Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-15-2010, 05:46 PM
not the mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
57.Eminem-Recovery
Eminem's descent to complete shit is complete with Recovery. I didn't hate his last release, Relapse, but it was highly flawed. Recovery's biggest issue is that it's way too mainstream. Eminem no longer cares about smart lyrics, he only cares about radio hits. Shitty guest artists like Rihanna and Pink only bring the album even further down. Recovery is an absolute pile of dog shit that Eminem should be ashamed of.
I'm gonna have to disagree with this. While highly overrated, Recovery was a pretty good album and a nice direction for Em to go in. The collabs with different producers instead of just using Dr. Dre was really refreshing and I think is a smart move to help him grow as an artist. The beats are generally a mixed bag though, some work and others don't but in the end it's all a matter of personal taste whether you enjoy the beats or not. I personally love the use of samples in this album. He completely trolled Lil Wayne on that track. The other pop artists on here are decent, though that Rihanna track got played out on the radio. In terms of lyricism he rarely talks about his own life, instead we get a lot of relationship type stuff but at least it's something different. The album does contain some tracks I am not too fond of but all in all its generally a good listen.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

51.Bullet For My Valentine-Fever

I liked Bullet's first two records a decent amount, I have never been a big fan or anything like that. I checked out Fever and it's easily the worst record they have done. It has way too many clean vocals, which has never been Bullet's strong suit. Bullet always had a mainstream sound, this is just way too mainstream. There are still some good soloing and a couple of good riffs here and there, but for the most part it's a pretty tired effort.
Standout Tracks
1.The Last Fight
2.Alone

50.Disturbed-Asylum

When I first heard this record I thought it was decent. Upon repeat listens, it really started to grate on me. It's such a repeative record. 75% of the songs sound exactly the same. I was already starting to fade out of Disturbed, Aslyum is the nail in the coffin. Worst record Disturbed has done.
Standout Tracks
1.My Child
2.Aslyum
3.The Animal

49.Avenged Sevenfold-Nightmare

Nightmare must have been a difficult record to make. I respect Avenged Sevenfold for making this record after the loss of The Rev. Sadly, Nightmare isn't good. The albums gets way too bogged down with slow songs. Avenged Sevenfold can't play slow stuff. These tracks are completely lame and really drag the album down. Another factor that is underwhelming is how underused Mike Portnoy is. When you have a drummer like Mike Portnoy on a record, the drumming shouldn't be so subpar. Horrible use of such a great talent. What saved this album from being lower is the fact that the songs that are good are really good. It's a shame that the record in The Rev's memory isn't a good one.
Standout Tracks
1.God Hates Us
2.Buried Alive
3.Natural Born Killer
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

48.Black Tusk-Taste The Sin

Black Tusk had been getting a lot of hype, being a huge sludge fan, I checked them out. There is nothing really wrong with Taste The Sin, it's just that nothing really stands out. Black Tusk is pretty much a poor man's Baroness or Kylesa. There are some solid riffs and nice grooves, but for the most part it's just a subpar sludge record that isn't anything special.
Standout Tracks
1.Unleash The Wrath
2.Snake Charmer
3.The Takeoff

47.Mutiny Within-Mutiny Within

Mutiny Within has gotten bunch of attention this year. They are the new tour whores. Their debut full-length is pretty average stuff. They have some talent and solid guitarwork. What takes away from this band for me is the vocals. Chris Clancy has a decent voice, it's just that sometime there is a way too much of a power-metal vibe to it. Not really enough here for me to call it a good record.
Standout Tracks
1.Years Of Affliction
2.Suffocate
3.Awake

46.Exodus-Exhibit B: The Human Condition

Exhibit B was one of the biggest letdowns of the year for me. I was really excited for this record going into the year. The main issue I had with it was the songs were too damn long. I have no issue with long songs, it's just the ones on Exhibit B aren't really intresting. There are few bright spots ("Hammer and Life" is fucking awesome.) This whole album is pretty much full of filler, I really expected better from Exodus.
Standout Tracks
1.Hammer and Life
2.A Perpetual State Of Indifference
3.Downfall
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

Old 12-16-2010, 05:11 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:

46.Exodus-Exhibit B: The Human Condition

Exhibit B was one of the biggest letdowns of the year for me. I was really excited for this record going into the year. The main issue I had with it was the songs were too damn long. I have no issue with long songs, it's just the ones on Exhibit B aren't really intresting. There are few bright spots ("Hammer and Life" is fucking awesome.) This whole album is pretty much full of filler, I really expected better from Exodus.
Standout Tracks
1.Hammer and Life
2.A Perpetual State Of Indifference
3.Downfall
I like this album.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

45.Fear Factory-Mechanize

There's nothing glaringly wrong with Mechanize, it's just a really subpar album. Every track is just average, nothing horrible, but nothing good either. I really don't understand all the praise for this record. To each his own, but I found Mechanize to be the most mediocre record of 2010.
Standout Tracks
Insert any track, they are all on the same level of mediocrity.

44.Kylesa-Spiral Shadow

I was really looking forward to Spiral Shadow. Their previous release, Static Tensions, was a great record and one of the best of 2009. Sadly, Spiral Shadow doesn't really cut it. A good of majority of the tracks just didn't click with me(especially "Forsaken" and "To Forget"). I found it to be way too artsy at times and that the side of Kylesa I don't really enjoy. The tracks that do work well("Tired Climb","Crowded Road") are just as good as the stuff on Static Tensions. Spiral Shadow was the biggest dissapointment of 2010 for me. I hope Kylesa's next record goes back to a more sludgey sound.

Standout Tracks
1.Tired Climb
2.Crowded Road
3.Spiral Shadow

43.The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza-Danza III:The Series Of Unfortunate Events

This record is pretty chaotic. The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza is best in small doses. Their sound does become grating after a while, mainly because of the sloppy production and muddy vocals. The main reason this record is pretty decent is the guitarwork. Josh Travis is one hell of a player and he fits Danza's style perfectly. I think if Danza workedout some of the kinks with production and songwriting(mainly with the weak breakdowns that aren't needed that most of their songs have), we could be looking at a very good band. A flawed, but solid effort.
Standout Tracks
1.There's A Time and A Place For Everything
2.Vicki Mayhem
3.A Trail Of Tears
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

Old 12-17-2010, 01:35 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

This is so depressing... We've only been reading about shitty albums these past few days.

I understand the need to have an epic countdown-sort of thing, but you should just start at your least favorite favorite album or something, then list the albums you didn't like in one post. I dunno, it makes more sense to me than ranking every single album you listened to this year.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
This is so depressing... We've only been reading about shitty albums these past few days.

I understand the need to have an epic countdown-sort of thing, but you should just start at your least favorite favorite album or something, then list the albums you didn't like in one post. I dunno, it makes more sense to me than ranking every single album you listened to this year.
Sorry bro, I'm getting there. I like to talk about each album, list my thoughts. The good albums are coming up soon.
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

Old 12-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Headbanger

I've been wondering what people who bash Mechanize are thinking. What were they expecting? If they were never fans of Demanufacture and other great FF albums I might understand. Maybe I was just so happy to have a new Fear Factory album but that album is Top 10 all day to me.

Christploitation is unlike any Fear Factory song ever written. Powershifter sounds like it could be on Demanufacture to me. I could go down the list but it is what it is. At least you had it over Maiden...
Old 12-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:

48.Black Tusk-Taste The Sin

Black Tusk had been getting a lot of hype, being a huge sludge fan, I checked them out. There is nothing really wrong with Taste The Sin, it's just that nothing really stands out. Black Tusk is pretty much a poor man's Baroness or Kylesa. There are some solid riffs and nice grooves, but for the most part it's just a subpar sludge record that isn't anything special.
Standout Tracks
1.Unleash The Wrath
2.Snake Charmer
3.The Takeoff
Quote:

44.Kylesa-Spiral Shadow

I was really looking forward to Spiral Shadow. Their previous release, Static Tensions, was a great record and one of the best of 2009. Sadly, Spiral Shadow doesn't really cut it. A good of majority of the tracks just didn't click with me(especially "Forsaken" and "To Forget"). I found it to be way too artsy at times and that the side of Kylesa I don't really enjoy. The tracks that do work well("Tired Climb","Crowded Road") are just as good as the stuff on Static Tensions. Spiral Shadow was the biggest dissapointment of 2010 for me. I hope Kylesa's next record goes back to a more sludgey sound.

Standout Tracks
1.Tired Climb
2.Crowded Road
3.Spiral Shadow
I liked both of these albums a lot - especially Kylesa. I will submit that I thought Spiral Shadow was a huge step backwards for Kylesa at first, but on further listens I realized that it was a very good album and that they were pushing themselves further creatively, so of course it didn't sound like Static Tensions, because it was in fact an effort to improve or build upon that sound. I still enjoy Static Tensions more overall, but Spiral Shadow is my second favorite Kylesa album, and that's saying a lot as I'm a big fan of theirs these days.

By the way, Black Tusk and Kylesa are both from the same (Savannah, GA) metal scene , and they know each other very well. Black Tusk is also friends with Baroness, and their album cover is yet another piece of awesome by John Baizley, so the fact that you compared Black Tusk to these bands is either a really big coincidence, a reflection that you have a really good ear for music, or just a confirmation that you already knew this.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-17-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:16 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I liked both of these albums a lot - especially Kylesa. I will submit that I thought Spiral Shadow was a huge step backwards for Kylesa at first, but on further listens I realized that it was a very good album and that they were pushing themselves further creatively, so of course it didn't sound like Static Tensions, because it was in fact an effort to improve or build upon that sound. I still enjoy Static Tensions more overall, but Spiral Shadow is my second favorite Kylesa album, and that's saying a lot as I'm a big fan of theirs these days.

By the way, Black Tusk and Kylesa are both from the same (Savannah, GA) metal scene , and they know each other very well. Black Tusk is also friends with Baroness, and their album cover is yet another piece of awesome by John Baizley, so the fact that you compared Black Tusk to these bands is either a really big coincidence, a reflection that you have a really good ear for music, or just a confirmation that you already knew this.
I actually had no idea Black Tusk was from Savannah, it makes a lot of sense now. So apparently I have a good ear for music
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head