Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Hammerween 2010 -- Kansas City, MO -- October 30th, 2010

Absolutely one of the best nights I've ever had, and it was by far the best performances I've ever seen of every band tonight. There were a ton of people there and it was so much fun.

Opening the show was The Cast Pattern. Last time I saw them was opening for Hate Eternal and The Black Dahlia murder and I really didn't like them, but my tastes have expanded since them and I found them much more tolerable this time. Parts of their set totally sounded like current good hardcore bands, like Terror, but it was still a bit too breakdown-y for my tastes. They had great energy, though!

The next band was Koktopus and they pulled out a great set. The vocalist was dressed as Jesus (only the beard was real!) and the bassist had a costume on as well. They went through stapled like Old Man River and Deathbed and another fantastic cover of Venom's Witching Hour. They ended their set by putting on Kiss masks and doing a Kiss cover and I am totally an X-generation child because I didn't know which song it was! But it was a great performance throughout!

The last time I saw At The Left Hand Of God was at the American Waste Festival last June and I think they take the prize for "Most Improved Band" since I last saw them, and they were good the last time I saw them! All their songs are really catchy and the guitarists and even the bassist have some serious skills. They played some new stuff and some old stuff and filmed the entire thing. A great performance and I'd love to see them again.

This is the first time I've seen Serated at a venue where I could actually hear them clearly and it made a huge difference. At the Riot Room their guitars were reduced to a wall of noise, but at the Beaumont I could hear all the groove and beats to their music and it really surprised me. What didn't surprise me is that their bassist is still a beast. Seriously, I think every Serated show should have a 10-minute bass solo in it. Dude is seriously talented. And thanks for the shout-out during your set, bro's!

The only band I'd never seen before tonight was Diskreet and it wouldn't be completely accurate to call them a band; they were more like a ball of pure energy set to death metal. The singer was covered in fake blood and bounding around the stage like a madman. Both the guitarists had some crazy solo's and the sound was magnificent all the way through. Diskreet just might be the biggest current local band from this area and man, they definitely deserve it.

My broseph's in Troglodyte absolutely laid waste to Kansas City tonight. They played a perfect setlist and they sounded fantastic. My favorites sounded great like Don't Go In The Woods and They Walk Among Us, but Hit By The Henderson's was insane. I almost wore myself completely out from headbanging too hard. A Madball cover and two GG Allin covers were thrown in for good measure and it was a devestating set.

It's Hammerween, so OF COURSE Hammerlord has to headline! Stevie was dressed up in a wrestler costume doing his best Macho Man Randy Savage impersonation and the smile never left my face. We all know by now that the instruments and the vocals for Hammerlord are mythical in a live setting, but you really have to see it to believe it. Screaming along with Tombstone Piledriver and Creating Destruction is always fun, but I think The Ballad Of Rusty Tomaski just might be my new favorite Hammerlord live song. It's just brutal. Best Hammerlord performance I've ever seen!

In the end, Hammerween (to me) was a huge success. There were a ton of people in attendance, every band was great, the people were great, and it really made me genuinely happy to know that the KC metal scene is like one big brotherhood. Bring on Hammerween 2k11!

The Cast Pattern included:

Shut Your Homeless Mouth

Koktopus included:

Old Man River
Deathbed
Witching Hour (Venom cover)

At The Left Hand Of God included:

From Coffins Choirs Rise
The Tears Of Blackmail Are Sweet

Diskreet included:

Infernal Throne
We Are Legion

Troglodyte included:

Troglodyte Rises
Don't Go In The Woods...
Skunk Ape Rape
Bite It You Scum (GG Allin cover)
Die When You Die (GG Allin cover)
Back Of The Bus (Madball cover)
Ric Flair's Hair
The Only Good Hippie Is A Dead Hippie
They Walk Among Us

Hammerlord included:

Creating Destruction
Storm The Castle
Demon Fever
Tombstone Piledriver
The Ballad Of Rusty Tomaski
Dead City Radio
Wolves At War's End
Halloween (Misfits cover)

The Cast Pattern: 6/10
Koktopus: 8/10
At The Left Hand Of God: 8.5/10
Serated: 7/10
Diskreet: 9/10
Troglodyte: 10/10
Hammerlord: 10/10
10/05 - Macabre
10/07 - Knuckle Puck

Last edited by mankvill; 10-30-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:35 PM

SUPER SPECIAL FOR METALSETLISTS.COM'S EYES ONLY EXTRA POST!

Here's some stories that I think are interesting:

1. During Hammerlord, near the end of their set, this girl got between me and the stage and made me grope her and she in turn groped my johnson and I was like damn bitch. She was kind of hot, but she had a sleeve tattoo and was wearing fairy wings so she probably had AIDs.

2. This one takes some backstory:

Okay, so I saw the band Serated back in September and I didn't really like them, but I gave them a review and I didn't really say anything negative. Hell, I said they have one of the best bass players I've ever seen! Well, a few weeks ago at Early Man they were like "this one's for all the reviewer's in the crowd!" and sang a song that said "FUCK YOU!" a bunch. Meh. It was whatever. But tonight took the cake. They called me out by "name" (mankvill) and were like "I HOPE IT SOUNDS OKAY, MANKVILL" and between songs they said "Thanks again to Serated's favorite reviewer, sorry I'm not wearing my Ben Folds Five shirt" and when he said the BFF bit I lost my shit from laughing so much. Jeff from Trog was like "OOH MAN, SICK BURN, HE GOT YOU." Nothing against Serated, they actually sounded better tonight, but come on, man. There's no such thing as bad press.

Oh, and big shout out to Nick_To_The_Face! Glad you could make it to the party!
10/05 - Macabre
10/07 - Knuckle Puck
Old 10-31-2010, 09:37 PM
The best part of waking up, is Satan in your cup

Another song played by Troglodyte was Bring Me The Head of Big Foot..not that it matters haha..

Anyway man this was a badass show! to bad the pit was ruined during Hammerlord, everyone was getting into fights way to much hostility..

By the way.. I did NOt LIKE Serated, they sound like wanna be Mushroomhead..they sucked imo
Old 10-31-2010, 10:51 PM

Jeff, the vocalist from Trog, will be coming to Lawrence soon to finish up the final tracks for their new album and he said he'll give me a ring so maybe I'll get a scoop on when all that will happen.

He was telling me how he's friends with the guys in Repulsion and he went to California to see them open for Brujeria and he got to meet Jeff Walker!
10/05 - Macabre
10/07 - Knuckle Puck
Old 11-01-2010, 07:01 AM

Thats badass. So i'm curious..why the hell aren't these guys bigget than they are. Diskreet, Troglodyte, and Hammerlord were fucking great and it seems like they should be big...but yet we have bands like We Butter Our Bread With Butter and I Wrestled A Bear Once that are....
Old 11-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_to_the_face View Post
Thats badass. So i'm curious..why the hell aren't these guys bigget than they are. Diskreet, Troglodyte, and Hammerlord were fucking great and it seems like they should be big...but yet we have bands like We Butter Our Bread With Butter and I Wrestled A Bear Once that are....
Scene kids don't like real metal!

They're getting there. Diskreet actually has done some extensive touring. They toured with Necrophagist in Europe one summer.
10/05 - Macabre
10/07 - Knuckle Puck
Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Scene kids don't like real metal!

They're getting there. Diskreet actually has done some extensive touring. They toured with Necrophagist in Europe one summer.
Nice. Does Necrophagist even come close to here ever?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_to_the_face View Post
Nice. Does Necrophagist even come close to here ever?
Silly wabbit. They've been on several Summer Slaughter tours, for one.

@ Manks, I hope this thing between you and Serated (which is a misspelling, by the way - don't know if that's intentional on their part or whatever - just sayin') turns into the next Unocore story. If these guys can't seem to get over their bitchy little passive-aggressive whining, I say you start playing Stratego at their gigs, and throwing the little game pieces up on the stage.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Silly wabbit. They've been on several Summer Slaughter tours, for one.
I meant as in Kansas City >.>
Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Summer Slaughter doesn't come anywhere near you guys?

Tags
at the left hand of god, diskreet, hammerlord, koktopus, serated, the cast pattern, troglodyte