve had quite a history with this album. High on Fire has been one of my favorite bands for a while, so when this album started streaming on Myspace, I chose to ignore it. The Tuesday it came out, I drove over to Best Buy after school. In fact, I did this the next three days (it never occurred to me to just call them to see if they had the CD in stock). I finally got it the next weekend at the mall.

The first time I listened, I thought it was decent. Yet it began to grow on me, and soon enough, I started to love it. But then I took a long break from this album, and during the absence, I began convinced, for whatever reason, that this album sucked.

The next time I gave this album a spin, I realized that I still did love it. However, after this, every time I played this album I changed my mind on it. One time I loved it, one time I hated it; one time I just sorta liked it, one time I thought it pretty unremarkable. And so it goes.

Even so, I remain in love with the first two tracks. The eight-minute title track begins with one of the most bonerrific riffs ever created in my honest opinion, and then transitions into an epic stoner-doom anthem, courtesy of Matt Pike himself. “Frost Hammer” is a mini-epic, wedged into a mere six minutes. I was first introduced to this song on the Mastodon/Dethklok tour. It is a great song indeed. The psychedelic vocals are awesome, too.

The rest of the album ranges from decent to very good. “How Dark We Pray” is a doomy motherfucker. “Bastard Samuari” also starts out doomy but speeds up near the end. In contrast, “Fire, Flood, and Plague” and “Ghost Neck” are fun, but kinda lame too. I can’t explain it.

In my experience, most people hate this album. There are people out there who like it, but I don’t think there’s many people out there that absolutely love it, either. One of the biggest complaints is the production, courtesy of the mastermind behind Death Magnetic, Greg Fidelman. I’m not very adept to production, but I do kinda notice some things about this album. At times, it lacks oomph. Also, the volume randomly changes a bunch of times. WTF is up with that?

The other complaint is that Matt Pike is running out of ideas. That I definitely do not agree with. This album is probably the most creative and diverse HOF albums I've heard.

Anyways, I do enjoy this album very much. At times I do feel ashamed of liking it so much, especially because my brother and my best friend hate it so passionately. Still, I would probably rank it right behind Death is This Communion.

Recommended tracks: title track, Frost Hammer, Bastard Samurai, How Dark We Pray, The Path

1. Woe- Quietly, Undramatically

To this day it simply amazes me how someone like myself, who pretty much hates black metal, can love this particular black metal album, yet be completely opposed to other albums of the genre (and trust me, I've heard a LOT of black metal albums this year). I mean, it’s not that original. Honestly, I guess Woe just speaks to me in a weird way.

Being as I’m not a huge black metal fan, I doubt I can describe this album very well. It has lots of atmosphere, but it’s not over-the-top, either. It can be pretty brutal at times but also slightly avant-garde (for example, there are clean vocals- freakin' awesome ones at that- on the title track). If I had to make a comparison, I suppose I would liken it to Ludicra’s recent effort The Tenant.

Ever since I heard this album I haven’t been able to stop listening to it. Sure, the production isn’t great, but what black metal isn’t? The important thing here is that the album still manages to be awesome in spite of its pitfalls. Seriously, there is not one song on here I dislike. No other album this year has made such an impact on me this year than Quietly, Undramatically (which is pretty amazing in itself, being as I only started listening to it two weeks ago). Highly recommended.

Recommended tracks: Wait for it...all of them

Last edited by larvtard; 01-02-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:45 PM

some more honorable mentions.

Triptykon- Eparistera Daimonos

The first time I heard this album, I wasn't impressed. I hadn't touched it until my brother bought it a week ago. It was in the car already, so I thought, why the hell not? WOW. This shit is HEAVY. It's a little on the weird side, though. Not a bad thing, but I can't get into it as much as others can.

Ghost- Opus Eponymous

Perhaps the "Traditional metal" tag threw me off... I was expecting something like Maiden or Priest (not that those bands are bad, obviously, but I don't want to hear new bands doing what they did. Naturally, this does not apply to thrash). But no. This stuff is trippy and psychedelic as hell. The vocals are definitely offbeat but for some odd reason I like them a lot. Check out the song "Death's Kneel."