Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

mastodon421's Absurdly Long and Drawn Out Year-End List Spectacular

Over the next few weeks, I will be doing my year-end list. In this thread I will be doing the following.
1.Best Albums Covers of 2010
2.EP's
3.Best Live Performances
4.Rank every record I heard this year.

I will post the albums covers today at some point and hopefully tommorow, rank the 4 EP's I heard this year. Monday or Tuesday I start the full album countdown and somepoint I will post the best live shows and other shit. Thanks for reading and stay tuned!
9/28 Coheed

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Here my picks for the Top 5 Best Album Covers

5.As I Lay Dying-The Powerless Rise
Jake Bannon did the cover for this and I always like his stuff, this is no exception.

4.Howl-Full Of Hell
This is just one bad-ass cover plain and simple, the artwork is really interesting and strikes you right off the bat.

3.Carnifex-Hell Chose Me
This cover is easily the best thing about the album. This cover embodies the title and it's really an evil and awesome cover. Too bad a shit album got such an awesome cover.

2.Overkill-Ironbound
Overkill has a history of killer album covers, but I think takes the cake. They one of the coolest logos in all of metal and it's on full display here.

1.Intronaut-Valley Of Smoke
This cover is equal parts awesome and pretty. A truely gorgeous cover that is just a great piece of art.
9/28 Coheed

Old 12-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

It's time for my EP rankings. I heard 4 this year and I liked all of them actually. Without further ado, here they are.

4.The Devil Wears Prada-Zombie EP

Like I have mentioned before, The Devil Wears Prada is one of my guilty pleasures. After their so-so last effort With Roots Above and Branches Below, I had pretty much written them off as a band. Zombie EP came as a surprise for sure. It's a lot heavier and faster than any of their previous stuff. I like the overall direction this record takes and if they drop their horrid clean vocals, I think I would like their stuff alot more. Zombie EP is a pretty good effort that is the best material The Devil Wears Prada has released since their debut.
Standout Tracks
1.Revive
2.Escape
3.Anatomy

3.Chiddy Bang-The Preview

Chiddy Bang is one of the most promising young rap acts around. They sample the likes of MGMT and Passion Pit with their beats and add some creative spins on them. Lead Rapper Chiddy has pretty damn good lyrics and a great flow. With exception of opening track, "The Good Life", which is a dud, The Preview is a solid debut EP and shows the potential that Chiddy Bang has.
Standout Tracks
1.All Things Go
2.Here We Go
3.Opposite Of Adults

2.Atmosphere-To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade Holy:The Atmosphere EP's

Atmosphere's double EP features 11 tracks, so it really feels like a full length. As usual, the beats are top notch. Ant's arsenal of unique and killer beats is not going to run out any time soon. Slug's rhymes are as candid and smart as ever. Atmosphere steps to the plate yet again and releases another great piece of music.
Standout Tracks
1.Shotgun
2.Hope
3.Freefallin'

1.Fleshgod Apocalypse-Mafia

One of the best discoveries of 2010 for me was Fleshgod Apocalypse. Their brand of brutal tech-death is just astonshing. The drumming is inhuman, the guitarwork is fast and prescise and the vocals are brutal. The 4 original tracks and their excellent cover of "Blinded By Fear" by At The Gates are all punshing and wonderful pieces of death metal. This band just really,really impressed me and fans of tech-death should check this band out ASAP. Mafia is a thunderous spectacle that takes the crown of EP of the year for me.
Standout Tracks
1.Thru Our Scars
2.Conspiracy Of Silence
3.Blinded By Fear
9/28 Coheed

Old 12-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Dude - you missed some damn good EP's this year. Plus, MotA should be on your list for the album cover category as well. Tsk, tsk.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:22 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

Dude - you missed some damn good EP's this year. Plus, MotA should be on your list for the album cover category as well. Tsk, tsk.
I'm not really into Cynic or Autopsy, i've given them a few chances, but I just can't get into them. Torche was one of the records I didn't get a chance to listen to this year that I had an intrest in. I have never listened to Mouth Of The Architect or Triptykon before. I am just starting to get into black metal, so I will check Triptykon eventually, I want to explore some more black metal before I check out Triptykon.
9/28 Coheed

Old 12-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
I want to explore some more black metal before I check out Triptykon.
Triptykon isn't much of a "black metal" band persay, more like a "doom band with traditional black metal influences". You would probably like Triptykon more than most black metal you would 'explore'.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Headbanger

Yeah nat's picks are all top notch EP's. I do like Atmosphere though...
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 12-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
Triptykon isn't much of a "black metal" band persay, more like a "doom band with traditional black metal influences". You would probably like Triptykon more than most black metal you would 'explore'.
well said
Old 12-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Today I am commencing my list of full-lengths. Starting with a thud with albums 57-55.

57.Eminem-Recovery
Eminem's descent to complete shit is complete with Recovery. I didn't hate his last release, Relapse, but it was highly flawed. Recovery's biggest issue is that it's way too mainstream. Eminem no longer cares about smart lyrics, he only cares about radio hits. Shitty guest artists like Rihanna and Pink only bring the album even further down. Recovery is an absolute pile of dog shit that Eminem should be ashamed of.

56.Carnifex-Hell Chose Me
I've never really been a fan of Carnifex and Hell Chose Me didn't really do anything to change that. It's really boring and just about every song sounds exactly the same. Outside of the awesome cover, there isn't much to like here.

55.Bring Me The Horizon-There Is A Hell,Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret
Bring Me The Horizon's new record is a bit different from their past material and has 2 songs that I actually like. Outside of those 2 tracks, it's an emo-filled piece of shit. "Crucify Me", "Don't Go" and "It Never Ends" are way too ambitious for BMTH and end up being just as bad as their earlier material. This might be the best record BMTH has ever done, but it still fucking sucks.
Standout Tracks
1.Home Sweet Hole
2.The Fox and The Wolf
9/28 Coheed

Old 12-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Headbanger

The 1st time I listened to new Eminem I said to my friend I like the entire cd except the idiotic Rihanna song. I'm not a big rap fan by any means but the lyrics on this album are clever as shit. I still like So Bad, Cinderella Man and a few others. I think it's worlds better than his last cd because of the lyrics alone.

Totally agree on the other 2