Municipal Waste -- Echo Park, CA -- July 25th, 2014
Masked Intruder -- Kansas City, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Machine Head -- Springfield, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014

Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Avid Taco Bell Fan

Volbeat -- Denver, CO -- August 22nd, 2010

VOLBEAT (Copenhagen, DEN) w/ Special Guests: Dommin (L.A.) & Anew Revolution (Austin, TX)

Ahhh, my 1st pilgrimage to a Denver concert this summer. I'm glad I saved this one for my last summer show. I didn't know how many other bands there would be when I bought my tickets (which were only $16 with charges! Helluva deal!). Turned out there were two openers, which I think was a fair amount. Both openers played about 30 min. sets. I was excited to see Anew Revolution on the bill. I work at a radio station and we play a couple of their tunes regularly. Anyhow, I don't know all of it, but here's what I got...

Anew Revolution (7.5/10)

?
?
Done
?
Head Against the Wall
Killing Me

Not 100% on the order, but I really liked them. I thought they were pretty good. They had a ton of energy and were moving all over the place and getting the crowd going. I can see this band going places, they had some solid tunes and an entertaining set. I personally thought they should've played 2nd and the other band should've played 1st. Which brings me to the 2nd band, Dommin.

I thought it was odd when the members came out dressed up like a wedding band that did Elvis covers. I honestly thought they were foreign, so I kinda let the roses on the mic stands and weird appearance go on the fact they were from Europe. After the 2nd song (and all the girls around the front singing along) they announced they were from L.A. At that point, there was no excuse for these guys to be opening for Volbeat (in my eyes), or even playing after Anew Revolution. They played that "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight" cover, bleck. I didn't care for them one bit. 5/10 because they could play, but the music they played wasn't my cup of tea. It was like a cheap, Elvis-y H.I.M. Just because they do the Elvis hair like Michael from Volbeat doesn't mean they should be on tour together.

After Dommin, came the breath of fresh air. VOLBEAT! It was unreal to me seeing them in such an intimate venue as the Marquis Theater (small club, probably less than 700 capacity). Their 1st performance EVER in Denver. Although I originally intended on not finding a setlist from another show, temptation go the best of me and I scoped out other sets. I was 2nd row from front (which was really close considering how small the venue is) so when they taped the setlist down in front of me, stage right, I glanced and saw it was the same as the previous shows. An excellent mix of their discography thus far in their career. Around 10 or so, the lights went down and they had an Elvis song play as their intro before their set and sold-out crowd went NUTS!

Volbeat (9.5/10)
The Human Instrument
Radio Girl
Sad Man's Tongue
Hallelujah Goat
Mary Ann's Place
Fallen (New Song)
I Only Want to Be With You (Dusty Springfield cover)
Boa
Pool of Booze, Booze, Booza
Rebel Monster
Caroline Leaving
Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood
River Queen
----Encore----
Angelfuck (Misfits cover)
The Garden's Tale
Still Counting

The band was tight, solid and they were having a blast! They dedicated Sad Man's Tongue to Johnny Cash & Ronnie James Dio. They teased the Holy Diver riff a little bit towards the end of the tune. During the set in-between song, the guys were loose enough that they would just start jamming on random tunes. Beginning riffs from Slayer's South of Heaven & Raining Blood, Metallica's "Shortest Straw" and other songs were randomly jammed on. All members were smiling and having a lot of fun. I anticipated Angelfuck because I had seen setlists from other shows, so I wore my Misfists shirt to the show. When they came back out for the encore, I held it up and they acknowledged a friend and I in our Misfits shirts and they asked us to get crazy, but not too crazy. My drunk friend wanted a setlist after their set, so he rushed the stage, ripped up the setlist as he got punched in the face by a road crew guy and he dove back into the crowd and hit the floor with a thud. But he got that setlist! The road crew guy talked to us after the show and even took a picture with my friend.

The band told everyone to stick around and they would all come back out in 20 mins and meet everyone and they were all men of their words. We met them, got all them to sign our tickets and took pictures with Michael Poulson. It's great to see such a talented band still humble and grateful towards their fans. This was one of the best shows I've seen all year, in my all-time top 10. I'll make the 4 hour trip down to Denver next time they come back. I see this band breaking out with their next album "Beyond Heaven/Above Hell". It's been years since a band has captivated me like these guys do. I hope they come back very soon.
7/5/2019 - Iron Buffalo
Old 08-24-2010, 07:48 AM
N00B

Good review - can't imagine wyoming gets too many shows?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the lightsaber.

Sounds like an awesome show, I would love to see these guys live eventually.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Avid Taco Bell Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
Good review - can't imagine wyoming gets too many shows?
You are fairly correct. I live in Casper though, and if there are any shows in WYO, they are usually here. I could have booked Volbeat here in Casper for tonight (Aug 24th) but The Carnival of Madness w/ Shinedown, Chevelle, Puddle of Crap, Sevendust & 10 Years is in town. So I didn't book them. I play in a metal band in town, and we have a surprisingly decent local band scene. Just not too many concerts/shows. Usually a good one every couple of months. I usually make 3 or 4 trips to Denver a year to take in shows.
7/5/2019 - Iron Buffalo

Tags
anew revolution, dommin, volbeat