Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

  #21  
Old 08-22-2010, 05:31 PM
ChildrenofSodom's Avatar
ChildrenofSodom ChildrenofSodom is offline
Regretting my username
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 12,259
Blog Entries: 1
If someone sends me the albums online, I'll listen. I ain't spending no money.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-22-2010, 05:36 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post

Here's my theory/opinion on Bruce's vocals: His age means that he doesn't have the range and power he once had. That's obvious. However, he can still sound amazing as long as he doesn't try to push it too far. IMO, Dance of Death was when the strain began to show. However, he sounded as good as ever on Tyranny of Souls, which came later. My theory? On his solo albums, he has more control over the songwriting and recording process, and therefore more control over changing the songs to fit his new range. On the Maiden albums, I think Steve and Kevin Shirley have more power over those things, and may push Bruce to do things with his voice that he just can't do anymore.
This is definitely all true. He sounds better on Tyranny than any of the reunion Maiden albums (oddly I think he sounds best on DOD of those, but that may just be because it's my favorite). Steve is writing whatthefuckever he wants and not really considering Bruce's age.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Blitzkrieg Witchcraft's Avatar
Blitzkrieg Witchcraft Blitzkrieg Witchcraft is offline
Play it loud, don't play it low
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,565
I like a handful of Bruce's solo stuff. Namely Tears of the Dragon, Tattooed Millionaire, Dark side of Aquarius and Trumpets of Jericho, but on the whole, I much prefer him in Maiden.
__________________
2/23: Metal Church
3/21: Carcass
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-22-2010, 07:08 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
I motion that the board moves to ban cameron until hes heard those two albums, all in favor?
No because I haven't heard all of Accident of Birth either. Just the stuff that showed up on The best of.

For that matter, I only consistently listen to the first half of Chemical Wedding. I guess I've tried in the past, but Book of Thel is so fucking awesome, I'm just tapped out after that.

Here's my bold statement (although it's completely unoriginal): Well produced, no Demonaz on guitar Immortal >> unproduced with Demonaz on guitar Immortal.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"

Last edited by JRA; 08-22-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,928
I generally agree with Brad's original statement. I think Bruce's best vocal performance of his career is on the album Accident of Birth.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Yay.

Here's my theory/opinion on Bruce's vocals: His age means that he doesn't have the range and power he once had. That's obvious. However, he can still sound amazing as long as he doesn't try to push it too far. IMO, Dance of Death was when the strain began to show. However, he sounded as good as ever on Tyranny of Souls, which came later. My theory? On his solo albums, he has more control over the songwriting and recording process, and therefore more control over changing the songs to fit his new range. On the Maiden albums, I think Steve and Kevin Shirley have more power over those things, and may push Bruce to do things with his voice that he just can't do anymore.
100% agreed. I've been saying this for some time.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-24-2010, 05:29 PM
EvilCheeseWedge's Avatar
EvilCheeseWedge EvilCheeseWedge is offline
The Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,523
I think Bruce's solo work from the 90s (especially Accident of Birth/The Chemical Wedding - although I have a huge soft spot for Skunkworks) is some of his best stuff. Period.

In terms of performances, songwriting, diversity, etc.

Plus there's just so many little gems like "Darkness Be My Friend" in his solo career.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheese View Post
I think Bruce's solo work from the 90s (especially Accident of Birth/The Chemical Wedding - although I have a huge soft spot for Skunkworks) is some of his best stuff. Period.

In terms of performances, songwriting, diversity, etc.

Plus there's just so many little gems like "Darkness Be My Friend" in his solo career.
I don't think anyone is gonna argue with that.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Sanitarium78's Avatar
Sanitarium78 Sanitarium78 is offline
Concert Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheese View Post
I think Bruce's solo work from the 90s (especially Accident of Birth/The Chemical Wedding - although I have a huge soft spot for Skunkworks) is some of his best stuff. Period.

In terms of performances, songwriting, diversity, etc.
Agreed. Except for Skunkworks i'm not sure what Bruce was trying to accomplish with that

I'm gonna make a bold statement here as well and say except for BNW i'll take AOB and TCW over all the Maiden reunion albums.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 AM
EvilCheeseWedge's Avatar
EvilCheeseWedge EvilCheeseWedge is offline
The Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Agreed. Except for Skunkworks i'm not sure what Bruce was trying to accomplish with that

I'm gonna make a bold statement here as well and say except for BNW i'll take AOB and TCW over all the Maiden reunion albums.
I think he was just trying to establish a band that wasn't a solo band nor Iron Maiden. I know a lot of people don't like it, but there are a handful of songs on Skunkworks I really enjoy.

I'm gonna second your bold statement
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008