Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Mastodon -- Kansas City, MO -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Milwaukee, WI- October 20, 2014
Fit For A King -- Detroit, MI -- October 21st, 2014
Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 10-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I know how you feel. After you listen to an entire Opeth album, you're like, "Shit, this one is the best!" They're all so amazing. One day, it will be Blackwater Park, then Deliverance, then My Arms, Your Hearse, then Damnation, then Morningrise, then even Watershed... in the end, I think for an Opeth fan that your favorite album is a very personal decision. Ghost Reveries has a special place in my metal loving heart, but is it better than their others? I can't say. Damn; few other bands make me feel that way.

Oh, and your avatar picture is win
Thanks! Axioma is my favorite album of the year so far.

I think it's safe to say that Still Life, Blackwater Park, Morningrise, and Ghost Reveries make up the highest tier of my Opeth album rankings, but everything else changes.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

1. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

This one was hard to pick because I actually didn't have the full 7th Son album until I had been into Maiden for a few months (mostly due to the fact that I didn't buy the albums for a good while because I was afraid my parents would see the cover art and get pissed). However, the track that got me into Maiden, heavy metal, and even rock and roll in general was Infinite Dreams. I had never heard of Maiden before but my friend recommended them and I liked his Maiden t shirt so I tuned into a metal AOL radio station (lol I had no idea how to find music back in the day so this was the best option I could think of) and waited for a Maiden song. Infinite Dreams came on and blew my mind. I had never, ever heard anything like it before. I thought I was in love with it but it was so different than what I was used to I couldn't be sure. I waited for another Maiden song to come on (which turned out to be Ancient Mariner) and I loved that one too. The rest is history.

2. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

This came out right as I was going through a pretty crappy part of my life. I was feeling lost, having friends turn their backs on me, having to own up to the fact that my behavior in those recent years had finally caught up to me and made the bed I was lying in. Basically I was reaping a lot of the bad things I'd sown in my life. This album came out and took my mind away from having to deal with that. Funny thing is that at first I really disliked it and then one day it all just clicked. It's my favorite album of all time and I have no doubts that it'll stay that way.

3. Rush - 2112

I bought this one at the peak of my "try and find the most brutal metal out there" period. Basically I dismissed most hard rock bands because I thought all these aggressive metal bands did it better and faster than the classics. This showed me the folly of my ways. Hard rock (as big of an umbrella as that term is) is now my preferred genre.

4. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

This record seemed like the fastest, darkest, most evil thing ever recorded when I first heard it. I was blown away by the aggression and I loved the fact that the record felt like pure evil to a naive 16 year old. This record gave me a new appreciation for fast tempos and dark lyrics. I actually intended to buy Reign in Blood that day at the record store but I thought my parents would find out that it had a parental guidance sticker on it and I'd get in a lot of trouble. So I bought the only Slayer album they had that didn't have that sticker.

5. Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls For Rock N Roll

I had been heavily into Maiden for about a year and I was really struggling to find any other bands that I enjoyed. I saw Sabbath play with Maiden at Ozzfest 05 and I was really impressed by their performance so not long after the show I went out and bought an album. I didn't know what to get so I just picked up the greatest hits. I fell in love with tracks like NIB, Snowblind, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Although this compilation is missing a lot of essential tracks and includes a few songs I didn't like (Am I Going Insane?, Changes) I still have to give it credit for getting me really into my first band that wasn't Maiden.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 11-03-2010, 02:37 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Metallica - Ride the Lightning: The single most important album to me in terms of my musical tastes. I had heard Metallica before, but it didn't sound like this! I was originally going to buy Kill 'Em All but a friend convinced me to buy this album instead. I'm glad he did, I don't think Kill 'Em All would've had the same impact on me. When I popped that tape into my Walkman (lulz) and the guitars in Fight Fire With Fire swelled in, a thrash metal maniac was born.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid: Before I bought this album, I had only really listened to Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera and a few others. This made me realize metal didn't need to be played at breakneck speeds to be good. It also started me on my love affair with Sabbath. Without this album I never would have stumbled upon Dio.

COC - Deliverance: I saw a buddy in high school wearing a COC - Deliverance t-shirt and it looked cool so I decided I should buy the album. I'm glad I did, COC has become one of my favourite bands and it started me down a path that would lead to Kyuss, Down, Crowbar, etc.

The Tragically Hip - Day For Night: All the Birkenstock-wearing hippies at my high school hailed the Hip as gods, so it was natural for me to despise the Canadian rock icons. Too bad the music is actually good. This album in particular has a lot more going on than your standard rock album. There's a dark undertone to it that spoke to me when I was young and still speaks to me now.

Hendrix - The Ultimate Experience: I barely ever listen to Hendrix now but in high school this was the shit. I was stuck in a hospital bed for 11 days when I was 17 and the awesome soundscapes got me through a lot of it. I actually stole this CD from one of my best friends and still have it to this day, ha!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:57 AM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
they like to fuck turtles in their free time...sickos.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
I don't get why. I've been listening to Disturbed since I was 10 and haven't stopped.
i'm 19 and have been listening to Korn, Slipknot, and Linkin Park since i was 9. but mostly for nostalgia and definitely not as much. i pretty much deleted all the other nu metal bands off my library though.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

This record seemed like the fastest, darkest, most evil thing ever recorded when I first heard it. I was blown away by the aggression and I loved the fact that the record felt like pure evil to a naive 16 year old. This record gave me a new appreciation for fast tempos and dark lyrics. I actually intended to buy Reign in Blood that day at the record store but I thought my parents would find out that it had a parental guidance sticker on it and I'd get in a lot of trouble. So I bought the only Slayer album they had that didn't have that sticker.
AGREED COMRADE....Glad to see someone els whos life was changed by this magnificent album....

I still never forget the first time I heard war ensemble.....
11/14 - Slayer
Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 AM
N00B

Alice Cooper - Mascara and Monsters. I remembering watching Wayne's World and seeing Alice play Feed My Frankenstein. So I bought this album, and of course it was nothing like that song. After my inital disappointment, I listened to the album again and feel in love with it. And it preluded my love for bands like Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple. Alice Cooper was my starting point for classic rock/metal.

Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction. I was flipping through channels late one night and saw the video for Symphony of Destruction (on Much Loud). It was the best thing in the world to me at the time. This album got played constantly. All my love for Thrash and Metal started here.

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell. This was the first album I heard when I was starting to get into much heavier music. It was so much more intense then anything I had ever heard before.

Rush - A Farewell to Friends. I found this in my mom's collection one day. It changed my entire outlook on what rock/metal could be. Spawned my love of prog music.

Opeth - Blackwater park. My love of metal and prog combined into one band. I remember thinking this was the pinnacle of music. haha I became slightly obsessed with this album for months after first hearing it.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
I remember like it was yesterday. years and years ago a homie of mine blased an epic song in his car. It was like nothing I had ever heard of before and he told me the song was called C.R.E.A.M...l immediately went and bought the album at best buy with a gift card i had....surprisingly....I hated it....the only song I liked was bring da ruckus and cream but after a month or 2 it just grew on me(this was eons ago like 2004)and I have been a devoted wu tang fan ever since...I have Seen Wu Tang Clan 3 times in concert I have also seen almost all the members individually at there own headlining shows

*Ive seen GZA 3 times at his own shows all of them he played liquid swords in its entirety, I have seen raekwon and ghost do a gig 2gether, I seen raekwon 5 times at his own headlining show, last time i saw him was at a bar 5 min away from my house in august of 2009, the list goes on*

"WU TANG IS FOR THE CHILDREN" - Gza
Except that's an ODB quote.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:10 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Except that's an ODB quote.
Wu Tang is For the Children is also A Gza Quote. I saw him a at a show awhile back in 08 he was drunk off his ass screaming the word multiple times. Infact I think alot of the members use taht quote.....wait...

I thought you didn't like Wu Tang
11/14 - Slayer