Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Old 09-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

New Bring Me The Horizon

Because "Bring Me The Horizon - There Is A Hell Believe Me I've Seen It, There Is A Heaven Let's Keep It A Secret" is too long of a thread title.

Track by track:

Crucify Me (feat. Lights)

Is this the right album? Yep, it's the new BMTH album and they are trying their damndest to leave behind the deathcore sound, both in music and in vocals. A few melodic guitar licks here and there in this opening track set the foundation for (most of) the album. Also the use of electronics, vocal distortions and clean female vocals. Lights adds a pretty good element to this song, and I'm so glad Oli Sykes doesn't try to shriek or do guttural vocals a lot on this album, he was never good at either of them. Track 1 has a good groove and shows a more mature band. 8/10

Anthem

For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction, right? The second track sounds like it could regress to BMTH's old, tired deathcore style, but it teeters along the correct edge of that line. Here comes a little taste of just how Oli hasn't advanced one bit as a metal vocalist. This song sounds like a B-Side from their last album. "Get the fuck up" should never be in any song ever. 6/10

It Never Ends

This track is amazing. Synths, catchy melodies, and one of the greatest "good" breakdowns I've heard in recent years. If the whole album was full of tracks like these, there might be some hope to save the current generation of scene kids from further drifting down the dark path. The lyrics on this one are pretty good as well. Anyone who listens to this song and says it sounds like Bring Me The Horizon is a liar. 10/10

Fuck (featuring Josh Franceschi of You Me at Six)

With a title like "Fuck", you think this would just be a gimmicky song for the crowds to scream along with, but it turns out it holds a little bit more depth than that. First of all, the music is one of the most breakneck songs on this album with a great melody and the clean vocals by the guy from You Me At Six work pretty well. Stereotypical faux-brutal breakdown, but everything else in the song sounds pretty good. By the end of the song, it sounds like the track is split into 2 very different parts, almost. 7.5/10

Don't Go (feat. Lights)

A Bring Me The Horizon ballad? This is probably the closest the world will ever get. "God forgive me for all my sins/God forgive me" is going to piss off a lot of scenesters, but the song actually isn't all that bad. If any sense of emotion in lyrics makes you scream "OMG EMO!" then go ahead and skip this song. The Lights portion almost seems more like a duet than featuring her. "Tell me that you need me 'cause I love you so much." Oli Sykes writing emotionally evoking prose, or amateur LiveJournal poetry? Make up your own mind. 7.5/10

Home Sweet Hole

Second best song on the album. Clean guitars (almost akin in sound to Explosions In The Sky *GASP BLASPHEMY*) really make this track. It's a non-stop attack, even during the "slow" parts. Should satisfy fans of AFI, In Flames and Pantera. There's even a fucking acoustic guitar at the end. 9/10

Alligator Blood

Shit. I was just beginning to think we'd escaped the BMTH of old. The same boring, downtuned -core riff plays throughout this entire song. This one's going to make the "tr00" fans of the band happy, but it's definitely a step back, especially from the pretty good tracks that preceded it. Protip: you don't have to shove the fact that you're trying to be brutal in someone's face to prove that your music is brutal. 4/10

Visions

Is Alligator Blood still going on, or what? This song starts out sounding exactly like the previous song, and it pretty much stays that way. Same down-tuning, same "riffs", same breakdown. C'mon, we were doing so good...4/10

Blacklist

Again, we start off with the same down-tuned breakdown shit. Going for a hat trick, are we? This track, somehow, is even more boring than the two before it. Cut this shit out! 3/10

Memorial

Just an instrumental track that segue's pretty nicely into the penultimate track, but it's a welcome respite from the garbage that followed it. The organ with the nice drum beat and soft guitar sound sounds more akin to a post-rock band than BMTH. Surprising. 8/10

Blessed With A Curse

Electronic overtones kick off the second-to-last track with an "epic" vibe to the song, continuing some of the style from the instrumental track before it. It explodes, only to revert back to just vocals + piano and a drum beat. Surprising stuff from them. Maturity? Well, it's better than their last albums. A guitar solo! 7.5/10

The Fox And The Wolf (feat. Josh Scogin of The Chariot)

Thought it was over? Nope, and this track clocks in as a sonic facepunch under two minutes in length. It's the closest BMTH have gotten to thrash and it actually isn't too bad. I couldn't really tell you where Josh Scogin (who did vocals on the first AND BEST Norma Jean album) does vox on this one, but it all sounds really, really good. Will leave you with your blood pumping. 9/10

Final words:

Will this album win over earlier skeptics and critics? Well, it won me over. I'm not saying I think Bring Me The Horizon is a legitimate musical act that can write good "heavy music" just yet, but they're certainly headed in the right direction. Let's put it this way: I think this album will lose them a lot of worthless fans, but gain a few good fans. They haven't quite matured enough to write a modern metalcore masterpiece just yet, but give them at least one more album to iron out the kinks. I just hope they continue down this path. Deathcore has lost one of its kings.

Overall: 7.5/10

And now:

09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 09-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

GODDAMNIT MANKS
Old 09-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Altars of Radness

We need to save him before he starts writing favorable reviews for Emmure.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

I never thought I would see the day where mankvill was writing a review for a BMTH record. Personally I loathe BMTH but props for checking out their record and giving them another chance.

I personally feel like I am going to hear this record against my will(like the past 2 BMTH records) because a few of my friends love them.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Actually, the one person on this board whom I start wouldn't agree with me has just posted a review agreeing with me! Haha, from what I've heard on Suicide Season, this band are definitely moving away from trying to be deathcore, and this album really accentuates that. The seeds they sowed on Suicide Season are starting to flourish, lets just hope they don't lose momentum.

Also, am I the only one here who had to give these guys a chance cuz the chick he was dating at the time LOVED them? Just checkin'..
Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
I never thought I would see the day where mankvill was writing a review for a BMTH record. Personally I loathe BMTH but props for checking out their record and giving them another chance.

I personally feel like I am going to hear this record against my will(like the past 2 BMTH records) because a few of my friends love them.
this. everything. except i think i'm actually going to give this album a chance. i didn't like the last 2 albums, but i still thought this band honestly had a lot of potential.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 09-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Custom User Title

I thought you were the truest person on this forum. Fuck you. I just lost a role model, I'm going to go into a closet and cry.

Seriously, what have they moved from deathcore to? Metalcore? Crabcore?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Altars of Radness

Metalcore now.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:53 PM
...the dead are among us!

medio-core
10/3 - Prosanctus Inferi / Horrendous
Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Altars of Radness

Well I listened to about half the songs on the album to see if it was good. It's definitely a step up from the previous works, but aside from a few catchy riffs I felt pretty bored. "It Never Ends" is probably the best song on the album, but it didn't wow me.