The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-02-2010, 03:17 PM
That Guy

Part 4:

41.) Sevendust- Cold Dead Memory

Sevendust has that thing about them that either makes for a killer album or a shitty album. They kept it all killer and no filler on this album. They took all the best parts of what they are known for and converted it into 12 songs. It does make me feel bad they are have only been doing shitty tours lately, or headlining over shitty bands. These guys deserve so much more. Maybe sometime after the Music As A Weapon tour, they will get some killer tours going. This album deserved better promotion.

8/10

42.) Return To Earth- Automata

To anyone scared that drummer, Chris Pennie wouldn't never showcase his chops again can no longer worry. Return To earth covers all the bases of what Pennie is known for. Think of Return to Earth as the more Rock oriented version of Dillinger Escape Plan. Just as heavy and technical, not as much hardcore screaming. It is refreshing to hear an album so varied. It feels like this is the album Dillinger would have made if Chris Pennie was still in the band. Not to say Ire Works nor Option paralysis weren't stellar. Check this one out!

8/10

43.) Cee Lo Green- The Lady Killer

Say what you want about the guy, he did make one of the best singles, Fuck You, of any genre in 2010. I was originally going to avoid this album and play him off as a one hit wonder *which is still very possible will happen* but this album is absolutely amazing from start to finish. The rest of the album is nothing like Fuck You. It actually features....get this....real instruments! Something unheard of in today's non-rock mainstream music. Besides the single, this is a real Soul/Funk/R&B album, they way it should be done. I can appreciate any style of music that features real instrumentation and good songwriting. This album has that. If you can appreciate non-Rock music, please check this out. Coming from a Prog guy, that says a lot.

7/10

44.) White Wizzard- Over The Top

Another band of the resurgence of Classic Metal. And they do it damn well. Picking right up where Judas Priest left off. I have a good feeling White Wizzard will be a band that stays in the underground, unless they get picked up to open for Maiden or Priest i 2011, but their music is definitely a style that can appreciated by Metal fans young and old. PIck this one up if you aspire to relive the old days of Metal in 2010.

7/10

45.) In This Moment- A Star-Crossed Wasteland

I've always had a thing for this band since I first heard Daddy's Falling Angel. Besides Maria Brink being the hottest chick in Metal *don't even debate the issue,* She does have some killer Metal pipes when she wants to use them. The last album, The Dream was a huge letdown to me besides The Great Divide. A Star-Crossed Wasteland brings back The Metal of Beautiful Tragedy, and the accessibility of The Dream. Which I find to be a great mix. I do have a hard time getting into female fronted bands, it's not because of any sexism or anything like that. It's usually just because especially in the Gothic Metal scene, they are just their for eye candy and don't fit the mold of what style they are playing. In This Moment has both eye candy and great songs. Simple as that.

8/10

*This was a short one, heading out to band practice, I'll be back with more tonight*
Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Part 4:

41.) Sevendust- Cold Dead Memory

Sevendust has that thing about them that either makes for a killer album or a shitty album. They kept it all killer and no filler on this album. They took all the best parts of what they are known for and converted it into 12 songs. It does make me feel bad they are have only been doing shitty tours lately, or headlining over shitty bands. These guys deserve so much more. Maybe sometime after the Music As A Weapon tour, they will get some killer tours going. This album deserved better promotion.
[b]
8/10

*This was a short one, heading out to band practice, I'll be back with more tonight*
It took 41 cd's for us to totally disagree. Not bad at all. I consider myself a HUGE 7dust fan and I personally hate the whiny and wimpy turn they've taken. The lyrics to Unraveling are polar opposite to the lyrics of Face to Face, their best song in my not-so-humble opinion. It's all about him being heartbroken and not being able to cope. I remember seeing them live and so many girls were singing along to that horrific song then they just stood there baffled during Face to Face. That spoke volumes to me. I like maybe 2 songs off eacjh of their last 2 cd's. They've gone way commercial and I'm done buying their cd's. Will definitely see them live though.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:38 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
It took 41 cd's for us to totally disagree. Not bad at all. I consider myself a HUGE 7dust fan and I personally hate the whiny and wimpy turn they've taken. The lyrics to Unraveling are polar opposite to the lyrics of Face to Face, their best song in my not-so-humble opinion. It's all about him being heartbroken and not being able to cope. I remember seeing them live and so many girls were singing along to that horrific song then they just stood there baffled during Face to Face. That spoke volumes to me. I like maybe 2 songs off eacjh of their last 2 cd's. They've gone way commercial and I'm done buying their cd's. Will definitely see them live though.

That is the one thing with me. Lyrics and vocals rarely make me like or hate a band. I always pay attention to the music going on more then anything. I listen to Unraveling a lot and I bet you anything I couldn't have told you what the song was about until you mentioned it.

Splinter for example, that song is heavy as fuck. And I do not know the lyrics to the song besides the "You Think You Killed Me" line in the chorus but the riffs to that song are just badass, and make up for any whinyness Lajon is pulling off now.

But like I said, that's just me.

Part 5 will be coming up tonight at some point.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
That is the one thing with me. Lyrics and vocals rarely make me like or hate a band. I always pay attention to the music going on more then anything. I listen to Unraveling a lot and I bet you anything I couldn't have told you what the song was about until you mentioned it.

Splinter for example, that song is heavy as fuck. And I do not know the lyrics to the song besides the "You Think You Killed Me" line in the chorus but the riffs to that song are just badass, and make up for any whinyness Lajon is pulling off now.

But like I said, that's just me.

Part 5 will be coming up tonight at some point.
Yeah I think what got me also was in interviews they raved about how heavy this cd was going to be and how with Clint back they were getting back to their old style. At 1st listen it was way more like the last cd than Alpha or Seasons so I wrote it off immediately. I agree Splinter rocks and so does Inside from teh previous album. I just wish both had more songs like that. This one had a few chunkier riffs I'll give it that.

It's funny when I saw Chris Pennie I had to do a double take because I'm good friends with Chris Pernia from Pessimist and he was telling me about some new side project he was working on. I was hoping that was him.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Yeah I think what got me also was in interviews they raved about how heavy this cd was going to be and how with Clint back they were getting back to their old style. At 1st listen it was way more like the last cd than Alpha or Seasons so I wrote it off immediately. I agree Splinter rocks and so does Inside from teh previous album. I just wish both had more songs like that. This one had a few chunkier riffs I'll give it that.

It's funny when I saw Chris Pennie I had to do a double take because I'm good friends with Chris Pernia from Pessimist and he was telling me about some new side project he was working on. I was hoping that was him.
That I do gotta agree with. They haven't been the same since Seasons. And I must agree Face To Face is one of, if not their best song. I guess without listening to FM radio much anymore I don't realize the mainstream much anymore. The more I look into it the more I do see Sevendust apart of it.

I didn't know Chris Pernia had a new project. I'll have to keep my open for that.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:14 AM
That Guy

Part 5:

46.) Levi/Werstler- Avalanche Of Worms

Instrumental Progressive Metal featuring members of Daath and Sen Reinhert of Cynic. Now that's a great combination! This is a phenomenal instrumental album. It has so many dynamics and emotions covered throughout. While Levi and Werstler are both of the band Daath, this is so much better. Reinhert is mindblowing on this album. It is always a pleasure to hear him drum. From the looks of it this may be just a one time studio only band, but if that is the case, they really did put their heart and soul into probably the best album they will be apart of *excluding Reinhert who only gets better with age*.

9/10

47.) Oceansize- Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up

Oceansize has always been a band to me that can stay Alternative/Progressive Rock, and never get boring. The new album proves that. The album explodes from Heavy almost metal tunes to slow ballady post rock, and all things in between. The one complaint I do got to give about Oceansize is that they have yet to make their masterpiece. They always get so close, but never quite get past the bar. I still have hope for these guys to accomplish that...also to tour the US once again. For something completely different, check this album out!

8/10

48.) Atheist- Jupiter

Had this album featured Tony Choy's bass playing, and what was suppose to include a cover of Rush's YYZ, this would have been in my top 3 of 2010. The lack of those two things made this album drop quite a lot. That's not to say this isn't a great album. But it does lack a lot. Production wise, picture ...And Justice For All, if it was made in 2010...very little bass. Everything else on the album is stellar, especially Steve Flynn's superior drumming. Regardless, This will probably end up in the upper half of my list, but sadly, not very far. I got my hopes way too high up.

6/10

49.) Nachtmystium- Addicts Black Meddle Pt II

One of the most fucked up albums, in a good way, of 2010. Psychedelic Black Metal. Whenever it gets super heavy, it gets super poppy. They have always been known to push the envelope genre wise, and this album is no different. Nachtmystium is one of those bands that I've always dug, but never quite invested enough time into. This album changed that and I really do love them now because of it. I hope they keep going "out there" with their future releases. It's what they do best.

9/10

50.) Triptykon- Eparistera Daimones

One of the best Extreme Metal albums ever put out. Tom G. Warrior put out his best work this year with Eparistera Daimones. Every song hits a different spot in the term of the genre Extreme Metal. A Thousand Lies wins the award for the most Brutal song ever created. There's not much else that needs to be said other then if you want pure Evil Metal, get this album!!!

10/10

51.) Flotsam And Jetsam- The Cold

Oddly enough this album was released on Head's *Ex Korn guitarist* album label. But it doesn't make the album any less heavy or thrashy. I do consider The Cold to be standard Flotsam And Jetsam without deviating from the norm. Fast songs, heavy songs, a ballad or two, the hit single that never made it onto radio, etc. But all while having a Modern sound to it. Fans of Classic Thrash will appreciate this album. Nothing extraordinary on it, but a great listen none the less.

6/10

52.) Jeremy Messersmith- The Reluctant Graveyard

Those longing for the sounds of 60's pop music made in 2010, this is your album. Jeremy Messersmith is a local Twin Cities musician that really captured my attention this year. While this album that that distinct classic Pop/Rock sound from yesteryear, there is that tinge of darkness surrounding the album which makes for some great storytelling. Those will to take a chance with some poppier, but enjoyable pop rock. Get this album. Again, coming from a Prog guy, that says a lot.

8/10

53.) Haken- Aquarius

Haha, in speaking of Prog. This has gotta be one of the most refreshing Progressive Metal albums I have heard in a LONG time. Prog that is not ripping of Dream Theater nor Meshuggah at every chance. They take everything good from every Prog and Metal and a damn near perfect Progressive Metal album. While the stereotypes of Prog are all over this album, that is in no way a bad thing. When these guys make their 2nd album, that will be be the day people may just start saying Dream Who?

9/10

54.) Pain Of Salvation- Road Salt (Part One)

This is the most frustrating album for me this year. I want to like it, but it is so damn different, in a ripoff way. Pain Of Salvation was the underground's underground Progressive Metal band, that went. Then they made Scarsick, while I still dig that album is completely out there in making Modern Metal. Road Salt on the other hand...it's Led Zepplin to a T. I really want to believe Road Salt Part Two will have a bit more creativity left, but this album made me reinforced my theory that every band has a point in their career where they peak. If you dig classic Rock, get this album, but if you were a fan of POS's old days, you'll either love or hate this album. I'm still torn.

5/10

55.) Zach Hill- Face Tat

Replace the phrases, Pain Of Salvation, Progressive Metal, and Classic Rock; with Zach Hill, Math Rock, and you can almost make the same argument. Zach Hill is still the most insane single bass/single pedal drummer out there, but this album is so damn simple I could play along with it the first time I heard it. I don't want that from Zach Hill. The songs are actually pretty good, unlike Road Salt, but still very disappointing, but again, you can make the argument that every artist has to change to stay fresh. I guess this is Zach Hill's take on that.

6/10

56.) Emanuel And The Fear- Listen

Another one of the Alternative/Folk Rock bands that I discovered this year. These guys wrote 19 completely different songs on this album and a damn good job of it as well. Believe it or not, Jeff Gretz, drummer of the band ZAO, is the drummer of Emanuel And The Fear. Everyone has to have their different outlets. There are some minor production problems with this album. One example is when you can hear the vocalists swallow between lyrics in some songs, which does get a tad annoying if you're paying attention to it. But regardless, this is one of the best alternative albums of the year. The River Empires still wins for me as the best, but this takes the silver medal.

8/10

57.) Disturbed- Asylum

I'll never be completely sold on Disturbed, but I do gotta admit, their ability as musicians and songwriters only get better and better. While I do agree with others who have said this album does feel like one long song, but to me, it's a better song then OHHH WAHH AHHAHH AHHHHH. As least they are trying to keep somewhat every and rockin. Which can't be said of a lot of hard rock bands now a days.

6/10

58.) Dillinger Escape Plan- Option Paralysis

Without a doubt, this is their magnum opus. They did it right with this album. The perfect blend of what they are known for made in one album. The only regret about this album is that Chris Pennie is not apart of the band while they achieved their possible highest peak. I am very curious to see where DEP will go from here. But as of now, bask in their glory of Option Paralysis. They earned it.

10/10

59.) 65daysofstatic- We Were Exploding Anyway

Another band that completely changed their sound, except in the case, maybe for the worst. What made me really dig these guys with the mix of Post Rock and Electronica. All the Post Rock is completely gone from these guys. While if I was into Electronic, these guys would be my favorite band. But alas, I'm really not. It's the same reason I can't stand Muse anymore. This will probably get them bigger exposure, but for me, they lost me.

4/10

60.) Bad Religion- The Dissent Of Man

I was shocked by the amount of hate for the last album, New Maps Of Hell. To me, that is their best album. it was almost hardcore punk and Heavy metal. The Dissent Of Man goes back to the classic days of Bad Religion. Bad Religion is by far my favorite punk band, so I'm not disappointed at all. They keep the spirit alive that Punk music is not bands like Blink 182 or Simple Plan, and that those bands sucks! The Dissent Of Man is a phenomenal album that while poppier then New Maps Of Hell, it's very refreshing and awesome all the way through.

9/10

*Not too many albums left, check out part 6 coming within 24 hours*
Old 12-03-2010, 07:52 PM
That Guy

Part 6:

61.) Weezer- Hurley

Ever since Maldroit. Weezer has been defied by their "shit, good shit, good, shit, good, style of album making. Raditude was one of the shittiest albums of last year. Hurley is definitely a better album. It still pretty damn poppy for my taste, but its a step in the right direction. I am one of "those guys" hoping Weezer would go back to making Rock albums. I understand those days are long gone, but I'll keep hoping for it. In the mean time, this will tide me over.

6/10

62.) Shining- Blackjazz

The most fucked up album of 2010 by far. I love it so much. The album title says it all. It is Back Metal and Jazz. Every song is just as fucked up as the next in some way shape or form, but I wouldn't have it any other way. If these guys ever get big enough to tour the states, I don't care where, I'll be there front row center to see them.

10/10

63.) Raunchy- A Discord Electric

Give me shit all you want, I love Raunchy. Ever since I heard Insane on a local Metal show. The one thing that always caught my attention about these guys is there sense of making awesome chunky guitar riffs and sensible pop hooks all in the same song. Something that bands like Attack Attack! and Brokencyde decided to rape and mutilate in the shittiest way. Because of that Raunchy will never get taken seriously *if they couldn't already because of the band name*. The new album is what I feel to be a continuation of the last two albums. Not necessarily bad, but nothing groundbreaking at all. Just average. If you've never checked out Raunchy before, this may be a good album t start off with, if you skipped the last album, you might as well skip this one as well.

5/10

64.) Allen-Lande- The Showdown

What can I say. It's an all-star album of Symphonic Progressive Power Metal. So of course it is cheesy as all hell. But being a prog fan, that's what I expect and love. The album overall has a very 80's Metal feel to it, but in a good way. While the album is not ground breaking, it has a lot of great memorable riffs and and very cool songs. For fans of this genre, it is a must have.

8/10

65.) Armored Saint- La Raza

This was not the album I was expecting to be the return of one of the best Metal bands of the 80s. It may be because I somewhat overlooked this album, but the album doesn't really stand out too much. Overall, it's really average. Which is sad considering this is John Bush's gig now. If they make a new album I'll have better hopes for it. But for La Raza, to me, it's album I gotta be in the right mood to listen to.

5/10

66.) Volbeat- Beyond Hell/Above Heaven

One of the best bands going today of their genre. Every album they put out gets better and better. While they do stick to their formula, it's a great formula. The addition of guest appearances of members of Napalm Death and Kreator is also a nice choice. Check this one out. Groove Metal to a T.

8/10

67.) GWAR- Bloody Pit Of Horror

I will go on record saying Lust In Space is one of, if not the best GWAR album made. And I'm pretty sure I'm one of the 7 people who will ever say that. Bloody Pit Of Horror is absolutely the counter opposite of Lust In Space. And that is a good thing. This is way more Thrashy and Punkish. at 37 minutes, this is a short album, but any longer may be pushing too much. This is one that can be played over and over again and not feel old.

8/10

68.) Bullet For My Valentine- Fever

They lost me completely. Scream Aim Fire was going on such a great track, then they decided to be commercial again. I'm very let down by the album. Musically it is cool, but the lyrics are so god damn whiny. It really makes their goal to be an Emo band that much closer. Oh well, they could have been a great band, but hey as Devin Townsend said on the Punky Bruster album: "This Punk Rock scene is shit, but there's money to be made. So let's milk it!!!"

3/10

69.) Brain Drill- Quantum Catastrophe

Brutal Death metal to the absolute extreme. it does get a bit overbearing after a while, but in small doses, this is a great album. I haven't seen them live, but I would really hope they can pull shit shit off in a live setting.

7/10

70.) Deftones- Diamond Eyes

Best album since White Pony. Which honestly doesn't say a lot. But this album has improved the band in so many ways. The last two albums sucked bad. This is a real return to form, while being completely different. I really hope they can keep this momentum going on their next album.

8/10

71.) Arsis- Starve For The Devil

Probably the most startling change of 2010 for me. From being one of the most technical Death Metal bands to being the American version of Children Of Bodom. While not a bad thing, I understand how long time hans will be greatly disappointed by this album. I however loved We Are The Nightmare and Starve For The Devil equally. Two completely different albums but just as Metal. I respect Arsis's choice to go a bit Thrashier instead of Technical Death Metal. It made for some quality song writing and overall, dare I say, a fun album.

9/10

72.) Intronaut- Valley Of Smoke

Without question Intronaut's best album. It's their Proggiest yet and damn it, it's amazing. They made the right choice going in this direction. They've showcased everything they are about in 8 beautiful, yet Metal songs.I hope Valley Of Smoke will give Intronaut the recognition they absolutely deserve.

10/10

73.) Star One- Victims Of The Modern Age

It's Arjen. What else do you need? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad by the fact that Ayreon may never return, but if he keeps making the quality of albums Victims Of The Modern Age is, I will be forever happy. Heavy, Proggy, not as cheesy. Damn it's awesome!

9/10

74.) Spock's Beard- X

People have been saying for years that without Neal More in the band that Spock's Beard might as well hang it up. For a while I was almost in that same boat. Then my mind became clear with X. This is dare I say their best album the band has ever produced. they really put it all on the line for this album. It tears me up inside Spock's Beard can't even afford to tour behind this album. It is so damn good. Prog Rock fans have no idea what they are missing if they don't pick up X. One of the best Prog Rock albums in the last decade, and without question the best Prog Rock of the year.

10/10

75.) Soilwork- The Panic Broadcast

It's been a long time coming for Soilwork to make good music again. This album has that in every track. Easily their best album since Figure Number 5. While they mainstream songs are still there, their other tracks are more brutal then their early material, which is fucking awesome. I hope they phase out the mainstream songs and come back to the dark side, it is what they are best at.

8/10

*Part 7 will most likely be the last part. Stay tuned!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
I will go on record saying Lust In Space is one of, if not the best GWAR album made. And I'm pretty sure I'm one of the 7 people who will ever say that.
I never understood all the hate on Lust in Space. Most Gwar fans like it but the die hard bohabs who think This Toilet Earth-Carnival of Chaos is their best material always bash that album. I still wouldn't say it's their best though, i'd say it's probably my 4th favorite.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
I never understood all the hate on Lust in Space. Most Gwar fans like it but the die hard bohabs who think This Toilet Earth-Carnival of Chaos is their best material always bash that album. I still wouldn't say it's their best though, i'd say it's probably my 4th favorite.
Yeah I've noticed that a lot whenever I try to talk GWAR with anyone. Lust in Space is the only GWAR album that every song clicked with me right away. Every other album has had at least 1-2 songs that I didn't initally like, that I eventually loved.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Headbanger

Glad to see Blackjazz getting some love. Definitely going to me in my Top 15, probably Top 10.