8. Jerry was a Racecar Driver
9. Over the Electric Grapevine
10. Drum Solo / Whamola jam
11. Eleven
12. Harold of the Rocks
13. Southbound Pachyderm
14. Tommy the Cat > The Awakening > Tommy

Source: Me

So after seeing FNM at Williamsburg, I raved about the venue being the best of all time and had to bring some N00bs to Primus to prove it to them. We get there and Golgol is playing. These guys are from NY and being that they're in Williamsburg, it was maximum hipster capacity. I mean there were even douchebags wearing designer Dr. Dre headphones around their necks. This was frightening to be around but would prove to be very deceiving.

When FNM played, the pit was me and six other people. It wasn't really a pit. I got right up front with no effort, and went apeshit the entire show using people as a launch pad for my jumping at times. I had to interuptions in my going off: I did whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and I was 20 feet from the band. Conversely, the Primus show was the intense and very rough. They also sold about twice as many tix for the Primus show so it was fuckin PACKED. When Golgol finished there was a mass exodus of hipsters and we just walked up front no problem. I thought I was in for another easy show. I must have smoked too much because I've been to Primus shows (all in NYC) and they get fucking crazy!

If you haven't been to a Primus show, here's the drill: lots of jumping and weird dancing. There are times where if you aren't jumping, you will die. It's wild.

So, here are you highlights ladies and gentlemen:

Opening with Pudding Time was bad fucking ass. That just set the place off.
Jay Lane: I've seen this guy before, but it was really special to see the "original" drummer up there, and he absolutely killed it. This guy have looked like Dave Navaro, but he was a beast on the skins.
Sgt. Baker>American Life: It's easy to bitch about setlists when you're not at the show (although I do question the merits of people who want to hear Wynona of all songs) but when you get this combo, it doesn't fucking matter if they play the Space Jam soundtrack after...your night is made.
Tommy The Cat>Awakening: There is no way this can be topped. Period. You've heard Rhinoplasty and thought "wow that would be sweet!" Wrong! It's what sweet wants to be when it grows up.
The Pit: I've been to many many many shows of violent nature, but this was in the top ten roughest, most grueling shows I've ever been to. The thing about NYC mosh pits is that there are people there who may not know the band that well, but just show up to go off. This made RATM pit at Randall's Island in 07 look like tea time with the queen.
Claypool Mentions Posessed: Les did some fake shredding on his bass and then asked Ler if it reminded him of his days in Posessed. I yelled out "Seven Churches" only to be glared at by a bunch of morons. This part made my night because Lalonde never really acknowledges his death metal past.

Overall this show was fantastic. Immediately after I was asked which show was better and I had to pick FNM but that was a totally different kind of show. Primus slays, and that's all there is to it!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Headbanger

Cool review. I'm still shocked they don't play John the Fisherman or My Name is Mud. Those songs will NEVER get old to me. Personally I love Sgt. Baker and Here come the Bastards. Glad to see both played.

I commented about Wynona in another thread because no matter where I am or what I'm doing after he spews the lines Wynona loved her big brown beaver and she stroked him all the time. She pricked her finger one day and it occurred to her she might have a porcupine... I go completely and utterly apeshit. It goes from comedy to brutality in 2 seconds. One of my favorite things about Primus.

I seriously need to see these guys again. It's been too long...
Old 08-02-2010, 06:11 AM
A Pathetic. Excuse. For a Human Being.

Good point about Wynona's Big Brown Beaver. I totally agree about John and Mud as well especially because my name translates into that in another language!

The thing about Claypool is that he does so much solo shit I really treasure seeing Primus. I've seen him solo and you never know what you'll get. Will he even have a guitarist? Will he play Primus songs? And if so will he play stupid cover versions, or stay true to them and kick ass? I've like one solo set I've seen out of three. On the contrary, I've never seen a Primus show I didn't absolutely love. The best one was when they played Sailing the Seas in its entirety at Roseland.

BTW the night after this show at a festival, Primus busted out some Pink Floyd (In The Flesh)! Their setlist was great as well. You can see it at .fm.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

No more John the Fisherman.

My Name is Mud...has suddenly vanished from the set.
Mr. Krinkle...is no longer anywhere to be seen.
In fact, there is no Pork Soda at all in the above set!!!

The sets are getting shorter...and other classics are disapearing from the set left and right!

...and FISTICUFFS HASN'T BEEN TO THE PARTY SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THIS TOUR!!!

What the fuck is going on here?

Also, I'd like a clarirfication here. Are they playing Pudding Time, or Puddin' Taine? I personally prefer the latter, even though it isn't from Frizzle Fry and therefore a "tr00" PRIMUS classic (give me almost any other song on that album any day, though - where are To Defy the Laws of Tradition, Mr. Knowitall, Too Many Puppies and especially TOYS?!?).

And one more thing - one song from Punchbowl is enough. Leave Pachyderm in if you have to, but kill Grapevine. Please. If these songs are keeping the above classics out of the set, then fuck them. I need more of the first three albums, please.

AND BRING OUT FUCKING FISTICUFFS!!!!

(Having whined about all of the above, I am still quite sure tomorrow night will be fucking golden regardless...I'm just being admittedly greedy here.)

Last edited by Natrlhi; 08-02-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 AM
not the mama

^ it was the Frizzle Fry Pudding Time
Old 08-02-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
^ it was the Frizzle Fry Pudding Time
Ah, OK.

Well, like I said, they're both cool. That's the least of my worries. I just need to hear some Pork Soda and some more older shit or I am going to fucking jack somebody.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 AM
PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
No more John the Fisherman.

My Name is Mud...has suddenly vanished from the set.
Mr. Krinkle...is no longer anywhere to be seen.
Yeah, I'm going tomorrow too and I was really hoping for these three, especially My Name is Mud. I've never seen Primus and HAVE TO HEAR IT LIVE! The first time I ever heard Primus was on Beavis and Butt-head when they played Mud. I'm hoping since their setlists have been changing for each show we'll luck out...
Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Regretting my username

Wait, DigMySpanky....you're shitting on metalcore and you like Primus?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Wait, DigMySpanky....you're shitting on metalcore and you like Primus?
I hope you are not implying that Primus is metalcore. That would be fucking silly.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I hope you are not implying that Primus is metalcore. That would be fucking silly.
No, but this guy was saying how awful metalcore was and how people who like metalcore are "false", but he likes Primus. I know you yourself like Primus, but I consider them one of the most over-rated, obnoxious, and least enjoyable bands ever. Just thought it was a little hypocritical.

Tags
primus