Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Daimonos Presents: 2010 In Review

Hey everybody, we're finally reaching the end of 2010 and everyone is getting their year end lists together. This year I heard (mostly bought) 40 albums that were released during the year of 2010, and attended a total of 14 shows.

Over the next couple weeks I'll share with you my opinions on the following subjects (There may be more if I think of other categories):
1. Top 5 Album Covers of 2010
2. Top 5 Shows of 2010
3. Top 10 Live Performances
4. Rankings of the 40 albums I've heard

Thank you for checking my thread out and stay tuned for updates!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Top 5 Album Covers

First up will be my five favorite album covers from 2010:

5. Phobia – Unrelenting
A war driven cover, covered with skulls, makeshift graves, and machine gun ammo is the perfect piece of art to slap onto the cover of a 14 minute grind assault brought to you none other by grind legends Phobia.

4. Immolation – Majesty and Decay
This cover fits the album perfectly. It’s dark, brooding, and actually looks like it would be heavy. Definitely stuck out to me the first time I saw it.

3. Lightning Swords of Death – The Extra Dimensional Wound
I’m not really sure what exactly this album cover is supposed to be, but I think it’s awesome to look at. It’s very detailed and mysterious, and the indecipherable logo makes it all the better.

2. Darkthrone – Circle the Wagons
Another interesting piece by Dennis Dread, who has done art for the last couple releases by Darkthrone, as well as album covers for Autopsy, Abscess, and Phobia, to name a few. His ‘pencil-styled’ drawings are very unique and detailed, and work with Darkthrone’s new style pretty well.

1. Hour of Penance – Paradogma
Great cover. Perfect for anti-religious brutal death metal, with a church being brought down in flames by crosses with a bleeding Mary statue out front. It doesn’t get much better than that.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:37 PM

Shows I Attended

Here is a list of the shows that I attended this year, I'm only going to list the headliners for now:

Devildriver - 1/21/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA.
Behemoth - 1/28/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA.
Mastodon - 4/26/10, The Palace Theatre, Greensburg, PA.
Amon Amarth - 4/28/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA.
GWAR - 6/24/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA.
Iron Maiden - 7/14/10, First Niagara Pavilion, Burgettstown, PA.
KISS - 7/28/10, First Niagara Pavilion, Burgettstown, PA.
Mayhem Festival 2010 - 8/07/10, First Niagara Pavilion, Burgettstown, PA.
Ozzfest 2010 - 8/19/10, First Niagara Pavilion, Burgettstown, PA.
Rush - 9/16/10, Console Energy Center, Pittsburgh, PA.
Triptykon - 10/14/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA.
Black Label Society - 10/16/10, Trib Total Media Ampitheater, Pittsburgh, PA.
Watain - 11/06/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA.
Dimmu Borgir - 11/12/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 PM

Top 10 Live Performances

Top 10 Live Performances

10. Rush – 9/16/10, Console Energy Center, Pittsburgh, PA
This was my second time seeing Rush. I thought that the setlist was a pretty strange one, but Rush is Rush. Neil Peart is my drumming hero, and watching his flawless performance could have made me cry. Geddy was on his game and sounded great vocal wise as he was slapping his bass like a madman. The second half was the highlight, seeing as Moving Pictures is one of my favorite albums. I definitely want to go see them again sometime.

9. Ozzy Osbourne – 8/19/10, First Niagara Pavilion, Burgettstown, PA
This was my third time seeing the Ozzman live, and it was probably the best. I’m not going to lie I went in thinking he might not be all that great, and I was disappointed by the lack of Zakk Wylde and Mike Bordin. Ozzy played an awesome set and pulled out some surprising songs such as “Fire in the Sky”, as well as some of my favorite Black Sabbath songs such as “Fairies Wear Boots” and “Into the Void”. His new band is tight too. The “Rat Salad” jam was beyond amazing. Ozzy had a good pick with Gus G.

8. Clutch – 10/16/10, Trib Total Media Ampitheater, Pittsburgh, PA
I only just recently started listening to Clutch, and after hearing the self titled album, I was immediately hooked to them. Even though I love BLS and Children of Bodom (the old stuff, at least), I was going to this show mainly for Clutch. Though they played before Bodom at my date, it was still worth the time they got. I was beyond excited to hear them pull out “I Have the Body of John Wilkes Booth”, “Freakonomics”, “Big News I”, and “Burning Beard”, to name a few. I really, really, really want to see these guys headline, and when I do, you can count on me being in the front row.

7. Watain – 11/6/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA
Whenever I found out that Behemoth was coming back a second time this year, I nearly shit myself. Whenever I found out that Watain would be coming with them, I did shit myself. Whenever Behemoth cancelled the tour, I was very surprised to see that Watain was doing a headlining show at Mr. Smalls. I didn’t think they were big enough to headline there, but I was wrong, I guess. Since it was the first date of the tour, they didn’t have any of the rotting animal carcasses or blood, but the music and the performance were still awesome. Daniellson seriously looked possessed onstage, and there was definitely a presence of some sort throughout the venue. Highlights for me were “Malfeitor”, “On Horns Impaled”, “Waters of Ain”, “Total Funeral”, and “Stellarvore”.

6. Triptykon, 10/14/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA
Without a doubt the heaviest and loudest show I’ve ever been to. I was able to witness Tom G. Warrior, a Metal God, play to a room of what couldn’t have been more than 150 people. Warrior had such a commanding and intense presence on stage, and only spoke to the crowd once the entire night. In addition to the Triptykon songs, of course they pulled out some Celtic Frost classics such as “Circle of the Tyrants”, “The Usurper”, and the ball breaking “Procreation (of the Wicked)”. The Triptykon songs were incredible as well. “Goetia”, “The Prolonging”, and “Abyss Within My Soul” were all monumental. I hope these guys tour America again sometime soon.

5. Suffocation, 1/22/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA
I’m not going to lie, I went to this show to see Devildriver, and although they were awesome that night, Suffocation was just a mindfuck. I wasn’t a fan of them at the time, and the only album by them I owned was Blood Oath. I only knew two songs they played throughout their set, and those two, as well as all the other ones, completely floored me. Watching Hobbs, Marchais, and Boyer play their guitars was mind boggling, as well as Mike Smith’s incredible drumming. Frank Mullen also sounds like a monster live, and is hilarious when he talks. The band plays such complicated and heavy material with such energy. The day after this show, I ordered three of their albums, and today I consider them to be my favorite death metal band.

4. Behemoth, 1/28/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA
This was my third time seeing Behemoth, my second time seeing them as a fan, and my first time seeing them headline. Mr. Smalls was the most crowded I have ever seen it, and there was good reason for that. They played their crushing brand of blackened death metal for over an hour. Although the set lacked any material that was released before Satanica, they made up for it with three songs off that album: “LAM”, “Decade of Therion”, and “Chant for Eschaton 2000”. Other highlights for me were newer songs such as “Lucifer” and “Alas, Lord is Upon Me”, as well as “Christians to the Lions” and “As Above So Below”, which might be one of the heaviest songs I’ve ever seen live.

3. Amon Amarth, 4/28/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA
Amon Amarth was one of the bands that got me into extreme metal, and since I missed what was their first show in Pittsburgh in 2009, there was no way in Hell I was going to miss this one. No matter what songs they played, it was going to be an awesome show, since all of their material is good. They could have used more from Fate of Norns and With Oden on Our Side, and maybe a bit less from Twilight of the Thunder God, but I really can’t complain. I headbanged through the duration of their entire set, beginning to end. “Valhall Awaits” was Godly live, as well as “Death In Fire” and “Varyags of Miklagaard”. I’m very much awaiting their new album and hoping they decide to visit Pittsburgh again.

2. Iron Maiden, 7/14/10, First Niagara Pavilion, Burgettstown, PA
I used to be a pretty big fan of Iron Maiden, but after awhile I kind of grew out of them. In the recent years I didn’t really care about their classic material, and I surely couldn’t give a damn about their new material. Shortly before the tour was coming, I decided to give A Matter of Life and Death a second chance, and I liked it a lot more than I did whenever I was 13 years old, and I completely understand why I didn’t like it then. I didn’t decide I was going to go until the last minute, but I’m really glad I did. I was very skeptical because I knew the setlist, but what can I say…It’s Maiden. This was perhaps the most emotional and epic show I’ve ever been to. Never before have I been so far away from the stage, all the way up on the lawn, but felt so ridiculously close to the band. All of the new songs were beyond incredible live, and the few old songs that they played made the entire night even better. After the show, I quickly regained my interest in Iron Maiden, and I will GLADLY go see them any chance I ever get to do so.

1. Enslaved, 11/12/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA
I was so disappointed that Enslaved was opening for Dimmu Borgir, but I wanted to see them for a second time so fucking bad. I was lucky enough to have won a spot on the guest list, so I didn’t have to pay $30 to get in, but I would have gladly paid that much for this show. They only got to play 35 minutes, but they were so damned awesome. I might be a bit biased, because Enslaved is one of my favorite bands, but whatever. The new songs that they played, “Ethica Odini”, “Raidho”, and “The Beacon” were incredible live. Especially “The Beacon”. It was ferocious. “Fusion of Sense and Earth” and “Isa”, were both great too, and got pretty good reactions from the crowd. “Ground” is a very special song to me, and it was one of the highlights of the set. I spent the whole 35 minutes headbanging, fist pumping, and screaming every word to every song. Ivar even acknowledged my presence while they were onstage, giving me a thumbs up sign and nodding. I was able to meet the entire band after the show, and get a handful of my albums signed. I had a great conversation with Cato, the drummer, about drums and recording and some other things, and had small conversations with Ivar and Herbrand. They’re all great guys, and I am looking forward to their American headlining tour in 2011 more than anything right now.

Coming next will be my ranking of the three EP's I heard during 2010.

Last edited by daimonos; 12-23-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:44 AM

EP Rankings

2010 EP Rankings

3. Phobia – Unrelenting
I’m fairly new to grindcore, so I don’t have very much to compare this to, but I’ll take it for what it is: 17 ‘unrelenting’ songs in not even 15 minutes. This EP is just a short burst of madness and energy. A couple of the songs sound a little bit repetitive, especially in the vocal patterns, but that doesn’t really surprise me. It’s actually better than a lot of full length’s on my list and it’s great when I feel like smacking my steering wheel and banging my head for 15 minutes while I’m driving.
Favorites:
1. Revolt Your Life
2. Life’s Animosity
3. If You Used to Be Punk, Then You Never Were

2. Autopsy – The Tomb Within
I was surprised earlier this year whenever Chris Reifert suddenly ended Abscess (who also have an album out this year…just realized I never got around to hearing it) and reactivated Autopsy full time. I was even more surprised whenever they announced they were going to have an EP out just a couple of months after that. There’s not much you can really say about this EP, other than it’s Autopsy. Some of the songs fit right in with the classic Autopsy albums, while others sound more like Autopsy’s mid-later 90’s albums. The riffs are slow, heavy, and slamming, while Reifert’s grunts are as inhuman and sloppy as ever (in a good way). This EP is Autopsy’s way of showing everybody that they’ve still got it, and after hearing this, I really can’t wait for their full length to be released.
Favorites:
1. My Corpse Shall Rise
2. Human Genocide
3. The Tomb Within

1. Triptykon – Shatter
I picked this up at the whenever I saw Triptykon live a couple weeks before it was released. The EP features two new Triptykon songs that were recorded during or around the recording of Eparistera Daimones (Shatter, I Am the Twilight), an ambient interlude (Crucifixus), and two classic Celtic Frost songs performed live by the band (Circle of the Tyrants, Dethroned Emperor), with the latter featuring Nocturno Culto on vocals. The new songs are full of as much quality as anything on Eparistera, if not even better than a couple of tracks, while the live songs are well, Celtic Frost. The simplicity and ambience of “Shatter” make it one of the most haunting but beautiful songs of the year, while “I Am the Twilight” is just eight minutes of heavy. In my eyes it doesn’t get too much better than an EP filled with new Triptykon and live Celtic Frost classics, so that’s probably why this is my favorite EP of the year.
Favorites:
1. Shatter
2. I Am the Twilight
3. Dethroned Emperor (Live with Nocturno Culto)
Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
Mastodon - 4/26/10, The Palace Theatre, Greensburg, PA.
Triptykon - 10/14/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA.
Watain - 11/06/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA.
Nicely done.

Quote:
Behemoth - 1/28/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA.
Amon Amarth - 4/28/10, Mr. Smalls Theater, Millvale, PA.
Fuck off and die.

...and by the way, those are three killer EP's you listened to.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Fuck off and die.
You could have made those trips to Pittsburgh, broseph

Quote:

...and by the way, those are three killer EP's you listened to.
It was really hard for me to rank them, cause I like them all alot. I would have liked to hear more EP's from the year, but I'm satisfied with the three I've got.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Banned Asshole

No Samael - Antigod?!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
You could have made those trips to Pittsburgh, broseph
I know. They were both on my radar screen, actually, but I wasn't able to make either one, and that makes you an asshole. Sorry, that's how my logic works.

Quote:
It was really hard for me to rank them, cause I like them all alot. I would have liked to hear more EP's from the year, but I'm satisfied with the three I've got.
I liked the ones from Trap Them, Cynic, Torche and Mouth of the Architect to varying degrees as well, but most of those aren't your cup of tea, I'm sure.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I liked the ones from Trap Them, Cynic, Torche and Mouth of the Architect to varying degrees as well, but most of those aren't your cup of tea, I'm sure.
I like Cynic, but ultimately decided I didn't care enough to buy the EP. Trap Them sounds like something I'd be into as well.