Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014
Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014

Old 11-16-2010, 05:59 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

My friend just burned me this CD (This was my first taste of Agalloch, mind you). Honestly, I found it kind of boring. That's not to say they're bad musicians or anything, but I gotta tell you, they would be SO much better if they sang. I can just imagine it

Yeah, the black metal vocals don't belong here. They just don't work for me.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Actually, there are clean vocals on all their other albums. Really good ones at that.
5/21 - Primus
6/28 - Iron Maiden - Bergen, Norway
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
Old 11-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

The Mantle has very little blackened vocals.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Actually, there are clean vocals on all their other albums. Really good ones at that.
Yeah, my brother told me that they're prevalent on The Mantle especially. I'll have to check their other stuff out then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
The Mantle has very little blackened vocals.
Confirmed.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

I think you'll also like Ashes Against the Grain too, because the vocals fit a lot more with the more metallic sound.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:11 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Ashes was very progressive sounding, I'm glad they combined their older styles with that on their new album because it sounds really unique.

As for the vocals, I hate it when people hate on growling just because it doesnt sound clean. Clean vocals wouldn't totally kill this album, but it would take away heavily from the mood the band was going for. I mean listen to that haunting screaming in the middle of Black Lake Nidstang, if it was sung in a clean voice then that part wouldn't even stand out or have any emotion in it. Clean vocals in dark atmospheric music just don't make sense.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
As for the vocals, I hate it when people hate on growling just because it doesnt sound clean. Clean vocals wouldn't totally kill this album, but it would take away heavily from the mood the band was going for. I mean listen to that haunting screaming in the middle of Black Lake Nidstang, if it was sung in a clean voice then that part wouldn't even stand out or have any emotion in it. Clean vocals in dark atmospheric music just don't make sense.
To me it sounded like the mood on this album called for singing, not black metal screaming, which is funny because this is apparently their most black metal-sounding album

Anyways, that's just my opinion regardless. I'll give Ashes a listenn to, thanks wine.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Unhealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
Yeah, the black metal vocals don't belong here. They just don't work for me.
I haven't heard this one yet, but you're not alone in this. Theoretically, Agalloch's one of those bands that I should adore... but their vocalist drives me up the wall every time he growls, and arrrgh. I don't hate harsh vox - it's just something about his harsh vox that completely ruin the band for me. :/

To make this post slightly relevant, I'll give them another shot - streaming this on the NPR site now. So far, the cello is lovely.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
I haven't heard this one yet, but you're not alone in this. Theoretically, Agalloch's one of those bands that I should adore... but their vocalist drives me up the wall every time he growls, and arrrgh. I don't hate harsh vox - it's just something about his harsh vox that completely ruin the band for me. :/

To make this post slightly relevant, I'll give them another shot - streaming this on the NPR site now. So far, the cello is lovely.
I'm not a fan of his harsh vox either, but that's not what I was saying exactly. If Agalloch were a pure black metal band, I would be fine with the vox. But they're not, and so I'm not.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:29 PM
not the mama

You guys are weird. Although I do agree that if they only had harsh vox they probably wouldn't be as interesting, as I think the clean vocals really work, but they just wouldn't be the same without the harsh vox. Listen to the song Bloodbirds. The instrumental build up leading into the harsh vox coming at the very end of the song is completely crushing.