Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014
DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland -- September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014

Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Dude, honestly you're missing out if you've only seen 2 Coen Bros. films. Fargo, Burn After Reading, No Country For Old Men, O Brother Where Art Thou are all great. Then again, if you didn't 'get' Lebowski I don't know if you should bother.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Backing up a couple of pages, did you just attempt to defend an accusation of willful ignorance with a willfully ignorant statement?

You couldn't script this stuff
...and this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Saw True Grit today. Absolutely loved it. Granted, I honestly don't see many new movies, so a ranking would be absolutely pointless. But I absolutely loved it.
Me too.

It was actually a "double feature day" for me. I went with my wife to see Black Swan, and we kinda just forgot that we were supposed to leave the building after that.

...and for the record, Black Swan was fucking awesome as well.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
10. Shutter Island
9. Winter's Bone
8. Kick-Ass
7. The Kids Are All Right
6. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
5. Toy Story 3
4. The King's Speech
3. True Grit
2. Inception
1. Black Swan
So anyway, love your list. I didn't see "Kids", "Speech" or "Inception" yet, but I've no reason to believe any of them were less than very, very good. I also can't recall at the moment if I saw anything that I would have on my list that isn't on yours. Just wanted to say that I loved your 10-8, 6 & 5, 3 and especially your top pick. Portman did a fine job there.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 PM
We're dying on the inside

Ah, you saw Winter's Bone and Dragon Tattoo! That's so awesome, I have fucking nobody to talk to about those except my brother who watched Dragon Tattoo with me. Both were phenomenal.

Is it just me or was this the best year for female performances ever? Portman, Mila Kunis, Noomi Rapace, Jennifer Lawrence, Julianne Moore, Annette Bening, Helena Bonham Carter, Hailee Steinfeld...hell, even ChloŽ Moretz. Not to mention several non-top ten performances that were great and some I didn't even see that are supposed to be. The dudes had NOTHIN' on the ladies this year.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Ah, you saw Winter's Bone and Dragon Tattoo! That's so awesome, I have fucking nobody to talk to about those except my brother who watched Dragon Tattoo with me. Both were phenomenal.

Is it just me or was this the best year for female performances ever? Portman, Mila Kunis, Noomi Rapace, Jennifer Lawrence, Julianne Moore, Annette Bening, Helena Bonham Carter, Hailee Steinfeld...hell, even ChloŽ Moretz. Not to mention several non-top ten performances that were great and some I didn't even see that are supposed to be. The dudes had NOTHIN' on the ladies this year.
I did see both, and your reviews are excellent. "Winter's Bone" was a really bleak film, and I loved it - it reminded me of other great films such as "Snow Angels", "Frozen River" and "Undertow" (all excellent). "Dragon Tattoo" was disturbing on many levels, and I loved it as well. It got under my skin in much the same way as "Let the Right One In" - another great film.

...and yeah, it was one hell of a year for actors of the fairer sex.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Her roles this year weren't quite award-caliber, but I think Chloe Moretz definitely gets the breakout star title for this year, IMO. She's going to be huge if she gets good parts from here on out.

I haven't seen any of the other actresses you mentioned yet (I plan on seeing Winter's Bone in the near future), but it would be a damned shame if Hailee Steinfeld didn't win something for True Grit. She was outstanding. Speaking of which, I'm wondering if that would be considered a lead or supporting role. You could probably make the case for both.

I found out that Exit Through The Gift Shop is streaming on Netflix Instant, so I'll probably watch that this weekend.