Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 12-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoreOfBowling View Post
A word from the wise:

"Slipknot are nothing to do with rock 'n' roll. They're not a rock band, they've got no tunes, no chords or choruses. They have no idea how to behave on stage and they wear masks and red boiler suits, I just don't see any redeeming features; well maybe one - they're pretty good at disguises. I came from The Beatles and Little Richard, they come from the circus. Maybe I'm too old to get it, but I don't mind because they're crap."

- Lemmy Kilmister, In His Own Words, 2000.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:08 PM
None ov thy empty Gods shall ever stand above me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoreOfBowling View Post
A word from the wise:

"Slipknot are nothing to do with rock 'n' roll. They're not a rock band, they've got no tunes, no chords or choruses. They have no idea how to behave on stage and they wear masks and red boiler suits, I just don't see any redeeming features; well maybe one - they're pretty good at disguises. I came from The Beatles and Little Richard, they come from the circus. Maybe I'm too old to get it, but I don't mind because they're crap."

- Lemmy Kilmister, In His Own Words, 2000.
Wow, lemmy is kind of a genius. Silpknot not a rock band, who could have guessed.

Now I love Lemmy and Motorhead, but this quote includes references to The Beatles, and is therefore invalid.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratt View Post
Now I love Lemmy and Motorhead, but this quote includes references to The Beatles, and is therefore invalid.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:55 PM
N00B

I love reading y'all's comments!
"they sound nothing like slipknot"
"slipknot sucks"
"lemme's quote is invalid" You guy's are hilarious!

Just look at the interest this thread has generated, 2,300 reads in 3 days!

I had a hell of a time finding a recent setlist for them on line before this show, nothing on setlist fm (heard their mgmt theatened them or something??). I am no Rammstein expert, but I had pieced the setlist together with my limited knowledge, but the young man posted the set before me, cause I went to my local bar in uptown manhattan to drink more beer that didn't cost $9 bucks a bottle! (Ridiculous price, totall robbery!) and to tell of my revelation that night! I still can't believe how much fire and flame I saw. It really was crazy!

Now some answers:

Yes of course there we're people waving german flags, Uruguayan flags, etc. others, but i gotta tell ya the crazy american teens standing next to me were banging their fists on their knees like the singer, they knew all the words, all the cues. I was amazed. Talked to a metal fan (Nile t-shirt) that flew up from florida to see this! I had just seen ozzy there 9 days before and the energy in there couldn't have been more different considering it's essentailly the same demographic buying tix. Those pictures posted here are excellent representations of what happened. I'll have to go to youtube and see whats going on.

BTW, made 2 circles around the garden after, looking for t-shirt bootlegs... NOTHING! Seems either they didn't bother with the one-off show, (no tour), or the plain clothes cops had snuffed them out. The actual Rammstein merch was selling well $35 for shirts, the custom event shirt with the burning statue of liberty was gone before they even played! all over i saw the vendors getting the last shirts off the wall, after the show!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:10 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Yeah, some friends and I were gonna make the 14-hour drive up to NYC to see this show if we could get tickets. We couldn't. But I totally would have done that drive if I had to.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Somewhere Back In Time

I must be out of touch, but I never would have guessed that Rammstein could sell out MSG. That pyro is definitely impressive. It is funny to see the pit so far from the stage. I bet those guys in the front row still felt like they were getting scorched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Just look at the interest this thread has generated, 2,300 reads in 3 days!
Search engine bots, spiders, etc. account for more than half of those "views."
Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by es156 View Post
I must be out of touch, but I never would have guessed that Rammstein could sell out MSG."
Yeah, I think you are. Coming from a younger crowd here, Rammstein was one of the first bands that got my friends and I into heavy metal. I remember back on my little middle school football team, we would all chant along to the lyrics of Engel before we went onto the field for a a game. I mean, none of us knew what any of it meant, but German sounded so cool and evil to sing in. Most everyone I grew up with is familiar with Rammstein, almost to the level of Metallica in their popularity.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Yeah, I think you are. Coming from a younger crowd here, Rammstein was one of the first bands that got my friends and I into heavy metal. I remember back on my little middle school football team, we would all chant along to the lyrics of Engel before we went onto the field for a a game. I mean, none of us knew what any of it meant, but German sounded so cool and evil to sing in. Most everyone I grew up with is familiar with Rammstein, almost to the level of Metallica in their popularity.
I'm 20 and I don't know anyone who likes Rammstein.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Concert Veteran

I'm 32, been listening to metal for over 20 years and know virtually nothing from Rammstein or anyone who likes them. I remember the song 'Du Hast' being popular whenever that album came out but nothing else after that. To say that they're at a popularity level that's close to Metallica the funniest thing i've ever read on here.

The reason they sold out MSG is quite simple. It has nothing to do with them being insanely popular at all. The fact is they haven't toured here in forever, they played MSG on a saturday night and it was their only US date announced. So you got fans from all over North America to make a weekend trip to NYC and see them. That's the reason they sold the place out.

They may have a good following but if this wasn't a special one time only performance they wouldn't have had a chance in hell of selling out MSG.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:39 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
The reason they sold out MSG is quite simple. It has nothing to do with them being insanely popular at all. The fact is they haven't toured here in forever, they played MSG on a saturday night and it was their only US date announced. So you got fans from all over North America to make a weekend trip to NYC and see them. That's the reason they sold the place out.

They may have a good following but if this wasn't a special one time only performance they wouldn't have had a chance in hell of selling out MSG.
I was about to say the same thing you just said.

Although, I would add that since they haven't toured the US in 10 years, it's hard to say what their potential draw really is. My personal opinion is that if they toured the US once per album cycle (every 2-4 years), they could probably sell out a few arena shows, like New York/Chicago/Los Angeles. Maybe one or two other major markets that are not geographically near those 3, like Texas or Florida. But I don't think they could do a full US tour of every major market and still sell out arenas.

The problem is it doesn't make financial sense for them to bring their whole stage setup halfway across the world just to play a few shows. Fortunately they seem to have found success in Canada and South America too, so hopefully they can string a bunch of dates together across North/South America so it makes financial sense to come back.

Last edited by leglessmoof; 12-14-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Tags
rammstein