Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Old 11-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Obscura
Old 11-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Not that Opeth's really technical death metal; it's a common misconception. I've seen albums like Blackwater Park labeled tech death when it's really plain ol' death or prog, thus I thought this might be the type of stuff you were referring to. To be honest I've seen the same shit with Dream Theater, which would be accurate except for the "death" part.

Obscura's good stuff, I mean, I consider them a damn good tech death band. I always lumped them in with bands like Cynic and Cryptopsy and the like, and Atheist and Death a notch above those. Cliche I know, but Focus and None So Vile are good albums. Decapitated's first album was really good to, but it's been a while since I listened to it. I consider Decapitated to be on the same level as, per say, Spawn of Possession (don't really know why, I just group bands together like this). Jupiter was a fine album, but it hasn't gone without competition for the past 17 years. But tech death is a genre I've always had a harder time defining, so I might be a bit out of my element here. If you consider Meshuggah tech death, which could be argued and counter argued, they're high up there on my list.

But yeah, A Celebration of Guilt and Obscura (album) I'd say are better than Jupiter.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:55 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehemence View Post
Not that Opeth's really technical death metal; it's a common misconception. I've seen albums like Blackwater Park labeled tech death when it's really plain ol' death or prog, thus I thought this might be the type of stuff you were referring to. To be honest I've seen the same shit with Dream Theater, which would be accurate except for the "death" part.

Obscura's good stuff, I mean, I consider them a damn good tech death band. I always lumped them in with bands like Cynic and Cryptopsy and the like, and Atheist and Death a notch above those. Cliche I know, but Focus and None So Vile are good albums. Decapitated's first album was really good to, but it's been a while since I listened to it. I consider Decapitated to be on the same level as, per say, Spawn of Possession (don't really know why, I just group bands together like this). Jupiter was a fine album, but it hasn't gone without competition for the past 17 years. But tech death is a genre I've always had a harder time defining, so I might be a bit out of my element here. If you consider Meshuggah tech death, which could be argued and counter argued, they're high up there on my list.

But yeah, A Celebration of Guilt and Obscura (album) I'd say are better than Jupiter.
Fair enough. I mean, tech death isn't really my thing. Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance, early Cynic, and Atheist is the extent to which I care about it. I hear other stuff and more often than not just shrug. I get it, I just don't care for it unless there's some fucking songs, and more often than not it seems to me that there aren't.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:40 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

no agalloch, really?
Old 11-27-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
no agalloch, really?
Someone's gonna shoot me because I love Opeth but...Agalloch's transitions suck.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Someone's gonna shoot me because I love Opeth but...Agalloch's transitions suck.

Them transitions from Black Lake until To Drown are fantastic.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 PM

I dunno, I just feel like every time they go from a long, ambient, acoustic, pretty part to a black metal part they just say "ALRIGHT NOW WE'RE GONNA PLAY BLACK METAL" and go right into it, and it's jarring every damn time. Now, that being said, all their individual parts are very good, and I think I could get into them more with more time, but so far, their greatness hasn't quite revealed itself.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I dunno, I just feel like every time they go from a long, ambient, acoustic, pretty part to a black metal part they just say "ALRIGHT NOW WE'RE GONNA PLAY BLACK METAL" and go right into it, and it's jarring every damn time. Now, that being said, all their individual parts are very good, and I think I could get into them more with more time, but so far, their greatness hasn't quite revealed itself.
I will give you this.

The transition between They Escaped the Weight of Darkness to Into the Painted Grey sucks a lot.

Still my favorite album of the year though
Old 11-27-2010, 12:59 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Fair enough, but im calling it now... ur gonna wish it was on ur list sometime next year :wink:

(ill fix that smilie later, im on my phone and dont remember the code)
Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Arcade Fire, The Suburbs
Coffinworm, When All Became None
Dawnbringer, Nucleus
Howl, Full of Hell
Johnny Cash, American VI: Ain't No Grave
Kvelertak, Kvelertak
Overkill, Ironbound
Nevermore, The Obsidian Conspiracy
Off With Their Heads, In Desolation
Sailors With Wax Wings, Sailors With Wax Wings
Some good stuff on there. I liked the Arcade Fire album well enough, I guess, but I really didn't listen to it that much. I just obtained a copy of the Coffinworm album (based on your recommendation, basically), and I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. I love the fuck out of that Howl album. Holy shit. I listen to that when I work out, and I swear to sweet Satan it makes me fucking stronger. I also love, love, love that Kvelertak album. Great stuff - party music for sure. I listened to some snippets from Sailors with Wax Wings, and I like it pretty well. I can't find the shit anywhere, though - but I'mma keep trying, I think. It seems worth the trouble.