Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL-- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
Myrath was pretty high on my list at the beginning of the year, but it's since been displaced - this has just been such a ridiculously good year for power/prog that discs that'd be top 5 any other year are being tossed under the bus. I think the one thing preventing me from putting it higher is that there are times when the Symphony X-worship is laid on a little too thick, particularly on "Madness".

I loved The Scarecrow, but the new Avantasia discs haven't done much for me apart from a few truly awesome songs... as much as I respect Tobias' "fuck you, I do what I want" attitude, I really don't see why he stretched it out over two discs, because there is just TOO MUCH FILLER. However, they were GREAT live - they played over 2.5 hours and hit pretty much every classic and/or epic song. It's a shame the States will probably never get them.
Well said on both accounts. When I 1st heard Myrath I thought it might make my Top 10 but it didn't stand the test of time. You;re right though Symphony X are one of my favorite p/p bands so that's probably why I liked it so much initially.

And I never thought about it but if you took the best songs from the 2 Avantasia cd's and made 1 cd it would be a lock for my Top 10. You would think after releasing 2 cd's and an upcoming dvd they would follow that up with a massive tour though. Maybe someday...
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 12-17-2010, 10:57 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
I loved The Scarecrow, but the new Avantasia discs haven't done much for me apart from a few truly awesome songs... as much as I respect Tobias' "fuck you, I do what I want" attitude, I really don't see why he stretched it out over two discs, because there is just TOO MUCH FILLER. However, they were GREAT live - they played over 2.5 hours and hit pretty much every classic and/or epic song. It's a shame the States will probably never get them.
1) I agree that there is filler, but no more than maybe 2-3 songs per disc. Certainly NOT enough to restrict it to one disc, being that all the longer songs are awesome. The only songs I think they could've done totally without are Crestfallen, Black Wings, Symphony of Life, Blowing Out the Flame, and maybe Down in the Dark.

2) Fuck you for seeing Avantasia.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Unhealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
And I never thought about it but if you took the best songs from the 2 Avantasia cd's and made 1 cd it would be a lock for my Top 10. You would think after releasing 2 cd's and an upcoming dvd they would follow that up with a massive tour though. Maybe someday...
Yeah, they said they were able to do this tour because it was the only time that so many of their musicians were able to get time off. Part of the reason they can't come over is because of visa costs - Glenn of PPUSA fame contacted Tobias for kicks, and he said the costs of bringing them over for a one-off would just be ridiculous. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
1) I agree that there is filler, but no more than maybe 2-3 songs per disc. Certainly NOT enough to restrict it to one disc, being that all the longer songs are awesome. The only songs I think they could've done totally without are Crestfallen, Black Wings, Symphony of Life, Blowing Out the Flame, and maybe Down in the Dark.

1. I gotta disagree - I'm really only able to listen to half the songs from each disc, since I think there's just way too many songs that sound similar or unnecessary. Actually, the ones you listed as being the filler tracks are the ones I thought stood out the most upon my first listens (though Blowing Out the Flame is noooot good at all), but I think we have very different perspectives on power/prog to begin with.

2. I was going to take pics and post them in the Stockholm setlist thread, but my camera decided to die the moment I turned it on. D'oh!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post

I just recently started listening to Avantasia and I think both albums they came out with this year are excellent. I don't hear much if any filler on either album but like I said, i'm new to them so maybe I need to listen to them a few more times to pick out the 'fillers'.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Shining - Blackjazz - Pure genius that belongs in the overall Top 10 on here but won't get it. Could be #1 most underrated but enough people have heard it and given it it's proper due so it falls in at #6 on this list for me. A mortal lock for my Top 10 of 2010.

Thank you for verbalizing this for me!!!

I place this record even before Triptykon's debut, which I cherish more than anyone might ever realize.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondtheblack View Post
Thank you for verbalizing this for me!!!

I place this record even before Triptykon's debut, which I cherish more than anyone might ever realize.
Yeah both are locks for my Top 10 but Triptykon had my favorite EP of 2010 also so I might have them rated a few spots higher for that. I listen to Shatter more than any EP in years
Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Headbanger

So I've seen 20 or so more lists and after listening back through 30 or so cd's I have my 11-20 Most Underrated of 2010. None of these will make my Top 10 but several would be in my Top 20 possibly. Only 2 or 3 have I seen on more than 2 lists with #20 probably being on the most but it's still underrated.

20) Accept - Blood of the Nations - I'm not a big twitter guy but Wolf Hoffman is one of the most accessible people on facebook and actually responds to messages from fans. He said this cd was going to be one of their best and he was right. The new songs translated well live and while other "old school" bands like Forbidden & Heathen are receiving more accolades, this cd is right on par with those. I prefer the style of the other 2 bands personally but people need to hear this cd.

19) The Acacia Strain - Wormwood - I'm sure half of the people who read this already hate these guys. I've heard some of their earlier work and it did nothing for me. This cd actually has it's moments. I give bands credit who evolve and write about interesting topics like Jim Jones and Richard Ramirez. I'd actually like to see some of these songs live and might have to give some of their earlier stuff another listen. Not as bad as you might think...

18) White Wizzard - Over The Top - Obviously not my preferred style of music but I like these guys. If 2010 is going to be remembered by so many people as such a great year for Power/Prog, these guys should at least be on some Top 20 lists.

17) Aeon - Path of Fire - Sometimes you hear a cd and say to yourself I'd love to see that band live. This cd did that for me. I've heard some of their older stuff and obviously they're not doing anything ground breaking here but I really like some of these songs.

16) Myrath - Desert Call - I'm really surprised these guys aren't receiving more accolades especially from people on this site. Once again not my style but very accessible and in some cases as good as some of the songs from bands worshipped by the P/P guys in my not-so-humble opinion.

15) Man's Gin - Smiling Dogs - I get in my friends car and he's playing Hate Money Love Woman. It's kind of folky and repetative. I'm like what the fuck is this shit and he tells me it's the guy from Cobalt. Ironically the song gets stuck in my head after a minute and I ask him to burn me a copy. He described it as Cobalt's version of Jar of Flies and I can't disagree. While it's not for everyone in a year where ambient/folky/atmospheric music is all over people's lists, this cd deserves it's proper due. Man's Gin > Alcest IMO.

14) Mnemic - Sons of the System - I really like these guys even though they've been called Math Metal. It's certainly better than anything Mudvayne has done in years so if it's Math Metal then I must like "real" Math Metal. To me it's just good music and definitely better than some of the other cd's I've been seeing on sites Top 25 lists.

13) Martriden - Encounter The Monolith - 4 straight M's I know but it just worked out that way. This cd is another one the major sites seem to have totally ignored. Why are so many similar bands being praised and these guys barely talked about? Are they not brootal enough? I'm just asking. I'd personally rate this cd over 17-18 of that recent Metal Review Top 25.

12) Texas Hippie Coalition - Pride of Texas - Pantera-ish, BLS-ish, Down-ish, and worlds better than Hell Yeah. I wrote this cd off after a few listens then after a recent listen really got into it again. With so many fans of those other bands on here I'm surprised these guys aren't getting more praise.

11) Cloudkicker - Beacons - I remember the 1st time I heard a song called Tip Your Van Driver. Some dude sent me a friend request on myspace and normally I'd just delete it but I was intrigued for some reason. Holy shit I was blown away. I'm assuming the drums are still programmed but I don't fucking care. This cd is great. It probably should have made my Top 10 underrated but since they're still unsigned I didn't think too many people have even heard of them. If you can get your hands on this cd you should especially if you're a fan of Dillinger type music. Here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1wt6pUrBL0
Old 12-26-2010, 09:13 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
15) Man's Gin - Smiling Dogs - I get in my friends car and he's playing Hate Money Love Woman. It's kind of folky and repetative. I'm like what the fuck is this shit and he tells me it's the guy from Cobalt. Ironically the song gets stuck in my head after a minute and I ask him to burn me a copy. He described it as Cobalt's version of Jar of Flies and I can't disagree. While it's not for everyone in a year where ambient/folky/atmospheric music is all over people's lists, this cd deserves it's proper due. Man's Gin > Alcest IMO.
I'm in love with both albums even if I prefer Alcest's by a decent amount, but I have no idea how it occurred to you to compare them. They sound nothing alike and have basically polar opposite atmospheres.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:21 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
20) Accept - Blood of the Nations - I'm not a big twitter guy but Wolf Hoffman is one of the most accessible people on facebook and actually responds to messages from fans. He said this cd was going to be one of their best and he was right. The new songs translated well live and while other "old school" bands like Forbidden & Heathen are receiving more accolades, this cd is right on par with those. I prefer the style of the other 2 bands personally but people need to hear this cd.
My personal #22

Quote:
18) White Wizzard - Over The Top - Obviously not my preferred style of music but I like these guys. If 2010 is going to be remembered by so many people as such a great year for Power/Prog, these guys should at least be on some Top 20 lists.
My personal #16

Quote:
16) Myrath - Desert Call - I'm really surprised these guys aren't receiving more accolades especially from people on this site. Once again not my style but very accessible and in some cases as good as some of the songs from bands worshipped by the P/P guys in my not-so-humble opinion.
My personal #14

All of those rankings are great in my eyes. I really love all 3 of these albums.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:55 PM
not the mama

Quote:

These 2 I would consider underrated or overlooked. I think a lot of people on here, especially Maiden fans would love White Wizzard especially.

Now look at this list and grab something worth while, best 2010 list I've seen so far.