Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-06-2010, 04:55 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Hmmm...this post seems oddly familiar.

What a coincidence that this bot - er, guy - had the EXACT same experience in Brooklyn.

Still think this guy's post is interesting and original, jhdeity?
Do a "view all posts by this user"
Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
Do a "view all posts by this user"
Oh, I know...hence my "bot" comment. Obviously this is an automated post type of thing. What kinda funny is how out of those four nearly identical posts, the one that was for the Cleveland show is the one that has the tagline "PRIMUS SUCKS @Brooklyn NYC in Front-Row" and the three posts in the two Brooklyn threads don't reference it at all.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Cool review man. I really respect your passion and outright obsession for Fisticuffs. That song never possessed me like that but I still enjoy it. I'm more that way over John the Fisherman...
I have a sexy little surprise for you right here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidis138 View Post
damn this long wait I have! mr. krinkle?! fisticuffs?!
...and I have two sexy little surprises for you - right here and right here.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
Oh, I know...hence my "bot" comment. Obviously this is an automated post type of thing. What kinda funny is how out of those four nearly identical posts, the one that was for the Cleveland show is the one that has the tagline "PRIMUS SUCKS @Brooklyn NYC in Front-Row" and the three posts in the two Brooklyn threads don't reference it at all.
he has Primus listed in his favorite bands.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Here are links to two more videos. Links have already been posted for the other videos I've uploaded.

Tweekers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_9kw...eature=channel

Over the Falls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o21Si...eature=channel
Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 AM
We're dying on the inside

I tried once again to get into this band thanks to Nat's raving. I respect what you get out of them, but dude, I just can't do it. I get the Clutch comparison, that both bands have their goofy, tongue-in-cheek, and yes, "obnoxious" moments, but when Clutch sing "Oo ee oo ah ah B-I-N-G-O, oo ee oo ah ah E-I-E-I-O", the delivery is Neil's awesome roar, and the music behind it fucking rocks harder than balls. I feel like Primus wants to be weird, so Les decided to make the instruments and his voice sound as weird as possible. And it is weird, he succeded. But it's just not fun to listen to for me, at all. Sorry Natty, I tried.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I tried once again to get into this band thanks to Nat's raving. I respect what you get out of them, but dude, I just can't do it. I get the Clutch comparison, that both bands have their goofy, tongue-in-cheek, and yes, "obnoxious" moments, but when Clutch sing "Oo ee oo ah ah B-I-N-G-O, oo ee oo ah ah E-I-E-I-O", the delivery is Neil's awesome roar, and the music behind it fucking rocks harder than balls. I feel like Primus wants to be weird, so Les decided to make the instruments and his voice sound as weird as possible. And it is weird, he succeded. But it's just not fun to listen to for me, at all. Sorry Natty, I tried.
Yeah, I can respect that. I've said it many times before - you either love PRIMUS or you hate 'em - there's really no in between. You're right, Clutch hits you very differently than PRIMUS does, and that is most definitely by design. Having said this, I don't particularly think Les is trying to be different just for the sake of being different, I just think he's just a seriously eccentric dude who is doing exactly what he wants to do, regardless of how it sells or how people react to it. It just so happens that a lot of folks "get it", and those are his fans - and I think he's fine with that.

Hell, I appreciate that you even tried. Big ups for being open-minded enough to do even that. Chances are, if you haven't been bitten by the Les Claypool bug by now (see photo below), you probably never will.

EDIT: By the way, what did you listen to? I could have suggested a "Best of" list...

Last edited by Natrlhi; 08-06-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
EDIT: By the way, what did you listen to? I could have suggested a "Best of" list...
Played through some hits I was vaguely familiar with (John the Fisherman, My Name is Mud, Winona, Jerry) and played Fisticuffs because you seem to like it so much. Fisticuffs was my favorite but it still didn't really move me. I can appreciate how good they are, and I'm sure the way I feel about Geddy Lee could be 'd by people who feel the same way about Les. Comes down to taste is all.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Played through some hits I was vaguely familiar with (John the Fisherman, My Name is Mud, Winona, Jerry) and played Fisticuffs because you seem to like it so much. Fisticuffs was my favorite but it still didn't really move me. I can appreciate how good they are, and I'm sure the way I feel about Geddy Lee could be 'd by people who feel the same way about Les. Comes down to taste is all.
Well, those are some of the campier songs for sure. Not that all PRIMUS isn't campy to some degree, but to be honest I really don't even like Wynona all that much. I mean, it's OK. Jerry is OK, too - but it has been played like a bazillion times. I could see people being sick of it. Mud is pretty awesome - mainly because it really features Les's slap-style of playing, which is just so damn good. John is also a "classic" by PRIMUS fan standards, but I can see why it wouldn't appeal to some folks.

Tell you what - I'd be willing to throw together a "listen to this here shit" list if you'd be interested in running through it just once. You might find some stuff worth liking after all. It's up to you.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Well, those are some of the campier songs for sure. Not that all PRIMUS isn't campy to some degree, but to be honest I really don't even like Wynona all that much. I mean, it's OK. Jerry is OK, too - but it has been played like a bazillion times. I could see people being sick of it. Mud is pretty awesome - mainly because it really features Les's slap-style of playing, which is just so damn good. John is also a "classic" by PRIMUS fan standards, but I can see why it wouldn't appeal to some folks.

Tell you what - I'd be willing to throw together a "listen to this here shit" list if you'd be interested in running through it just once. You might find some stuff worth liking after all. It's up to you.
It might not do any good, but tell ya what, go for it. You've piqued my interest.

Tags
primus