After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 AM
N00B

Rush -- Uncasville, CT -- July 19th, 2010

Let me start off by saying that Rush is my favorite band in the whole wide world. I've loved them since 3rd grade when my dad took me to a show on the Vapor Trails tour. 9 years later(I'm 17 now), they still remain as my favorites.

Last night was my 4th Rush show, and they blew me away as always. They were technically proficient as always, showing why they are regarded by some as the best in the world at their instruments. The new set is pretty cool. Replacing the rotisserie chicken on Geddy's side were these crazy time machine-type things. I'm not sure exactly what they were, but they looked cool.

Every time I see them, their videos between and during songs get more and more hilarious. This time they had various comedic skits frequently during the 2 sets. At the beginning of the second set, when they played Moving Pictures in full(), they had short Monty Python-esque clips behind them. I'm not exactly sure why, but they were humorous. At the end of the show, after they left the stage, there was one final video. It showed the two guys from I Love You, Man backstage with Geddy, Alex, and Neil. It was very funny, and a great way to end an amazing show.

I thought their setlist was awesome. They played a couple songs that I don't think they've ever played live(Presto and Faithless). As well as Time Stand Still, which I don't think has been played on tour since Neil's daughter and wife died. They played all of the classics, of course, including Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Working Man, Limelight, 2112(unfortunately just Overture/Temples of Syrinx), Subdivisions, and La Villa Strangiato.

They also played the two new songs, BU2B and Caravan, which I thought were very well done. Caravan is my favorite of the two, but they were both performed perfectly.

The ubiquitous Neil Peart drum solo was there, too. This time it was much different than in the past few tours. He has new sounds on his electronic kit, and he didn't use the xylophone at all I don't think. Regardless of it being different, it was still fucking amazing. The world's best drummer showed the crowd why he was given that title.

The only qualm that I had about the set is that they didn't play anything from Vapor Trails(I was hoping that they would play One Little Victory, the song that got me into Rush when I was 8). They didn't play a few other songs that I wanted to hear, either, but I'm not complaining.

Rush puts on an amazing show, both musically and visually. The light show was an awesome accompaniment to the music. The 4 shows I've been to are definitely all on my top 10 shows ever. They will hopefully keep touring for more years to come, because I can't get enough.

Rush Setlist:
The Spirit of Radio
Time Stand Still
Presto
Stick It Out
Workin' Them Angels
Leave That Thing Alone
Faithless
BU2B
Freewill
Marathon(with extended guitar solo)
Subdivisions
--------------------------------
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
The Camera Eye
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs
Caravan
Drum Solo
Alex Lifeson Solo
Closer to the Heart
2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx
Far Cry
----------------------------------
La Villa Strangiato
Working Man
10/15-16 - Gwar/Suffocation/The Faceless/Rob Zombie/Alice Cooper
Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmeiselman View Post
I thought their setlist was awesome. They played a couple songs that I don't think they've ever played live(Presto and Faithless). As well as Time Stand Still, which I don't think has been played on tour since Neil's daughter and wife died. 2112(unfortunately just Overture/Temples of Syrinx)
TSS was last played on the Counterparts tour in 1994 which was before Neil's daughter and wife died. Yes, this is the firs time for Presto and Faithless live. I'm really looking forward to Presto when I see them friday as well as TSS, TCE and Marathon as it will be my first time of the six i've already seen them that i'll hear those.

I heard them do all of 2112 back in 1996. It's very cool for us dedicated fans to hear something like that in full. But most people didn't give a shit about any other part of the song but Overture/Temples. I saw them three times that tour and all the crowds were dead silent for the rest of the song after Overture/Temples was done. I doubt they'll be playing that in full ever again live.

Hemispheres is way better anyways maybe on their farewell tour, hopefully that doesn't happen for awhile, they can close the shows with that as a way to end their career
Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
I heard them do all of 2112 back in 1996. It's very cool for us dedicated fans to hear something like that in full. But most people didn't give a shit about any other part of the song but Overture/Temples. I saw them three times that tour and all the crowds were dead silent for the rest of the song after Overture/Temples was done. I doubt they'll be playing that in full ever again live.
I would think people would know all of 2112. That and moving pictures are the albums people would most likley have from rush.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Semper Fidelis

Nice review.

Really looking forward to seeing them August 7th (my tenth time)!
07/31 - W:O:A
Old 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM
N00B

I hope that I can get to see 2112 in full before they stop touring. It's an amazing song, and if people don't want to sit through Discovery, Presentation, Oracle: The Dream, Soliloquy, and the Finale, then fuck them.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
I would think people would know all of 2112. That and moving pictures are the albums people would most likley have from rush.
Yeah and Permanent Waves to. TSOR and FW were huge songs for them but if my 18 years of going to concerts has taught me anything it's that just because a lot of people bought a certian album doesn't mean they actually listen to it and learn everything on it.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Sad Wings Of Destiny

I wanted to go to this show so badly. I can only hope they swing by again next year for the new album.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 PM
I can't stop thinking big

Quote:
Originally Posted by girnny777 View Post
I wanted to go to this show so badly. I can only hope they swing by again next year for the new album.
I can assure you there's a pretty good possibility they'll be somewhere around that area again on the next leg next year, since it's supposed to be more extensive.
7/18 - Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper
Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 PM
N00B

Yeah. This one is a smaller tour to get people ready for the new album. Once it drops, they're going on a huge, Snakes & Arrows-length tour.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Sad Wings Of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRedWing13 View Post
I can assure you there's a pretty good possibility they'll be somewhere around that area again on the next leg next year, since it's supposed to be more extensive.
I'd kill for a show down in Bridgeport at the Arena at Harbor Yard. It's the same capacity as Mohegan Sun so it's not really a downgrade, and Judas Priest, KISS and Aerosmith have played there.. Basically:

10 minute drive vs. 90+ minute drive

10 minute drive pleas

Tags
rush