High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
I wouldn't say that if I where you. After joining this forum last month I've learned this place is plagued and filled with die hard Iron Maiden fans(not saying anything is wrong with that...I love iron maiden, just not in the same level as pretty much everyone else here)....Just saying I probably wouldn't say that around here...I think the post above me is a good example of what i'm talking about...

Since you've only been here a month I don't think you should tell someone who's been here a year and a half what they can say or can't He isn't gonna get any shit for that because a lot of Maiden fans on here feel the same way. They play great live no matter what but a lot of fans would like to see some variety. It's never gonna happen though since that's never been Maiden's way. It would be cool to go see them and wonder if that night you might get to hear them do something different like To Tame A Land or Infinite Dreams but that's never gonna happen.

Quote:
This was the last of the "Death Magnetic" tour?...

Can someone please tell me something? Why is it when Metallica played in america back in 08 for there Death magnetic tour they would play about 10 to 9 old classics and the rest of it being there new album and some cover songs? Then when they went to Europe they give them all the rarities and gems that the U.S didn't get? Not only that but Metallica was playing WAY less Death Magnetic songs in Europe then in the U.S.....I figured with the recent sets in Europe before they head back to America for the 2nd leg of the tour I assumed they would be giving the same treatment they're giving Europe......I remember at the last show of the U.S for the 2nd leg of the Death Magnetic tour they played about 8 songs off Death Magnetic at our show and the Auzzies in Austrialia only get 3 songs?....what gives.....does metallica hate america

I wish they could have busted out Orion or Call of the Ktulu here back in 08'
09' during the death magnetic tour
The most they usually ever did off DM at shows was six songs. I don't believe they did any shows that had eight or nine songs off it at all. Europe is a different situation than America because Metallica plays festivals there. These festivals can draw 100,000 people or better as opposed to the 15,000- 20,000 they draw per show here in North America. Since there will be more "casual" fans at the European shows due to the huge crowds these festivals draw, Metallica sticks with the "classics" set there. With so many people, there will be a lot of them not familiar with the new stuff so the old stuff is the way to go.

Plus, they've toured North America way more than anywhere else so a lot of fans like myself, have had the opportunity to hear them play most of the old material through the years. Australia got special treatment because it was the last part of the tour and the band felt like fuckin around with the sets more and they haven't been down that way in awhile so I guess they decided to give the fans there something a little more special.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
N00B

Seen Metallica in Europe numerous times (around 10) inculding festivals but that is by far the best set ive seen from them...ever, 2nd to that is the 2008 set at donnington...hearing MOP in its entirety was awesome. Could you seriously imagine hearing that set?! just the into to messiah, disposable, Ktulu, fight fire with fire???

This just shows how good metallica are, i know they've had some shit years (i know i know) but seriously they have grown up and finally giving the fans what they want to hear.

I am a maiden fan (seen them about 6 or 7 times) but It really puts maiden to shame...how can metallica go out and change sets each night, where as they play exactly the same songs each night?

In Maidens defence, i think they do juggle there "tour sets" for example i enjoyed this years set of playing the recent stuff and also playing the 2005 set where they just played shit off the first 4 albums (definitley in my top 5 concerts of all time!) ....So you kinda know what your gonna get each night, where with metallica you be slightly disappointed with a couple of song choices.

Anyway awesome set! Interesting to see what this 'Wall' tour shit will be like. Im thinking first four albums - 2 hour set?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Sad Wings Of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysadler2 View Post

Anyway awesome set! Interesting to see what this 'Wall' tour shit will be like. Im thinking first four albums - 2 hour set?
Don't get me excited...

Actually a "first four albums" tour would run about 4 hours, so I think that's out of the question. I'm really hoping they do a US Puppets tour AND a US Black Album tour. I think that would make everyone happy.
10/15 - Amon Amarth, Sabaton
Old 11-22-2010, 02:21 PM
N00B

People obviously will disagree with this, although the black album is good, i the songs are getting a bit reptitive live. I just started getting into them early/mid 90's n saw them in the 'escape from the studio tour' at donnington, just a bit bored of sandman, matters and sad but true. Every Metallica gig ive been to the've played them.

I know its the same with one, MOP etc. but i first beame a fan around the black album era.

so i would favour first four album tour
Old 11-22-2010, 02:46 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
The most they usually ever did off DM at shows was six songs. I don't believe they did any shows that had eight or nine songs off it at all.
Nah you're right.. I'm looking at the set right now, they only played about 6 songs at the last show i was at *judas kiss, day that never comes ect*....atleast play the good ones like Unforgiven III, My apocalypse ect. Either way still no excuse for this many bathroom/smoke breaks...
11/14 - Slayer
Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 PM
I can't stop thinking big

Amazing set. Looking forward to seeing Metallica again soon, Black Album in full or whatever.
7/18 - Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper
Old 11-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRedWing13 View Post
Amazing set. Looking forward to seeing Metallica again soon, Black Album in full or whatever.
This
11/19- Judas Priest
Old 11-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Either way still no excuse for this many bathroom/smoke breaks...
Only for you... I saw them three times on this tour and didn't take a single break.

Mind you, I never take a single break in any show. Ever. Because doing so is dumb.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 11-28-2010, 11:54 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Only for you... I saw them three times on this tour and didn't take a single break.

Mind you, I never take a single break in any show. Ever. Because doing so is dumb.
Not unless the song sucks. I never take breaks either MIND YOU...only when I don't like the song by the band *Dead Skin mask by slayer always comes to mind*

But thats nice to know you dont take breaks during shows. Stay metal

EDIT: I saw them 4 times on this tour (3 times in December of 2008 and once in December of 2009)
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 11-28-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Homebrewing Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post

100% agree. Who takes breaks during a normal length concert. Hold it, don't be a sissy.

However I think they are doing something more than just playing The Black Album in full. Thats not worthy of "something to rival The Wall". I suspect it might be Puppets and Black album, now that would be something for everyone and would rival The Wall..maybe.

We miss you Ronnie...

Tags
metallica