Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Headbanger

The Most Underrated cd's of 2010

I've made some comments on cd's I thought were going to be overrated this year so I thought since I heard over 200 cd's this year why not list the most underrated? Most of these aren't on any lists I've seen or maybe a few in Shining and Periphery's case but these probably won't make any overall Top 10 lists so I thought they deserved their own recognition. Props to hb420 for being the only person who has even mentioned the new Sodom release which might be their best in a decade.

10) Mutiny Within - Mutiny Within - My favorite Power Metal cd of 2010. These guys are great live and the singer can belt with the best of them. Why they aren't bigger and listened to by the PM population on here if baffling to me.

9) Heaven Shall Burn - Invictus - Once again I come in at the end of a trilogy and have to backtrack. Their Therapy? cover as a bonus track just adds to the strength of this cd.

8) Howl - Full of Hell - Loved this cd the 1st time I heard it. I thought once it sunk in it might crack my Top 10. Not quite, but Top 20 definitely.

7) Misery Index - Heirs to Thievery - I've seen these guys as openers and never really got into them. This cd changed that. Another Top 20 pick from a band that came out of nowhere for me.

6) Shining - Blackjazz - Pure genius that belongs in the overall Top 10 on here but won't get it. Could be #1 most underrated but enough people have heard it and given it it's proper due so it falls in at #6 on this list for me. A mortal lock for my Top 10 of 2010.

5) Hellish Crossfire - Bloodrust Scythe - A friend burned me this cd knowing I would love it and he was right. It's 1988 thrash metal done to perfection.

4) Lair of the Minotaur - Evil Power - I have no idea why this cd isn't on a bunch of lists on here and in other publications. I hear so many influences in here including Carnivore, Venom, Sodom and so many others. Definitely in my Top 15.

3) Periphery - Periphery - Local boys blowing up! I was hounded to go to a local show to see these guys and man was I happy I did. I had never even heard of them and they had my jaw on the floor most of the night. How many bands cover Meshuggah? Only 1 that I know. Periphery! These guys will be HUGE one day. Another lock for my Top 10. If you want a real treat search for their 2004-2008 demos. They cover Glints Collide, Elastic, New Millenium Cyanide Christ & Mouth Licking along with some other gems. 99 demos including the craziest Suicidal influenced xmas song ever penned.

2) Bison BC - Dark Ages - I loved this cd, forgot about it and have recently picked it back up. WOW! I'm guessing Snakes for the Divine will be in our overall Top 10 but I have a hard time ranking that cd over this one. I might have to listen to both a few more times but if you like HOF, Kylesa, Howl and bands like that definitely check out Bison BC. Currently in my #10 spot

1) Sodom - In War and Pieces - I might not even know about this cd if Sodom wasn't scheduled to play 20 min from my house only to cancel. I haven't heard any reviews of it or anyone even hype it at all. Let me tell you, the thrash is back! Hellfire is one of the best songs released in 2010. The cd also comes with a 25th anniversary concert that includes some live gems including Christ Passion, Sodomy and Lust & One Step Over the Line that make this cd package the most underrated of 2010 to me.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Everything on my list except HOF and Maiden
Old 12-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
8) Howl - Full of Hell - Loved this cd the 1st time I heard it. I thought once it sunk in it might crack my Top 10. Not quite, but Top 20 definitely.
Agreed.

Quote:
6) Shining - Blackjazz - Pure genius that belongs in the overall Top 10 on here but won't get it. Could be #1 most underrated but enough people have heard it and given it it's proper due so it falls in at #6 on this list for me. A mortal lock for my Top 10 of 2010.
I like it a lot as well, although I'm thinking you might be more in love with it than I am.

Quote:
4) Lair of the Minotaur - Evil Power - I have no idea why this cd isn't on a bunch of lists on here and in other publications. I hear so many influences in here including Carnivore, Venom, Sodom and so many others. Definitely in my Top 15.
Totally agree. This is going to rank very high in my list, and fuck it if one of my votes gets "wasted" on it...it's one of the best albums of 2010 hands fucking down. If you don't like this album then you don't really like metal. It's that simple.

Quote:
2) Bison BC - Dark Ages - I loved this cd, forgot about it and have recently picked it back up. WOW! I'm guessing Snakes for the Divine will be in our overall Top 10 but I have a hard time ranking that cd over this one. I might have to listen to both a few more times but if you like HOF, Kylesa, Howl and bands like that definitely check out Bison BC. Currently in my #10 spot
Love it. Snakes for the Divine is way better, though, brah. The title track from Snakes alone is pure fucking gold. Add to that Frost Hammer, Bastard Samurai , FFP and Fire Spitter and you've got yourself a top ten album, brother!

Quote:
1) Sodom - In War and Pieces - I might not even know about this cd if Sodom wasn't scheduled to play 20 min from my house only to cancel. I haven't heard any reviews of it or anyone even hype it at all. Let me tell you, the thrash is back! Hellfire is one of the best songs released in 2010. The cd also comes with a 25th anniversary concert that includes some live gems including Christ Passion, Sodomy and Lust & One Step Over the Line that make this cd package the most underrated of 2010 to me.
I haven't finished listening toi this yet, but what I've heard I liked. I think it's mainly the timing of this album that's fucking it over in terms of year-end lists...that'd be unfortunate if it gets swept aside just because of that.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 PM
That Guy

The only thing I'd disagree about on this list is calling Mutiny Within Power Metal. Progressive Metal yes, Power Metal...not so much.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Rats off to ya

I'd put Acrassicauda's ep on this list, and MW is like a mix of power, prog, and metalcore.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
7) Misery Index - Heirs to Thievery - I've seen these guys as openers and never really got into them. This cd changed that. Another Top 20 pick from a band that came out of nowhere for me.

Misery Index will totally make my list, not quite sure about Bison, but they may just because I haven't really liked anything else this year that much.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:11 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

CDS ARE OVER RATED
Old 12-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
CDS ARE OVER RATED
so are beards. hahaha that cracked me up for some reason.

You might be right Nat about Snakes. The 1st half of that cd is godly, It's the 2nd half that hasn't sunken in yet. Bison start to finish grabbed me hardcore. It's going to be a 15 round fight for me going back and forth I think. I still have Snakes a few spots higher but Bison as a whole might prevail. We'll see.

Yeah I was surprised how much I liked Misery Index. I immediately checked out the compilation they released this year Pulling Out the Nails and I'm a huge fan now. I forgot they were local guys and their connection to Dying Fetus which just makes them that much cooler. I was just judging the cd on it's own merit and I'm glad I did.

And I guess MW isn't technically Power Metal but they're as close as I get really. I'd consider Periphery Prog and those 2 bands are nothing alike.. to me at least.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

So how're we classifying underrated this time? Stuff that's been rated badly but is actually really good? Stuff that's so unknown it hasn't been rated at all? Or stuff that's not been rated as great in enough places?

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 12-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
So how're we classifying underrated this time? Stuff that's been rated badly but is actually really good? Stuff that's so unknown it hasn't been rated at all? Or stuff that's not been rated as great in enough places?
Both of these