Warrior -- San Marcos, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Headbanger

Yeah I liked Amber's list too. Speaking of the Cowboys from Hell re-issue did anyone hear the "deleted track" from that cd? At first listen it totally sounded like something off Power Metal but somehow grew on me.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
The only thing I really disagree with about Robin's list is that Heliocentric isn't on it. Humility be damned, bro - that album fucking rocks!
Oh, and I like that Knut album as well.
Oh, and it's time to tour the U.S. again already, you cunts.
Strangely enough, Robin Staps is the only musician I respect who has Deftones in his list.

Don't you worry, Nat, it's somewhat known that The Ocean were planning on coming over here as a support act for somebody. When or with who, I do not know.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 PM
That Guy

I think a lot of people forget this rule around here, amongst other places:

Once a band gets popular among,*or at the end of the year is in many year end lists of* hipsters, that band automatically sucks.

This year, it's Deftones.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Strangely enough, Robin Staps is the only musician I respect who has Deftones in his list.

Don't you worry, Nat, it's somewhat known that The Ocean were planning on coming over here as a support act for somebody. When or with who, I do not know.
Me too (on Robin having Deftones on his list but I still respect him), and I know they'll come over...I'm just impatient.

BTW, I wouldn't even assume it'll be as an opening act...I saw them headline in 2008 with Kylesa, Lair of the Minotaur and Withered as support. What a fucking show that was.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:50 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post

Once a band gets popular among,*or at the end of the year is in many year end lists of* hipsters, that band automatically sucks.

I've hated Deftones ever since first hearing White Pony. Their whiny, sloppily-behind-the-beat music has no place in metal whatsoever. I was also forced to suffer in high school as the local band covered the shit out of Adrenaline. Radiohead and metal do not and should not mix.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:54 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post

By that definition on this site it would be Agalloch. Did you scour the lists and see guys with a total genre of music and Agalloch? I know Brad called one of them out early but I've seen several others also.

I have yet to see a black metal list with 9 BM picks and Deftones. Just sayin'
Old 12-30-2010, 05:58 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I've hated Deftones ever since first hearing White Pony. Their whiny, sloppily-behind-the-beat music has no place in metal whatsoever. I was also forced to suffer in high school as the local band covered the shit out of Adrenaline. Radiohead and metal do not and should not mix.
I'm not even a Deftones fan and I know generalizations like this are miles from useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
By that definition on this site it would be Agalloch. Did you scour the lists and see guys with a total genre of music and Agalloch? I know Brad called one of them out early but I've seen several others also.

I have yet to see a black metal list with 9 BM picks and Deftones. Just sayin'
The Agalloch is mad overrated, too, and I'm into that shit.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:06 AM
not the mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
It's funny when I think of the term Hipster, Brooklyn Vegan is almost spot on. My brother is a Manhattan Pseudo-Vegan and he is as Hipster as it gets. hahaha

To me great music is never cliche. Following a fad because others are is cliche and I've seen a lot of that this year. I think it's good to see people who know music giving credit to something so incredible that came from tragedy and is great start to finish.

Personally I find it way more interesting to see what someone who lives, eats and breathes music thinks than someone who lives in their parents basement and worships Tony Danza Tap Dance thinks. To each his own though.

I do find all the differing opinions interesting. This one actually impressed me more than any so far I think:

http://www.noisecreep.com/2010/12/16...l-albums-2010/
The only reason I would look at lists is to find some new music to listen. Lists that just have the same material are just pointless to me, I don't need to read about how great the new Deftones, Triptykon, Overkill etc. are over and over again when I could be listening to something deserving that was sadly ignored.

Another thing is a lot of praised stuff are mostly for undeserving reasons imo. A part of the reason that Deftones release is praised is because it was released by the band Deftones, a band that was known to put out shitty releases and now finally puts out something decent. Overkill, Heathen, and Maiden come from old school fans. As for debuts the hot things were Kverltak(whatever) who were mostly noticed just for their cover artist. Then Shining who were mostly noticed because they picked the band name Shining (I even checked them out for that reason, album was pretty good luckily).
Old 12-30-2010, 06:07 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I actually liked that list, it's the first time I've seen that there was a new Ascent of Everest album, and I love that band. So thanks for reposting.
Has anyone heard the band Hull? I definitely found that guys list and write-ups the most interesting overall. I never expected to see Man's Gin and Bison BC on the same list anywhere even though both are locks for my Top 15. Actually Nat could shock the world but with so many great releases this year it's tough to pick just 10. If Bison BC doesn't make my Top 10 I feel like I'll be making a mistake. On the other hand I know Intronaut is probably better and in time I will rank higher. I'll give it a few more days then decide.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
The only reason I would look at lists is to find some new music to listen. Lists that just have the same material are just pointless to me, I don't need to read about how great the new Deftones, Triptykon, Overkill etc. are over and over again when I could be listening to something deserving that was sadly ignored.

Another thing is a lot of praised stuff are mostly for undeserving reasons imo. A part of the reason that Deftones release is praised is because it was released by the band Deftones, a band that was known to put out shitty releases and now finally puts out something decent. Overkill, Heathen, and Maiden come from old school fans. As for debuts the hot things were Kverltak(whatever) who were mostly noticed just for their cover artist. Then Shining who were mostly noticed because they picked the band name Shining (I even checked them out for that reason, album was pretty good luckily).
I saw more obscure shit on that Metal Sucks list than anywhere. If people read that entire post without focusing in on Deftones or 2009 releases I think they would discover some real gems in there. I already have.