Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014

Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Avid Taco Bell Fan

Helmet -- Casper, WY -- September 21st, 2010

Helmet, Bison B.C. & Faisst
September 21st, 2010
The Downtown Grill & Venue - Casper, WY

For the 1st time, I'm reviewing a show that I performed at. My band Faisst found out the night before the show that we were going to share the stage with Helmet & Bison B.C. We would've known a week and a half sooner, but our lead singer was drunk at the bar when the promoter told him we were on the bill. Luckily the show was the same night as band practice, so everything fell into place. We arrived at The Downtown Grill a little after 5 for load-in, getting to see Helmet sound check. As I watched the band get their sound honed in, I saw a group of guys who have fun playing music. Obviously it's more of a "Paige Hamilton and his band" line-up rather then Helmet, but nonetheless, they all seemed to mesh during their run-throughs.

My band Faisst started the show off around 8:30, I know you aren't reading this review for the bio of my band, so here's the setlist we played:

Faisst
Red Rings of Death
Generic Jenga
Stimpy
Snarf
Lycanthropy
Unlucky 13th
Spoon Journey

Next up was Bison B.C. from Vancouver, Canada. I wasn't too familiar with their material, I've listened to them a few times with a friend and I dug their stuff. It's pretty easy to compare them to Mastodon, especially when the members of the band have Mastodon-esque beards along with their prog-metalish tunes. A guy next to me in front commented "Did you laugh too when the drummer set up his set?" and I just told him looks aren't everything. Although their gear was beat-up and very worn, they proved that looks don't dictate performance. I don't know their set at all, but it was all really solid. I'll be checking them out in the near future.

After Bison B.C. was Helmet. The guys all came out in cowboy dress-up shirts they bought across the street at Lou Taubert's. Paige told the crowd his grandfather shopped there long ago. Here's their set:

Helmet
Role Model
So Long
Birth Defect
Welcome To Algiers
See You Dead
Ironhead
White City
In Person
Driving Nowhere
Unsung
Seeing Eye Dog
Wilma's Rainbow
Milquetoast
-----Encore-----
In The Meantime
Bad Mood
Just Another Victim
Better

Pretty solid set. Other than overlooking Exactly What You Wanted and being a heavy on Seeing Eye Dog (as expected), their set was a good variety. This was their 1st time performing in Wyoming, and I hope it isn't their last. I've been playing drums in Faisst for almost 5 years now, and it was truly an honor to share the stage with both bands. Especially growing up listening to Helmet over the years. An experience that I will remember fondly for the rest of my days.
7/5/2019 - Iron Buffalo

Last edited by Skinny Juice; 09-22-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Headbanger

Cool review. I like seeing Helmet mix it up a little. Would like to hear Bad Mood when I see them.

Tags
bison bc, faisst, helmet