Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Old 08-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Regretting my username

If someone sends me the albums online, I'll listen. I ain't spending no money.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:36 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post

Here's my theory/opinion on Bruce's vocals: His age means that he doesn't have the range and power he once had. That's obvious. However, he can still sound amazing as long as he doesn't try to push it too far. IMO, Dance of Death was when the strain began to show. However, he sounded as good as ever on Tyranny of Souls, which came later. My theory? On his solo albums, he has more control over the songwriting and recording process, and therefore more control over changing the songs to fit his new range. On the Maiden albums, I think Steve and Kevin Shirley have more power over those things, and may push Bruce to do things with his voice that he just can't do anymore.
This is definitely all true. He sounds better on Tyranny than any of the reunion Maiden albums (oddly I think he sounds best on DOD of those, but that may just be because it's my favorite). Steve is writing whatthefuckever he wants and not really considering Bruce's age.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Play it loud, don't play it low

I like a handful of Bruce's solo stuff. Namely Tears of the Dragon, Tattooed Millionaire, Dark side of Aquarius and Trumpets of Jericho, but on the whole, I much prefer him in Maiden.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
I motion that the board moves to ban cameron until hes heard those two albums, all in favor?
No because I haven't heard all of Accident of Birth either. Just the stuff that showed up on The best of.

For that matter, I only consistently listen to the first half of Chemical Wedding. I guess I've tried in the past, but Book of Thel is so fucking awesome, I'm just tapped out after that.

Here's my bold statement (although it's completely unoriginal): Well produced, no Demonaz on guitar Immortal >> unproduced with Demonaz on guitar Immortal.

Last edited by JRA; 08-22-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:35 PM
In Search of Truth

I generally agree with Brad's original statement. I think Bruce's best vocal performance of his career is on the album Accident of Birth.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:38 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Yay.

Here's my theory/opinion on Bruce's vocals: His age means that he doesn't have the range and power he once had. That's obvious. However, he can still sound amazing as long as he doesn't try to push it too far. IMO, Dance of Death was when the strain began to show. However, he sounded as good as ever on Tyranny of Souls, which came later. My theory? On his solo albums, he has more control over the songwriting and recording process, and therefore more control over changing the songs to fit his new range. On the Maiden albums, I think Steve and Kevin Shirley have more power over those things, and may push Bruce to do things with his voice that he just can't do anymore.
100% agreed. I've been saying this for some time.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:29 PM
The Cheese

I think Bruce's solo work from the 90s (especially Accident of Birth/The Chemical Wedding - although I have a huge soft spot for Skunkworks) is some of his best stuff. Period.

In terms of performances, songwriting, diversity, etc.

Plus there's just so many little gems like "Darkness Be My Friend" in his solo career.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheese View Post
I think Bruce's solo work from the 90s (especially Accident of Birth/The Chemical Wedding - although I have a huge soft spot for Skunkworks) is some of his best stuff. Period.

Plus there's just so many little gems like "Darkness Be My Friend" in his solo career.
I don't think anyone is gonna argue with that.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheese View Post

Agreed. Except for Skunkworks i'm not sure what Bruce was trying to accomplish with that

I'm gonna make a bold statement here as well and say except for BNW i'll take AOB and TCW over all the Maiden reunion albums.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Agreed. Except for Skunkworks i'm not sure what Bruce was trying to accomplish with that

I'm gonna make a bold statement here as well and say except for BNW i'll take AOB and TCW over all the Maiden reunion albums.
I think he was just trying to establish a band that wasn't a solo band nor Iron Maiden. I know a lot of people don't like it, but there are a handful of songs on Skunkworks I really enjoy.

I'm gonna second your bold statement